Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #21

Yes, definitely Civil War. You should see his collection of artifacts. Unbelievably, and he sells nothing. He finds a lot in rivers and streams where he has researched battles and encampments. He is in Maryland near the Virginia border. He is also an amazing teacher. I would probably go for s Garrett Ace 350. But an AT Pro if I was really into it and flush with money. Of course I would want s pointer as well. Lol!! Why not wish for it all??? Haha. Where we live was a huge logging area. I know there are treasures to be found along these many two tracks. You know, dropped pocket knives, coins, tools, rtc. I have never seen anyone detecting around here ever. Then too we have three rivers and many lakes and dtreams within a few miles. Canoeists and kayakers drop a lot of stuff when they capsize. Haha.
But alas, I am poor and have way too many toys already. No funds to get more. But!!! I'm retired!!! Life is good!!

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #22

Ok John, I uploaded a couple of pics of the minie balls on my gallery.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #23

I have considered doing some metal detecting myself. Where I worked, we sold Garrett metal detectors and had many, many happy customers. When golfer Payne Stewart's plane crashed not far away, the Feds purchased a Garrett Metal Detector from us ... a 550 GTAx (if I recall) to search the crash site.

Not many places on interest to search in the Dakotas but a fellow that does it said after getting permission from the owners, search old farm sites. Best is where the outhouse was as coins fell from peoples pockets, under the clothesline and an prominent location visible from the kitchen window if you know where those locations are. Why from the kitchen window, because many buried their cash and the wife worked in the kitchen most of the time so could watch the spot while her husband was working in the fields.

Just what I was told by the fellow that wintered in CA and found jewelry on the beaches. He showed me 3 rings he found/kept. One had a 2.5 caret solitaire diamond in it and the others were well endowed with multiple diamonds, smallest being about 1/3rd caret.
He said in the plains states, searching indian campsites only produce a few rusted knife blades and such. Old homesites produced a some coins but not much else other than rusted scrap metal, horseshoes and the like.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #24

My apologies justinkase,
I didn't mean to get us so far off track... This seems to be a pretty good subject and I'm wondering if we should start another thread...???

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #25

John. I also need to apologize. We did hijack the thread. Not good.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #26

Yes, agree. We got off an a tangent here. Sorry.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #27

I love detecting and prospecting and am probably the one that got us off track; Justincase started asking about a 139 and that is a nice size trailer to hit some of the back roads... backroads lead to photography and prospecting and, and the quiet of less people... I apologize...

I just thought we needed to move the detecting conversation as it was getting pretty long, but I am new to the Forum compared to some of you... I can get caught up in some subjects and just go and go... kind of like the Ever-Ready Rabbit...

Speaking of off subject... The snow is slowing and the wind is picking up... About 6 inches here and I guess I better get busy... More on the way or so they say...

Old 01-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #28

It's raining over here. Paul got a good snowmobile ride in before it started. This won't help the trails. But in a couple of days back to the teens they say.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
It's raining over here. Paul got a good snowmobile ride in before it started. This won't help the trails. But in a couple of days back to the teens they say.
Good for Paul... I ended up with about 7 - 8 inches at our place and it took almost as long to clean the 4 foot wide 2 foot deep section in the street in front of the house and mailbox as it did to do the driveway , The mail carrier would have needed arms like Sasquatch to reach the mailbox...

A few more inches expected tomorrow a.m. , we were only supposed to get 3 - 6 inches last night and this a.m. ... Sooo, we'll see...

Old 01-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #30

Default Greetings from Maryland

Well, we've been pretty lucky so far this winter but this weekend is going to be a "burger" here! We are expecting snow, sleet and ice in some way or all together! UGH! Gotta love winter in the Midwest...NOT
Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #31

No idea what the "official snowfall amount" last night/this AM was but I moved about 6 inches off the driveway/sidewalk this AM.

Of course, as soon as I finished, the motor grader came by and left a nice ridge of snow across the driveway so had to go out and clear it.

I'm guessing tomorrow they will clear the other street (live on a corner) and I will get to clear the snow from in front of that driveway and the sidewalk again as there is no boulevard between the curb and sidewalk.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #32

Snow forecast for here too over the weekend.......and 20 - 25 below zero tomorrow night.

Keeps the riff raff away and skeeters too.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Snow forecast for here too over the weekend.......and 20 - 25 below zero tomorrow night.

Keeps the riff raff away and skeeters too.

I don't know about the Rif Raf, buy it will definitely keep the skeeters away...

We must have a snow plow driver trained by the same school that trained ours... I cleared anther 5" off the driveway and in front of the driveway, mailbox, and yard... AND, the snowplow threw a pile right back... I was just getting warm too...

Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post

We must have a snow plow driver trained by the same school that trained ours... I cleared anther 5" off the driveway and in front of the driveway, mailbox, and yard... AND, the snowplow threw a pile right back... I was just getting warm too...
Yup ...... I view it as my "winter exercise" program.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #35

Ha, Ha, Yep... I use it for the same thing... hopefully to keep my weight down, an ongoing project...

Old 01-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #36

We love to complain about the plow drivers but heck, what are they supposed to do? Stop and shovel out each drive? Or maybe lift the blade at each one? Lol!! Up here people get creative with those shields they place in front of their mailboxes so they won't get plowed over. We've been lucky up here; no shield and no plow over. Downstate we had a box that we would find lying in the yard when we got home frequently. It was quick release. Lol! Only once did the mail fly out of it.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
We love to complain about the plow drivers but heck, what are they supposed to do? Stop and shovel out each drive? Or maybe lift the blade at each one? Lol!! Up here people get creative with those shields they place in front of their mailboxes so they won't get plowed over. We've been lucky up here; no shield and no plow over. Downstate we had a box that we would find lying in the yard when we got home frequently. It was quick release. Lol! Only once did the mail fly out of it.

There are "snow gates" that are installed on motor graders that the driver can lower .. it holds the snow back until past a driveway and then lifted to let the snow out the end of the blade.

Many cities use 'snow gates' on the motor graders for snow removal.

Here is a video: https://vimeo.com/773143
Old 01-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #38
Site Team

I remember those snowplows from when I was kid in upstate NY. The snowplows always seemed to show up right after I shoveled the driveway like they did it on purpose.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
There are "snow gates" that are installed on motor graders that the driver can lower .. it holds the snow back until past a driveway and then lifted to let the snow out the end of the blade.

Many cities use 'snow gates' on the motor graders for snow removal.

Here is a video: https://vimeo.com/773143
All trucks here in rural Michigan...and they go about 50mph. I guess they figure time is money. Maybe they use graders in cities. That thing was creeping along.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I remember those snowplows from when I was kid in upstate NY. The snowplows always seemed to show up right after I shoveled the driveway like they did it on purpose.
Lol! Yeah, they were probably waiting around the corner till you finished. Lol!