Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

Default I Found Fun

I just picked up an 06 189FBR. I fell in love with the smaller trailers years ago, but never found one at a decent price. The one I bought is in great shape mechanically and interior wise, but the front cap has delaminated and will be replaced. Fortunately, there are no signs of water damage on the inside. For those of you familiar with this year and model, is the frame aluminum? I spoke with someone at Cruiser, but he wasn't 100% positive as to metal vs wood framing. I bought it at a good enough price that even with the front cap repair and a few minor up grades, I'll still be in it for way below NADA low book. In fact, our OK DMV showed a value of $4288 for the excise tax base and I will come in well under that. I'll post some pictures after I take some decent quality pics. photography is not my strong point.

Jwh92020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

Photography may not be your strong point, but smart buying apparently is -- a 189 for around $4k?? What a steal! Well done, and welcome to the club. Is this your first trailer?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #3

P139,

I paid a whopping $2500 for the trailer. After haggling back & forth about the delamination on the front, I told him " you can take 25 -$100 bills right now and be done with it, or wade through 6 or 8 more craigslist no shows before someone else shows up and you go through this again. I also reminded him about a bird in hand - if you have one, take advantage. if you keep reaching into the bush, you never know what is going to get on your hands! He agreed. This is our second Travel Trailer, the first was a 1973 Caveman that we brought back to life, but it wouldn't fit my wife's recliner (sleeps in one since stroke in 08 - she's fine, this is the only lasting effect of it), so we sold it. I travel for work and need something to stay in because I don't want to pay $70+/nite for less than Motel 6 quality. I am taking out the front queen bed and the dinette and will replace it with a "L" shaped sectional that will function as sofa/beds. Where the bed was will be a place where my wife can recline to sleep, but slide around to sit on a sofa while facing the rear f the trailer (TV) and the dinette side and a portion of the front will be a sofa/bed for me. It will make sense (I hope) when you see it.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #4

Thats a great price for a 189FBR. We have one that we purchased last year for 8000. It is an 08 model and in great shape.

When you remodel, you will find a lot of stuff under that front bed.... water tank, water pump, water heater, and some hidden storage area.

We removed the bunk bed in our and raised and shortened the cabinet. it still holds that same amount of stuff or more..but you don't bump you head any more.

The The Funder Finder X is all aluminum. Mine is a FFX 189 FBR. All the framig is aluminum... you can see it if you remove the central light fixture. The framing is very thin weight stuff.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #5

Brilliant bargaining strategy! You could make that new front cap out of solid gold and would still be ahead of the game. How will you get the recliner through the door??
Old 07-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #6

I've read that the 06 is wood framed. I'm hoping for aluminum, but prepping for wood.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #7

I'm not going to put a recliner in (unless I have to), but build a set up where she can recliner against the drivers side wall. if I have to put the chair in, the back comes off and we can get the base in by holding it with the arms pointing down ad rotating it in the door.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

I just realized that we have fashioned a "recliner" in our little X 139 -- we have sometimes used wedge-shaped pillows behind our backs and under our knees when we relax in the dinette after dinner. If I recall correctly, Target carries these wedge pillows. Would that do the job, instead of a full on recliner chair??
Old 07-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

P139 - That is something along the lines of what I'm thinking. We have a foam supplier and I've talked to them about making a large thick wedge for her. It will be wider and taller than the kind you buy at the store. At least thats the plan.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwh92020 View Post
I've read that the 06 is wood framed. I'm hoping for aluminum, but prepping for wood.
It is easy to check your framing...

Pull the lens cover off of one of the lights that are in the middle of the trailer.
Then remove the 4 screws that hold the base of the light fixture to the ceiling... it is very easy to do, they almost fall off.

Gently pull the whole light fixture straight down a few inches so it hangs on the wires.

On the Aluminum framed models like mine, there is an aluminum frame member running right under the fixture and the wires run through the framing. It is hollow and they made a hole for the wires to come through... you can plainly see the aluminum right there. It kind of puny looking, but you can see it.

Replace the fixture reverse of removal.

You should consider replacing all of your fixtures with the LED type sold by Etrailers.com... They are cheap and way brighter than just putting in an LED bulb in your old fixture. Makes your battery last longer if you are boondocking.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:22 PM   #11

Chirpz - Thanks for the info on the framing. I ordered all new LED fixtures today. All my trailers have had the LED treatment inside and out. After I get the front cap rebuilt, I'll put LED marker lights on. For now, I'll just replace the tailight bulbs. Some day I may replace the tail light fixtues, but they still look decent.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpz View Post
You should consider replacing all of your fixtures with the LED type sold by Etrailers.com... They are cheap and way brighter than just putting in an LED bulb in your old fixture. Makes your battery last longer if you are boondocking.
You don't need to replace the fixtures, just replace the bulbs with LED type. I used these which produce the same type of light as the incandescent type.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #13

LED lights really cut down on battery usage -- I saw a big improvement. We did not alter the fixtures -- just got the compatible bulbs online. Make sure they are warm color, not cool blue.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #14

P139 - The reason i replaced the fixtures is that they were pretty tired looking and some of the lenses were cloudy. They look like someone used a scotch brite scrubber on them.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #15

So, you're suggesting that using a scotch-brite scrubber to clean clear plastic is bad?
-- 1962 Wife / Partner-In-Life
vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #16

Not if you like that opaque San Francisco foggy night look.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #17

At about $12 each shipped these are great. A warm white and much more attractive than the old ones. They use an led array and can use one light on a side or both. Arrays are replaceable but should last a very long time with good heat sink engineering. Heat kills led bulbs. I posted about these before. Singles are also available. Our 20 year old lenses were really clouded.

MICTUNING 12V Double LED Dome Light Fixture Interior Light with 3-Way Switch for RV Camper Trailer Motorhome (3 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IKD4RP2..._R2lAzb5YY9H18
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #18

I used these in my last build and they worked great, so I ordered some more.
https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Ceilin...5%3A2470955011
Old 07-14-2017, 05:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwh92020 View Post
I used these in my last build and they worked great, so I ordered some more.
https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Ceilin...5%3A2470955011
We replaced all of our single fixtures with that brand. They are a cooler white than the double ones that we bought which are Mictuning brand. We like both of the brands.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote