Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2008, 10:16 PM   #1

Default my new t160

Hello,
I am a proud owner of a newly purchased (used) t160. I'm very excited and nervous all at the same time. Today I checked out all the ins and outs of the trailer with the help of my Uncle who has an RV. Showed me hot to fill the water tank, turn on the fridge, furnace etc..It went really well.
Got my new stabilizer hitch installed with sway bars. I was surprised how BIG and HEAVY it was. Are they all like this? Anyway we got it hooked up and took it out around the area. Felt great. Barely felt it unless we went over some bumps. But we couldn't get the sway bars into the hitch. So I will have to go back to the hitch shop and see what the problem is. I'm wondering if I should return the whole thing though because it seems pretty complicated to put on. I think there are easier systems. I think it's made by towing products. Also the brake system, how can I tell if it's working well? I didn't feel the trailer pushing me when stopping and I wasn't dragging it behind me when stopping so I think it must be ok??

sue.zee.q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #2

Congratulations sue.zee.q!! You are now officially an RV'er!!

It is very cool you had a resource you can trust, (Your Uncle) to run you through set up and operations of your new trailer. That’s huge!!

I hear ya on how heavy those hitches can be; just the hitch head of our equal-i-zer is about 75 lbs! I think it is a very good idea to hook up the trailer and take it to where you purchased the hitch and have them demonstrate how to properly set it up. They may have some suggestions for hooking it up that make it easier than it first appears. If they won't help, look in your area for an RV club, a KOA, or RV dealer, call them up and ask if they can help, if they have intro classes, or if they can point you in the right direction. One thing I have found, RV'ers are an extremely helpful group and they like to share their knowledge.

I understand the desire to just return the hitch and get an easier one, but I would ask you research it a bit before deciding. Every one I have looked at has strengths and weaknesses. When you took it out for a drive, did you get on the highway, and drive at 60 to 70 mph, or was it on surface streets at lower speeds? The reason I ask is because the effects of swaying due to wind buffeting, changing lanes and etc really show themselves at highway speeds. At lower speeds, 30 to 50 mph, the trailer will be very stable. I understand sway control and weight distribution hitches are more complicated, but the benefit they offer once set up and hooked up properly are tremendous! Anyone else out there with a T160 that can provide some suggestions?

Trailer Brakes. To see if they are working, find a section of flat ground, like a parking lot or quiet street. Roll down the drivers window, engage the trailer brake with the slide on the trailer brake controller mounted in your Pilot, this is accomplished by sliding the spring loaded lever in fully, then put your foot on the brakes and put the Pilot in Drive. Remove your foot from the brake but keep the slide on the controller fully pushed. You will feel the rear of the Pilot drop slightly, hear the hitch tighten, but your Pilot and trailer should not roll at all. Now release the slide, you should hear the brakes release, and you should start rolling. After rolling a few feet, slide the lever back in slowly and you should feel the trailer start to drag the pilot back to a stop. The purpose of the brakes is to slow the mass of the trailer, but more importantly, its to keep the trailer behind you during hard braking. During normal operations, you should feel them initially grab and help stop, once operating correctly, you will know when they are working and when they are not. There are adjustments on the controller that increase the force and sensitivity of the trailer brakes. If you have questions, ask your Uncle, the people that sold you the hitch, or find a local club, or Fun Finder Dealer near you and ask them.

I hope this helps, any other questions just shout em out!!

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Alan
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote