Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Default Greetings from Maryland

Just acquired a very nice 2006 T139. Been a while (25 years) since we last owned a TT, but jumping in again to see how it goes. A lot of changes in
equipment since last we traveled. Both the wife and I are recently retired, hoping to roam about some. Getting my TV set up, and hopefully can be ready to roll in the next couple of weeks. Counting on the collective knowledge of the
forum residents when I have the inevitable questions.

justinkase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
APD

Smile

Welcome!
We too own a T139 and have been happy for the most part. Other than the under sized axles that were installed in them we've had very few problems. We're working on replacing the undersized Dexter torsion axle with a spring type in the near future.
We like the small size and coziness of the T139 and the size makes it great for towing/camping here in the Great Smokeys/Southern Blue Ridge area.

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

We bought a used 2003 T 139 in 2005 and used it a LOT till 2011. We sold it and bought a new X139, which we use between 60 and 90 nights per year -- just got back from a month long trip from Calif to Utah and Idaho.

A 139 is fine for two people, as long as at least one of them is very short and both of them get along well together. Great for boondocking in dense forests, narrow twisty roads, and cramped gas stations.

It looks like Cruiser no longer makes such a short trailer, which is a pity.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 AM   #4

Justinkase, welcome, I also just purchased a used 2008, T139. I am new to the TT business and looking forward to some sight seeing and adventure.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #5

Looking for a cover for my T139. Anybody find one that's a good fit for a shorty?
The smallest I've found so far says "fits up to 16 foot". Seems like there'd be a little
cover left over.
justinkase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
APD

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkase View Post
Looking for a cover for my T139. Anybody find one that's a good fit for a shorty?
The smallest I've found so far says "fits up to 16 foot". Seems like there'd be a little
cover left over.
Yeah, 16' is gonna be a little baggy. I've looked as well and so far have not found a cover for the 139.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 12-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

For my X-139, I use a large plastic bag.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:11 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum! We have a 189 but it's still tiny compared to most we see in the campgrounds. Tiny has some real advantages we feel. Much easier to maneuver around and many campsites have limitations on how long a rig can be. This summer my husband was even able to park us "backwards" so that we would have a nicer view of the lake at one campground. We tow with a Jeep Liberty and find it works fine for our Michigan terrain, but if we got into mountains it would struggle. 25 years ago we had a 32 foot fifth wheel that we pulled with a Ford F-250 one ton dually diesel. We traveled around the US for 11 months in it. Yes, things have changed a lot!!!
If we ever go full time again it would be with a fifth wheel most likely.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkase View Post
Just acquired a very nice 2006 T139. Been a while (25 years) since we last owned a TT, but jumping in again to see how it goes. A lot of changes in
equipment since last we traveled. Both the wife and I are recently retired, hoping to roam about some. Getting my TV set up, and hopefully can be ready to roll in the next couple of weeks. Counting on the collective knowledge of the
forum residents when I have the inevitable questions.
Howdy justinkase,
Welcome to the Forum and the world of FF's... Love ours, a 190-XT, X-tra (Toy Hauler)... And don't be afraid to ask questions... See Ya on the road...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Welcome to the forum! We have a 189 but it's still tiny compared to most we see in the campgrounds. Tiny has some real advantages we feel. Much easier to maneuver around and many campsites have limitations on how long a rig can be. This summer my husband was even able to park us "backwards" so that we would have a nicer view of the lake at one campground. We tow with a Jeep Liberty and find it works fine for our Michigan terrain, but if we got into mountains it would struggle. 25 years ago we had a 32 foot fifth wheel that we pulled with a Ford F-250 one ton dually diesel. We traveled around the US for 11 months in it. Yes, things have changed a lot!!!
If we ever go full time again it would be with a fifth wheel most likely.
Hi Mich,
I like your post and advice for newbies...
Many folks jump into the world of trailer and are sold by the glitz and jazz of these new pretty rigs, where bigger seems better and is sold so...

