Old 09-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Greetings from Maryland

Just acquired a very nice 2006 T139. Been a while (25 years) since we last owned a TT, but jumping in again to see how it goes. A lot of changes in
equipment since last we traveled. Both the wife and I are recently retired, hoping to roam about some. Getting my TV set up, and hopefully can be ready to roll in the next couple of weeks. Counting on the collective knowledge of the
forum residents when I have the inevitable questions.

justinkase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
APD

Smile

Welcome!
We too own a T139 and have been happy for the most part. Other than the under sized axles that were installed in them we've had very few problems. We're working on replacing the undersized Dexter torsion axle with a spring type in the near future.
We like the small size and coziness of the T139 and the size makes it great for towing/camping here in the Great Smokeys/Southern Blue Ridge area.

1993 Chevy "Shorty" Van
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

We bought a used 2003 T 139 in 2005 and used it a LOT till 2011. We sold it and bought a new X139, which we use between 60 and 90 nights per year -- just got back from a month long trip from Calif to Utah and Idaho.

A 139 is fine for two people, as long as at least one of them is very short and both of them get along well together. Great for boondocking in dense forests, narrow twisty roads, and cramped gas stations.

It looks like Cruiser no longer makes such a short trailer, which is a pity.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 AM   #4

Justinkase, welcome, I also just purchased a used 2008, T139. I am new to the TT business and looking forward to some sight seeing and adventure.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #5

Looking for a cover for my T139. Anybody find one that's a good fit for a shorty?
The smallest I've found so far says "fits up to 16 foot". Seems like there'd be a little
cover left over.
justinkase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
APD

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkase View Post
Looking for a cover for my T139. Anybody find one that's a good fit for a shorty?
The smallest I've found so far says "fits up to 16 foot". Seems like there'd be a little
cover left over.
Yeah, 16' is gonna be a little baggy. I've looked as well and so far have not found a cover for the 139.
1993 Chevy "Shorty" Van
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

For my X-139, I use a large plastic bag.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:11 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum! We have a 189 but it's still tiny compared to most we see in the campgrounds. Tiny has some real advantages we feel. Much easier to maneuver around and many campsites have limitations on how long a rig can be. This summer my husband was even able to park us "backwards" so that we would have a nicer view of the lake at one campground. We tow with a Jeep Liberty and find it works fine for our Michigan terrain, but if we got into mountains it would struggle. 25 years ago we had a 32 foot fifth wheel that we pulled with a Ford F-250 one ton dually diesel. We traveled around the US for 11 months in it. Yes, things have changed a lot!!!
If we ever go full time again it would be with a fifth wheel most likely.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkase View Post
Just acquired a very nice 2006 T139. Been a while (25 years) since we last owned a TT, but jumping in again to see how it goes. A lot of changes in
equipment since last we traveled. Both the wife and I are recently retired, hoping to roam about some. Getting my TV set up, and hopefully can be ready to roll in the next couple of weeks. Counting on the collective knowledge of the
forum residents when I have the inevitable questions.
Howdy justinkase,
Welcome to the Forum and the world of FF's... Love ours, a 190-XT, X-tra (Toy Hauler)... And don't be afraid to ask questions... See Ya on the road...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2008 CruiserRV FunFinder Xtra XT-190 Toy Hauler
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Welcome to the forum! We have a 189 but it's still tiny compared to most we see in the campgrounds. Tiny has some real advantages we feel. Much easier to maneuver around and many campsites have limitations on how long a rig can be. This summer my husband was even able to park us "backwards" so that we would have a nicer view of the lake at one campground. We tow with a Jeep Liberty and find it works fine for our Michigan terrain, but if we got into mountains it would struggle. 25 years ago we had a 32 foot fifth wheel that we pulled with a Ford F-250 one ton dually diesel. We traveled around the US for 11 months in it. Yes, things have changed a lot!!!
If we ever go full time again it would be with a fifth wheel most likely.
Hi Mich,
I like your post and advice for newbies...
Many folks jump into the world of trailer and are sold by the glitz and jazz of these new pretty rigs, where bigger seems better and is sold so...

It is rough to get a 40 foot 5th wheel into many campgrounds and even park trails... I took ours (OAL @ about 19-1/2 ft.) through Teton Nat. Park and Yellowstone and if I remember they had a limit of something like 30 ft. for many roads off the main road, I can really see the comfort of a big rig for a full-timer, but for those just getting away for a weekend, week, or even a month, anything much longer than around 20 - 25 ft. is going to limit places to go... Try pulling a monstrous 40 ft. 5th Whl. all the way to the Trails End, near the Boundary Waters of Northern Mn... Most of the road is great and you could probably get it there, but I would prefer my 19-1/2 ft. rig... We went to Trails End in 2015 and they were doing road work (Some new culverts) about 3/4 of the way up from Grand Marais; the rain was falling and road was slick, boggy mud; we actually had to lock in 4-wheel drive for several miles going and coming... I would not have wanted to be pulling a large heavy, and obviously top-heavy rig in there... I guarantee, in one area, it would have gotten stuck and may have even toppled over...
Love my rig and even use my OAL @ 13 ft. Cargo Conversion on occasion... I really like the amenities of the FF, but once in a while the CC works best...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2008 CruiserRV FunFinder Xtra XT-190 Toy Hauler
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote