Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #1

Default Haven't bought yet cause I still have questions

I am new to this group. I have never camped a day in my life. But I am seriously thinking about buying a used Fun Finder trailer. I want to use it as my "traveling hotel" for work. I have been toying with this idea off and on for 4 years. But now I think I am ready. I found a trailer earlier this summer that was perfect but I debated too long and now it is gone. So I started all over with reasearch and found out about the Fun Finder.

I have some questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

I have a Ford Escape. What kind of hitch do I need? I have one already that I can use for a bike rack and also a utility trailer. Do I need another kind? Do I nee a stability bar to tow (the model I am considering is a 2006 lightweight 189FR). Also do I have to install special brakes?

This might see dumb, but the bed is against the wall. How do you make the bed?

I have to have satellite TV! Where is a good place to get a receiver and dish? I was thinking about getting the dish that will find the satellite.

Lastly (for now) is they want $6200. Is that a fair price? I can't figure out how to determine if it is good or not. The pics look like it has been nicely kept. I plan to go see it tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

DBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:27 PM   #2

That sounds like a good price. Not sure if the Escape is an adequate tow vehicle, especially in the mountains.

Making the bed is not too hard. But we have developed a shortcut. We arrange the cushions. Then we spread out a memory foam mattress topper, which is encased in essentially a giant pillow case (two flat sheets sewn together). The bed is now made! No need to tuck in a fitted sheet.

We use a friction anti-sway bar, not a weight distribution hitch. But our trailer is really small.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:12 AM   #3

Hi, Babylon!

Welcome to the ever-perplexing world of RVing!

The thing that struck me in your post was your tow vehicle. I Googled its towing capacity (without knowing your specific vehicle's specs), and I don't see how the Escape can do a 189. Max towing weight (2016) with a required Class II towing package is 3,500. Max tongue weight is 350.

Hopefully, others with WAY more knowledge and experience than I have will chime in here.

Making the bed is not a lot of fun, but I'm a short, old woman - I get 'er done every day. I have a Winegard CarryOut antenna and just take a Directv receiver from home - works great!

Price, to me, seems a tad high...2 years ago, I sold my 2008 X-160 (shelter kept and well-cared for) for $5,000 (my hitch not included)

Now, get that tow vehicle figured out and the rest is a breeze...have fun!!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:45 AM   #4

Hello, we have a 2008 189 FBR and bought it here in Michigan for $6900 in January. We have been towing it with a Jeep Liberty 3.7 liter six cylinder and feel that we could use a heftier vehicle, especially if we towed in any altitude. It has a towing capacity of 5000 pounds. We can almost max it out by not dumping the tanks. I agree with Michelle that your vehicle would not be a good one to pull a 189FBR. We have a round bar EZ equalizer hitch and the necessary brake controller.
We hate to make the bed but do it. We have a 65 pound gel infused memory foam mattress.
Oh, by the way, we bought from a dealer who tried to add on over $900 to the price for a "thorough" walk through. We said "no" of course, and they accepted that answer. We still got a walk through.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #5

I am not an expert but have been towing for many years ! I highly reccomend making sure your tow vehicle is rated for at the very minimum for the trailer you are towing, usually I use the the total weight capacity of the trailer (loaded) to determine what my tow vehicle rating should be. I normally try to make sure my my tow vehicle is rated for higher than that trailers total weight. As far as brakes and weight distribution hitches, if your trailer has brakes i highly reccomend having a brake system installed it is well worth it considering it helps in stopping power both with normal braking and in emergency situations.You may also find the weight distribution hitch very helpful as it will help level out the trailer and the tow vehicle, usually by taking the weight off the hitch and transferring it to the trailer. These hitches usually incorporate a sway bar system that will also help towing as well. Most of this is from experience and just my opinion but i hope you find it helpful.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #6

Information on weight distribution hitches.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #7

I have the x160 and I towed with my traverse that had a tow package on it and even though it towed fine you could still feel the pull of the trailer with the V6. The x160 has surge brakes and not electric so I didn't have to do any of that. I now have a suburban so have no issues with pulling it this year, but now the trailer I want to buy is even lighter and sleeps even less, although a lot more $$ LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER I want to get away from LP gas, one less thing for me to do when packing up the kids to go. Have fun and good luck.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your input! I am learning so much.
DBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #9

Wow you sold yours for a great price! Wish I would have found yours when I was shopping. Here in MI I couldn't find one in good shape less then $8000, I finally got mine at the dealer for $10500, I got the inspection waived but by the time I got the sway/WD hitch the price was pushed over $10k. I really wanted the space with extra bunks but now I would rather have ceiling cabinets for storage and squeeze in a larger bed together . I am happy with the work I put I to mine though, the slip covers, the brown wallpaper trim removed, added a tv and now the electric water heater option (since at the campground electric is paid for I'm gonna enjoy mine while I have it and if it sells it sells, but I looked for over a year before I found this floor model and it wasn't gone by the time I got around to check them out. Finding isn't as hard as beating the other buyers at times. The issues now are the prices on the new ones are coming down.....but I just didn't want a hybrid with pop out sides so I wanted this one. Again what a great price yours was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep View Post
Hi, Babylon!

