Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

Default Got a 160T FunFinder, Did a quick Reno, Going to Burning Man

Hey Folks, I picked up a little fun finder from a great owner recently. I needed something for Burning Man and didn't want to spend too much and weight was a concern.

Anyhow, I renovate homes and can't sit still so I put in new floors and a quick spruce up to the dinette. Its got a cool real wood counter and some slick paint and hardware. I was really stoked how easy these are to work on, its just a little house.

I also tinted the windows with a specialty exterior film for heat and privacy (its a one way mirror now) and changed a poo valve (God help me). The prior owner really cared for this trailer, I knew I was buying it right. Here's a slide show of the work I did. I'll report back after the burn on how the trailer performs.

Well, I can't figure out how to post an image. I had a photobucket album setup but the rules don't allow.

tmgrdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #2

Create a photo album on this site. Download you pics to it. When you want to post a pic, go to your album, click on the pic, copy the picture url, click on the "insert image" icon (looks like mountains w/a moon above them), paste the url and you're good to go.

Jwh92020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see your pictures. Sounds like you got a sweet little trailer.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #4

Old 08-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #5

Exterior after tint install.

Stock interior

Shellacking the cabinets so paint will stick to them. New flooring installed, purposely placed the lines horizontal to give a wider feel in the trailer.

Painted cabinets, butcher block counter going in.

Finished product

Cute lil camper
Old 10-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #6

Gorgeous! Do you still need curtains at night?
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Gorgeous! Do you still need curtains at night?
Yes, blinds are needed. A one way mirror works with whatever side has the least light. So daytime, the inside can't be seen. Nightime, it would be the opposite once the lights turn on.

The main perk is the film cuts 80% of the heat entering through the window. The trailer stays cool much longer on much less effort.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #8

Wow!! I missed this thread -- I was on the road almost all of August -- I am glad it popped up again! Dude, you could start a whole new career as a trailer remodeler. Very nicely done! Thanks for going to the effort of posting those photos.

How was Burning Man, by the way? Some folks who have gone said they could not really remember much about it . . . .
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Wow!! I missed this thread -- I was on the road almost all of August -- I am glad it popped up again! Dude, you could start a whole new career as a trailer remodeler. Very nicely done! Thanks for going to the effort of posting those photos.

How was Burning Man, by the way? Some folks who have gone said they could not really remember much about it . . . .
Thanks for the kind words, I'll be honest. The cumbersome process for getting images on this site had me not wanting to share the other mods I've done.

Burning man was amazing, had some issues w the trailer but nothing major and most were user error. I love the weird experiences and the playa delivered.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #10

tmgordon - Very nice work. Don't let the picture posting process deter you from showing your mods. How did the trailer do in the heat? Did you run a generator for the a/c or try some type of 12v swamp cooler? Or a you a hard core Burner who says heat be damned? I spent a few years in Phoenix. A/C was my saving grace. I'm thinking you could start a Burner Wagon building business.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #11

There is an easier way to post photos, like this one. We were boondocking in Idaho -- those are the Sawtooths above our coffee cups:

Here is how to post -- first, go to this site:

http://photoposting.is-great.net/

Then, follow the easy instructions -- either drag and drop your photo, or else select your photo from your hard drive. There is a 15 MB limit per picture -- that is big enough for almost all photos.

Once you drop your photo into the box, another box pops up with some HTML code. Copy that code.

Now, go back into our Fun Finder forum here, and paste that code right into your message. Don't even mess with the photo icon in the little menu bar above the message.

That's it!

And if you want to get fancy, you can select "make clickable" on that photo posting site, which enables the readers to see a larger version of the shot. I use that option when there is a photo that I really like:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Under the photo above, there should be a little button that says "click for larger image" or something like that.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwh92020 View Post
tmgordon - Very nice work. Don't let the picture posting process deter you from showing your mods. How did the trailer do in the heat? Did you run a generator for the a/c or try some type of 12v swamp cooler? Or a you a hard core Burner who says heat be damned? I spent a few years in Phoenix. A/C was my saving grace. I'm thinking you could start a Burner Wagon building business.
Is there a way to upload from a mobile phone? I couldn't figure out how. To take photos from my phone to a computer just to put on a website takes too much time and its not user friendly to me.