It is rough to get a 40 foot 5th wheel into many campgrounds and even park trails... I took ours (OAL @ about 19-1/2 ft.) through Teton Nat. Park and Yellowstone and if I remember they had a limit of something like 30 ft. for many roads off the main road, I can really see the comfort of a big rig for a full-timer, but for those just getting away for a weekend, week, or even a month, anything much longer than around 20 - 25 ft. is going to limit places to go... Try pulling a monstrous 40 ft. 5th Whl. all the way to the Trails End, near the Boundary Waters of Northern Mn... Most of the road is great and you could probably get it there, but I would prefer my 19-1/2 ft. rig... We went to Trails End in 2015 and they were doing road work (Some new culverts) about 3/4 of the way up from Grand Marais; the rain was falling and road was slick, boggy mud; we actually had to lock in 4-wheel drive for several miles going and coming... I would not have wanted to be pulling a large heavy, and obviously top-heavy rig in there... I guarantee, in one area, it would have gotten stuck and may have even toppled over...
Love my rig and even use my OAL @ 13 ft. Cargo Conversion on occasion... I really like the amenities of the FF, but once in a while the CC works best...

Old 12-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #11

John I feel the same. We saw many big huge rigs in the campgrounds this summer but not the people. Their vehicle was there too. We always wondered if they just went there to hang out inside their rig away from home. If you figure how many nights that someone actually camps a $50k big rig's cost could be pretty high per trip.
But some people don't need to worry about money I guess.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

Welcome justinkace. Lots of info here so never be hesitant to ask questions.
As for size, when went looking for a small Toy Hauler, first look was at a 19 or 20 footer for maneuverability and towing economy. I'd spent about a decade pulling manufactured homes up to 16' wide and 85 foot long so versed in size restrictions.

However, the very small size was quickly nixed by the wife who is claustrophobic so ended up with a XT276 at 30'. We are very pleased with the unit and understand each has their own needs/desires.

Best for a Happy New year enjoying your unit.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
APD

I've posted this before so I'll just paste it here:
"It can get a little close in a 139 at times but that just means it's cozy! Being the tiniest in the campground seems to make for friendly neighbors.
When you're the smallest sometimes your campfire is the busiest."

Eagle's right, It's all about whatever you enjoy the most. We like exploring small towns and back roads so a smaller rig suits us better.
People ask me if the 139 stands for 13"9" and I say no, it stands for 139". I love to watch 'em do the math.....

It does make it hard to find a cover that fits......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #14

Good post APD,
You, Eagle, and Mich pretty much covered it...

I love the smaller trailers, the FF, at 19', is probably marginal too large for where I like to camp, it fits in the large camps and most of the small sites, but being a Toy Hauler in the back, if I can't camp there, I can walk or ride there, as the case may be...

My first trailer was my little Cargo Conversion, with a galley and insulated... I built it to be pulled off-road with my 4-wheel drive Blazer on prospecting excursions... The double flip axle can be set to 17" clearance or 24" clearance between the ground and bottom of trailer... It works for what I built it to do, but the FF is more comfortable for longer trips in the average parks...

So, as previously said, the camping rig is determined by the needs and wants of the camper his/herself...

Here are a few of shots of the "road" into a weekend camping (prospecting spot) the Blazer and CC Trailer, and the sun casting its first glow on the desert, from the camp...
Attached Thumbnails
Early morning desert - Vew from the trailer - Why I like to Get Away From People.jpg   Drove about 5 miles up a sandwash and several points the walls closed in - small.jpg   Starting down a pretty rough spot on the road to camp.jpg   Bradshaw Camp - Web Large.jpg  

Old 01-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #15

Nice way to get to places that many could not go John. That road looks pretty rough!!! All rock too! I like the minimalist movement toward many things. Sometimes I think I would even enjoy tent camping in a beautiful spot once in a while but our equipments long gone and we are in sell mode now, not buy mode.
Glad you kept the little guy!
M
Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #16

John_C As you prospect in the desert areas, have you ever found anything of value?
Just curious as visited with a 'prospector' who used a metal detector. He said he found nothing of value in the deserts of AZ, NV but had great success metal detecting on the beaches of CA during the winter months when most beaches are vacant...finding gold rings, diamond rings, etc. people lost in the water. Said he sold most of it to a jeweler in CA and more than paid for his trip and time being a snowbird.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #17

In the old days when folks used money and not plastic, beach-goers would lose a lot of change. (Go buy a hot dog, come back with quarters, no pockets to put them in . . . . )

Every evening, flocks of older gentlemen would wander around on the sand with beeping and chirping metal detectors, harvesting silver. Apparently, it was really lucrative. Not so much anymore -- there are many fewer treasure hunters in the evening than there used to be.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
John_C As you prospect in the desert areas, have you ever found anything of value?
Just curious as visited with a 'prospector' who used a metal detector. He said he found nothing of value in the deserts of AZ, NV but had great success metal detecting on the beaches of CA during the winter months when most beaches are vacant...finding gold rings, diamond rings, etc. people lost in the water. Said he sold most of it to a jeweler in CA and more than paid for his trip and time being a snowbird.
Hi Eagle,
Oh, I pick up bit of gold, silver, and some old items... I used to laugh that I didn't find enough to quit my day-job though... I actually built that little CC and assembled equipment so I could detect more often in the desert after I retired... The winter and early spring rains, along with cool temps are great detecting times, but the Boss moved me to MN, making detecting the desert quite spendy $$$...

