Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

Default Happy to be here!

This is great. I just bought a 2006 16 ft Shadow Cruiser. I am new to the RV scene and need information. I drove 300 miles to pick it up and it towed very nice on the way back on my 2011 F 150 4x4 crew cab. The truck is a new purchase this month also. I upgraded from my 96 Nissan hardbody and I am in cruise control dream world. I am retired and am looking forward to travel and camping. So far I have looked at a couple posts that have answered a couple questions and directions to get information. I am looking forward to getting my trailer repaired so everything functions and I am confident with it's use.

onemoroni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:55 AM   #2

Welcome aboard.

Everyone was new to the RV scene once so don't be afraid to ask questions. Learning from those 'who have been there before' can and will save you time and $$.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:23 PM   #3

onemoroni, I am guessing you are in Utah, right? (Correct me if I am wrong!) Where are you planning to travel?
Old 08-24-2019, 10:20 PM   #4

Thank you, I'm in New Mexico. I will be trying to find the enchantment here.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #5

The person who sold the trailer to me was somewhat of a scam. He said everything worked in it and when I tried it out only a couple things worked on outside power. After messaging him and getting nowhere I concluded he had done a quick flip presenting it as a long time family item. Finally I checked the battery and found the connections loose. Then I considered the backward positive and negative colored wire and switched polarity. Magically everything came to life except the fridge so far. I did get it for a fair price and it is in good shape.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #6

Hmmm. What happens when you turn the fridge on -- does power go on at all?

New Mexico! Lots of great camping right nearby. What area of New Mexico, if I may ask?
Old 08-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #7

Well-congrats on your purchase and your adventure in camping and camper repair! Not sure on the 2006 models/or the refrigerator you have. Some refrigerators only operate on propane or electric (110V or when connected to shore power). There are some that operate on battery as well, but they can bleed a battery down pretty quickly so that's a negative. Many have the simple switch: Auto/Gas when in the auto position, it senses the 110V connection and will run off electricity. When disconnected, it senses no power and ignites the propane burner. I'm not sure about the 3-way refrigerators switching modes.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #8

Thank you for your help. I left the fridge on 110 power and it took a while, but it is cooling now. I am going to monitor it with a temp gauge and then try it with propane. As suggested in another thread I will get the manufacturer and model info to search for data online. Thanks again. All seems to be functional. Now my attention is going to what service may be needed.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #9

Four corners.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #10

Wow!! You are right near the Goosenecks! That's my 139 in that shot -- a cold October day, unlimited visibility:

Click For Full-Size Image.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoroni1 View Post
Thank you for your help. I left the fridge on 110 power and it took a while, but it is cooling now. I am going to monitor it with a temp gauge and then try it with propane. As suggested in another thread I will get the manufacturer and model info to search for data online. Thanks again. All seems to be functional. Now my attention is going to what service may be needed.
Depending on the make of your frig......here is how to set the temperature from warmer to cooler. Maybe this will help some.

Here is another:

Notice the comment about not running your frig when traveling. I, and many others, disagree. I always run mine when traveling to keep the contents cold. Some fear, if there is an accident and the propane line ruptures, there is the possibility of a fire. Same reason for turning off the frig when filling with fuel. Some states with long tunnels have regulations that make running the frig when going thru them illegal.......so take note.

Happy camping.