I felt soft going there with a trailer so I may be more of the roughing it type than others. I had a 6500 watt generator, it was shared between my trailer and my friend who used the bed of my truck with a window mounted ac unit going into the camper shell. We canopied over the shell and tinted the windows, it was hilariously cold and comfortable.

It was only really hot from 10am - 5pm so I would go out and explore, we barely ran the a/c. Also parking the trailer with the front facing south helped avoid sun exposure by position.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
There is an easier way to post photos, like this one. We were boondocking in Idaho -- those are the Sawtooths above our coffee cups:

Here is how to post -- first, go to this site:

http://photoposting.is-great.net/

Then, follow the easy instructions -- either drag and drop your photo, or else select your photo from your hard drive. There is a 15 MB limit per picture -- that is big enough for almost all photos.

Once you drop your photo into the box, another box pops up with some HTML code. Copy that code.

Now, go back into our Fun Finder forum here, and paste that code right into your message. Don't even mess with the photo icon in the little menu bar above the message.

That's it!

And if you want to get fancy, you can select "make clickable" on that photo posting site, which enables the readers to see a larger version of the shot. I use that option when there is a photo that I really like:

Click For Full-Size Image.

Under the photo above, there should be a little button that says "click for larger image" or something like that.
I appreciate the effort to show me this process. I'll take a look
Old 10-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #14

I'm not sure if you can go phone to website. If you join the Fun Finder group on Facebook, you can post phone to Facebook easily. As for being "soft" by taking a trailer - who says you can't "rough it" in style? I'm serious about you thinking about building/rehabbing trailers. If what you've posted is the quality of your work, you have a second calling.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwh92020 View Post
I'm not sure if you can go phone to website. If you join the Fun Finder group on Facebook, you can post phone to Facebook easily. As for being "soft" by taking a trailer - who says you can't "rough it" in style? I'm serious about you thinking about building/rehabbing trailers. If what you've posted is the quality of your work, you have a second calling.
I appreciate the kind words, my main line of work is flipping houses. I used this camper as a chance to test out some of my weirder ideas. But I don't think the profits potentials are as good

Once I figure out an easy way to get an image on here I'll show the neat divider curtain I created out of a vertical blind rail.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #16

You are doing what I should be doing. I do cabinet refacing for a couple of the big box stores. Been doing it since 1978. It really is time for a change. The housing market in OK is somewhat sketchy right now and the idea of having $ tied up for a major length of time at my age worries me. I've been through 5 trailers over the past 3 years. Started with a pop up, then a mid 70's Canned Ham,then I built a "Tiny House" type trailer from the frame up. The last one was a cargo trailer conversion. It was nice, but the wife said as nice as it was, it still looked like a cargo trailer. Made $ on each one, so that's a good thing. I found my 189FBR and she said buy it. I've done some work and have gotten it to be a safe, solid trailer. Now she wants to be able to take the dogs with us, so I'll be looking for a smallish toy hauler. I like the Fun Finder brand, so I'll be focusing on them.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #17

OK, all you handy guys -- there is an unmet market need for small rugged off pavement travel trailers -- absolutely no one is serving that market. Rather than rehabbing old trailers or flipping houses or building cabinets (all of which are more fun than a desk job), what about making a fortune in the new trailer business?

Just a thought -- and not a joke, either. I would do this in a minute if I were younger and more ambitious.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #18

Profdan - I would be all over that idea if my wife was more comfortable with the idea. We've discussed it, but much like tying $ up in a house flip, doing the same in a trailer has her concerned. I guess that is part of living in a state with a declining econmy.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #19

Well, come on out to California -- 40 million customers, hundreds of miles of mountains and deserts perfect for a boondocking trailer! But I hear you -- the cost and risk of starting a new business is very challenging.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #20

I was born & raised in Redondo Beach. Left San Diego in '04 for Memphis following my wife's career. Ended up in OK in '07. Who knew the remodel market would tank in '08? Spent a couple of years in Phoenix until her job brought her back to OK. Upside is that we have a house with a really low payment and no other iou's, so all the extra goes toward retirement.