As far as coin-detecting at beaches and parks, I just never developed an interest for that kind of detecting. I really love the desert, picking around old mine dumps and looking for the nuggets and "treasures" the "Old Timers" missed/lost/or just left behind... It's not the monetary value of the find, it's the romance that gets me...

Last year, I came across an old (Late 1800 - early 1900 era) encampment and detected a bunch of melted lead and several round balls scattered about. The round balls exhibited heavy flash as might be left by an old worn mold... At another location, I found a Henry .40 cal. rimfire case at about 14" deep, way up on the side of a hill... no roads or mining activity close. The shell had been fired three times (reloaded twice) as indicated by uniform firing pin marks... These finds make one conjure up all sorts of stories of why and what... Were the folks at the old encampment casting bullets as they were being overrun by an overwhelming enemy??...

Was the single cartridge on the hillside, fired by the old timer at a deer or maybe an indian, or maybe a bad guy trying to rob him... Ahhh, the stories that come to mind... These finds are what makes metal detecting interesting...

I once found on old 45/70 case that had been shortened to fire in a 45/60 rifle; it had a plug in the end and when removed, I found several little gold nuggets inside... Did the "Nugget Cache" fall out of the old timers pocket... Did he or she just drop it... or... or... Ahhh, the stories that come to mind...

To me, these finds are truly the real treasures...

The "Romance" for me is finding that bit of history that is of little to no monetary value, maybe a gold nugget, just waking in the early morning desert, and listening to the morning dove and the quail... and smelling early morning coffee mixed with the sweet aroma of sagebrush, dampened by the early morning dew or rain... I wish all could experience such a romance and any of you that detect or camp, cherish your finds, fill all your holes, and leave the country cleaner than found...

Old 01-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #19

John I read your reply to Eagle with a smile on my face. I loved hearing about your love affair with detecting in the desert and why. I know it must have been hard for you to leave AZ for that reason. I also liked your responsible comment about filling your holes. You remind me of Beau Ouimette (Aquachigger) he detects in the states affected by the Civil War with the same kind of reverence and enthusiasm. I've told you about his YouTube channel before I believe. I recently won an Un-fired mini ball, a fired mini ball and some melted lead on his Patreon channel.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
John I read your reply to Eagle with a smile on my face. I loved hearing about your love affair with detecting in the desert and why. I know it must have been hard for you to leave AZ for that reason. I also liked your responsible comment about filling your holes. You remind me of Beau Ouimette (Aquachigger) he detects in the states affected by the Civil War with the same kind of reverence and enthusiasm. I've told you about his YouTube channel before I believe. I recently won an Un-fired mini ball, a fired mini ball and some melted lead on his Patreon channel.
Congratulations Mich...
Was it a Civil War minie-ball... You can often date and determine North or South by the type, size, number, and spacing of the rings/grooves in them... A Google search on the Mini-Ball or Minie-Ball may help you... Here is one interesting site:
Minie Ball | HistoryNet

Yes, it was difficult to leave two of my kids and the desert... I grew up in a very small town in Southern AZ and even went to a 2-room elementary school and the town still has a population of maybe 500...

I never liked the heat and crime of Phoenix and Tucson, but that was where the jobs were... and was looking for another place to move, but did not expect to move almost 2,000 miles!!

The Boss promised "To Let" me travel back each year, and even though we still get in a discussion every year about it, I am still able to make the trip...

You need to get a detector (There a couple models that are submersible) and see what lies around the places you travel... CHECK The Laws Before Breaking Out The Detector as There Are A Lot Of Laws Stating If, Where, And What.. There were a lot of old mines and towns in Michigan and the upper Mid-West, some of them date way back, if you get there before the weeds grow too high AND there are no restriction on metal detecting, you may find some more old stuff to go with your Minie-Ball...