Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

Default Hello from AZ, 2012 FF XT-276

New to the forum, have owned the FF for 2 years now and purchased used from young military couple who used it to transition from one duty station to another. I am excited to join the forum to learn more about the FF and to track arising issues and fixes/ upgrades and modifications. Looking forward to sharing ideas and assisting in resolving issues.
New projects on the horizon Suburban 6 gal Hot Water Tank replacement, City water fill connector and a stabilizer jack replacement.
Future interest: upgrading battery's and installing a solar panel's.
Thanks

pearseam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

Welcome to our Club! What happened to the original water heater?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome, the threads for the anode rod are rusted out. Not able to fully thread in the rod. Its a shame to replace the whole hot water tank just for that but don't want to have problems when we want to go camping.
pearseam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #4

Gosh -- there must be a way to restore those threads! There is a thing called a tap and die set for restoring threads to stripped nuts -- the thread cutters go up to about three quarters of an inch, which is not quite enough for that socket. You might be able to order a special cutter for that opening -- it would sure be cheaper than replacing the whole unit!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:35 PM   #5

I agree, But with inspection of the threads and it being a 1 inch opening, by tapping out the threads may destroy what is left of them. I may give that a try anyway, I don't think they make "oops" anode rods for larger openings ,or I may have to use plumber dope to fill in the thread gaps. I am just surprised to see the threads rusting out like that in AZ due to our climate. I always drained the tank after each camp trip. None the less it did. I have already ordered a new tank online, should be here Monday, took advantage of the holiday sales. Even if I repair the old one I'll have a spare. They are not cheap to replace.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #6

Welcome, also have a 2013 XT-276, purchased new spring of 2012.

To repair/replace damaged threads, use a helicoil.....if not familiar with inserting one, any good, experienced mechanic can do it......or any machine shop.

They are made in lots of sizes and threads per inch.

Here is an example:

Amazon.com: Helicoil 5546-6 M6 x 1 Metric Coarse Thread Repair Kit: Automotive

And if slightly mechanically inclined, install it yourself ~ instructions here on youtube

And even WalMart sells them:

HELICOIL 3591-16CN1000 Helical Insert, SS, 1-14x1 L - Walmart.com