Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Default New 2008 FF-X 250 BHS

Hello,

We just got a great deal on a X-250 and so far we really like it. We have a few audio issues but aside from that I love the layout. It is a heavy dude though, my Titan can sure feel it back there. The Titan was the king of pulling too so I feel for Ford and Chevy owners pulling 25 feet of this. We drug it home last weekend and are on our first outing this coming weekend. Should be fun.

I love the surround sound with video, that is too cool and so easy! I was not expecting that at all.

Getting a new 08 in 10 was a great deal in this economy, we take no depreciation.

Outther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

Enjoy your first outing. We pick up our camper tomorrow and can't wait! Not sure when our 1st outing will be but sure am looking forward to it! ENJOY!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Van

Default Re: New 2008 FF-X 250 BHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outther
The Titan was the king of pulling too so I feel for Ford and Chevy owners pulling 25 feet of this.

My '05 F-150 had no problems towing our 2008 x-250BHS.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #4

Default Re: New 2008 FF-X 250 BHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Quote:
The Titan was the king of pulling too so I feel for Ford and Chevy owners pulling 25 feet of this.

My '05 F-150 had no problems towing our 2008 x-250BHS.
I am wondering what the wear and tear on your transmission is? If I am A OK on 10K and seeing the drain on my vehicle what is it for yours?

What is your tow rating? The Titan has a bumper mounted ball rate of 5,500K and 10K with bolt to the frame. That number goes up with load distribution hitch. I am not using a load distribution hitch yet but plan on exploring it.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Van

For a relatively light load like at 250BHS, i dont think it is much. Assuming one follows safe towing practices such as weight dist, and towing with OD off.

The rating on my F-150 was in the 9k range. However, we all know that those ever expanding tow ratings in the 1/2 ton market are pushed a lot by marketing and are achieved under narrow parameters. Most likely nothing bad will happen but frankly if someone is towing a lot at the limits of their 1/2 ton truck it isnt going to be a pleasant experience. The suspension, transmission and rear end are just not designed for such heavy work consistently.

You do not want to make a habit of towing 10k with a 1/2 ton truck. My truck might have been rated in the 9k range but i certainly wouldnt want to tow something that heavy in anything but a rare circumstance.

When my X-250BHS was fully loaded with gear and full tanks it was probably pushing 7k. My truck didnt have a problem pulling up a hill accelerating but it was certainly working hard. On rough roads it would bounce my truck about even with a WD and anti-sway set up.

I am one of those who thinks that a person shouldnt push the line when it comes to towing something on our roads. For their safety, their families safety and the safety of everyone else on the road with them. Either get a smaller TT or a bigger tow vehicle is my motto.

Your tow rating isnt going to go up with a WD set up. It isnt some magical tow rating increase system. All it does is transfer some of the tongue weight on your truck back to the TT and stabilize the load. Your tow rating is what it is. Dont forget that your trucks tow rating assumes only one 150lb passenger and a full fuel tank. You must deduct for all the gear and passengers in your tow vehicle.

A good rule of thumb is to not exceed 80% of your listed tow rating. That gives you a good safety cushion once your extra gear and passengers are added in. I am extremely happy with my F-350. It is a rock solid TV with all kinds of pulling power and i am confident that if something goes wrong or there is an emergency incident, my truck is more than capable of handling the situation and ensuring the safety of my family.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #6

According to this depending on your setup you can handle this load.

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/05f150.php

I am taking mine out tomorrow and testing out the electric brakes. I did not have those bringing it home and it was ugly!

Actually displayed proudly on my hitch it says that with a WD hitch I can haul 9,900K with a ball hitch, and only 5,500K with out it!

What is funny is you can haul 5K right on the bumper no hitch required. Just install the ball to the hole in the bumper. I found that interesting. Dry, and marginally loaded I can bumper tow this trailer
Old 06-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Van

Quote:
A
What is funny is you can haul 5K right on the bumper no hitch required. Just install the ball to the hole in the bumper. I found that interesting. Dry, and marginally loaded I can bumper tow this trailer

Let me know when you do, i want to make sure i am off the roads that day...
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #8

Took it out last Friday and all my reservations are gone. It pulled great! I think I was overly concerned when I drug it home due to I did not have the break controller yet. Once the breaks were all hooked up everything went fine.

Now if the rain will quit for a minute, I could use my trailer instead of my boat
Old 06-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #9

congrats on your new funfinder!!

deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote