Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 02:07 PM   #1

Default 2000 fun finder single axle

Hi folks, Looking at a used S/A fun finder X. Kitchen in the rear and bed in the front. Looks like a full bath. I have been looking at Scamps to pull behind my Grand Cherokee but the price is pretty high. I don't know anything about these trailers. What kind of maintenance should I expect on the roof. Does it need periodic resealing? Are the trailers dependable? Thanks Bob

mgbbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #2

I miss read the information and the unit I am looking at is a 2009

Old 08-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

I am on my second Fun Finder, and I really like them. But no inexpensive trailer is problem-free. The roof has to be inspected regularly and sealed if necessary. Casitas and Scamps are more water tight, more expensive, and a little cramped for headroom.

And as with all manufacturers, a few Fun Finders are lemons. I know of two or three very credible folks who have gotten bad units -- these folks are not grouchy malcontents. Both of mine have been wonderful. Whether buying new or used, do a really thorough inspection. If you don't know how to do that, get someone knowledgeable to help you.

And then once you buy, ask lots of questions!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

Thanks, Any specific areas of concern other than the roof. I am assuming if there are no water stains there is a good chance there isn't a leak to date and then the issue is when to recaulk.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #5

You want to make sure the axles and wheels are in good shape. They can be replaced. And new tires are a must -- old tires are ticking time bombs.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #6

I'm on my 2nd Fun Finder.

First one - 2008 X-160 - was problem free.
Current - 2015 189FDS - has had it's issues and oh so very frustrating, but now that the issues are all fixed, I'm loving it.
The layout is wonderful.

But I have learned on this Forum that NO RV - no matter price or brand - is trouble free - it's the nature of the beast.
One guy here has a mantra - "Some Assembly Required"!

I've learned to go over every inch of "seam" on the outside (roof and slide included) at least once a year - more is better.
I took care of a couple suspicious seam areas all by myself and I'm a short, old lady! Just make sure you get the right caulk!

Be careful of those front windows - it's a known problem area.
In my newer 2015, the front window has been eliminated.

So, definitely give that 2009 a look and get yourself out there camping...
Old 08-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
Site Team

As Michelle said, inspection of the seams and resealing when necessary is an annual maintenance requirement. I have 2009 model that I bought new and no leaks in 7 years. But recaulking has been needed from time to time over the years. Kinda like changing the oil on your vehicle - part of standard maintenance and you can expect problems if you don't do it.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote