Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Default 2008 X160

Hi. I was surprised to find such a wonderful site! I just bought a x160 and am so excited, first travel trailer....still learning all the ling-go. Again, very excited, little nervous...since I don't know anything, quite literally, but will eagerly learn.

Anyone out there have any tips for a first timer? Any purchases I need to make that would help with the up keep or keep it clean. Any feed back/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ~

jstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #2

Hey jstock, another new owner here. I am by no means an expert, but I have logged about 4000 miles pulling a coachman 24RBQ around so if you have any questions, I will do my best to help out. What are you using as a tow vehicle and where are you looking to take your new trailer?

The one piece of advice I can offer is to look into getting a Equal-i-zer sway control hitch. Properly set up, both the tow vehicle and trailer are nice and level, and wind buffet is greatly reduced.

keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #3

Default keyser soze

Nice name! Is that from the movie Unusal Suspects? If not, nevermind. I am going to be using my 2006 Chrysler Pacifica for pulling. I am having a sway-bar put in. I was glad to hear you mention the sway-bar, it sounded like a really good idea, but you never know what they try to sell you, honestly. My sales guy and I clicked pretty good, he was very helpful....which seems like a no-brainer....but now-a-days, you never know.
As far as travel, well...I will take it out to some local places here in Washington State and see how it goes. Probably keep it close to home, for now til I get the hang of everything. I will be reading the owners manual...yeah what a geek, but have to start somewhere, right?

I have the option to purchase an extended 7 year warranty, covers everything, for $1500. Doesn't seem too steep, especially since I don't know everything about repairs, yet. Or does this seem like a waste? The factory warranty is 18 months....your input would be helpful.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #4

Yeah, it is from Unusual Suspects, I loved that movie, and its also the name of our male German Sheppard. He is supposed to be a fierce guard dog, but he is just a big puppy.
The Chrysler Pacifica is a great match for that trailer. You should have no problems pulling your X160 anywhere you want to go. And good choice on the sway bar set up, it firms up the link between the Pacifica and X160, making it safer on the road.

As to the warranty, for me, it is worth the piece of mind. You will be able to repair basic stuff, like screws coming loose, trim pieces loose and the like yourself, but if a window seal, or something in the electrical goes out, you will be covered. At what repair shops charge today, you could have $1500.00 or more in repairs just for one instance. If you plan to keep the X160, and use it fairly often, in my opinion, its money well spent.

And hey, don't knock us geeks! The world needs us!

I spent more than a month researching lite trailers to replace that thing we had and loved every minute of it. Then my wife and I spent at least 1 day a week, for another 6 weeks driving around looking at all the different models. We live in Phoenix, and ended up finding our 230DS down in Tucson. Now I am so ready for our first trip I can hardly stand it.

As soon as I figure out how to post, I will be posting pics of our trailer.

Good luck on your adventures, and post up pics of your trailer.
Talk to you later...
Old 03-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #5

Default I am the geek

That is great that you guys researched it! Usually that is what I would do too. I went in looking for a popup tent trailer and fell for the x160. Pretty much just like that. I checked the prices, he was on the lowside, so I went ahead with it.
yeah, I know nothing about RV's, trailers, etc. which is why I will be reading that manual like the Bible.
Sounds like I'm going to go ahead with the extended warranty, it just seems like a good way to cover everything. And yes, I can handle a screw driver, hammer, and plunger.....everything else, I'm making a phone call. Hopefully, in time...I would be able to get an idea of what's running right and what needs adjustment. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:02 AM   #6

Hey no problem, and good luck Tuesday!!

Keep us apprised of your progress and adventures!

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33