Welcome to the ever-perplexing world of RVing!

The thing that struck me in your post was your tow vehicle. I Googled its towing capacity (without knowing your specific vehicle's specs), and I don't see how the Escape can do a 189. Max towing weight (2016) with a required Class II towing package is 3,500. Max tongue weight is 350.

Hopefully, others with WAY more knowledge and experience than I have will chime in here.

Making the bed is not a lot of fun, but I'm a short, old woman - I get 'er done every day. I have a Winegard CarryOut antenna and just take a Directv receiver from home - works great!

Price, to me, seems a tad high...2 years ago, I sold my 2008 X-160 (shelter kept and well-cared for) for $5,000 (my hitch not included)

Now, get that tow vehicle figured out and the rest is a breeze...have fun!!
4x4ldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #10

Here is another I found that doesn't have the front bunk and more than I paid for mine! (although a 2009). 2009 R-Vision Trail-Lite TrailLite 16' Travel Trailer (YB443-AQ685)
im4x4ldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #11

Hi DBabylon,
I think everyone has answered your questions, but I want to jump in to welcome you to the Forum and add my 2 cents...

I like the idea of the traveling hotel...

Your Tow Vehicle (TV) and brakes have been covered pretty well... Pulling, controlling, and stopping are the big issues and your TV needs to be rated to to tow at least the weight of the trailer... I have a FF XT-190Xtra (Toy Hauler) and can easily reach the 6200# GW. I have a Chevy 1/2 ton Crew Cab 4x4 P.U. with a Max Tow limit of 10,900... and I do not use any special distribution hitches... AND I definitely use trailer brakes. I may be mistaken, but believe that most of the states require brakes on trailer exceeding 2900
#'s. With that said, if you have trailer brakes, use them... it is a horrible feeling to be shoved down the road to an unknown ending by your trailer!!!

If you "must" have satellite TV, there are many different ones on the market... I do not have a satellite system, but just updated my TV antenna and installed a signal finder that work great in most areas for the Boss and myself...

As far as making the bed against a wall, get fitted sheets and start with the most difficult corners... usually the head of the bed... I bet Walt Disney could have made a pretty good episode of Daffy Duck making the bed in a small TT...

$6200 sounds pretty good to me (I paid a little more than twice that for mine)... be sure to look it over very well and if you can get a trailer knowledgeable person to go with you, all the better...

Here is a pretty good idea of what you need to look at when buying a used RV/Trailer... I will add that you need to look for signs of water leaks from both your water system and outside water leaks... TTs with front windows can be prone to leaks if not maintained properly, water damage and mold repairs can quickly sour that great price...
How To Buy a Used RV

Good luck and I hope to meet you sometime on the road...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #12

And a little FYI - here's a screenshot of an iOS app called TV Towers ($1.99, I think). Shows you where local tv stations are, based on your current location (yellow arrow), and when you tap the station's icon, it's broadcast radius appears, along with more information...shows you where to point your antenna.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
That sounds like a good price. Not sure if the Escape is an adequate tow vehicle, especially in the mountains.

Making the bed is not too hard. But we have developed a shortcut. We arrange the cushions. Then we spread out a memory foam mattress topper, which is encased in essentially a giant pillow case (two flat sheets sewn together). The bed is now made! No need to tuck in a fitted sheet.

We use a friction anti-sway bar, not a weight distribution hitch. But our trailer is really small.
What thickness is your topper? Do you know what brand or where you bought it? I've read so many threads about what people don't like.
That is what we would like to do.
Our t-160 cushions are fine to sleep on but we like a sheet under us instead of putting our sleeping bags just on top of the cushions. Trying to wrestle a fitted sheet onto the cushions is a chore.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:57 PM   #14

I'm not Professor Dan, but I do have a topper on the bed in the camper. I bought a 3" topper from bed bath beyond. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a thicker one, but even at just 3", it is amazingly comfortable for me.

I've heard some folks think they feel "hot" though.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #15

Are you planning on pulling it off every morning to set up the dinette? I'm wanting something that will roll up small enough to put on the "cut down" bunk over the dinette. When we bought the FF the previous owner had taken out part of the bunk and left just a 2' shelf.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #16

oh sorry, I kinda misunderstood and probably misled you there. I use the memory foam topper on my queen size mattress, not on the cushions in the dinette.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #17

We are among those that think memory foam alone is hot. It seems to hold your body heat. We have gel infused memory foam mattresses in our home and camper. It takes care of that problem. Amazon has several available. Just checked.

Tags
decorating, fair price, hitch, satellite