Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

Default New Fun Finder 2014 215WSK owner

My husband and I are a proud new owner of this beautiful trailer. We will be trying it out very soon. We are from Wisconsin and will be traveling all over the U.S. with our two dogs. We are both retired and this trailer seemed like a great fit. Love to hear from anyone with a trailer like ours. Love any helpful hints, like if we should purchase a generator or not. Thank you for having a place for all of us to meet and help one another.

Pennyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new FF.

Shortly after purchasing my FF i 2012, I bought a pair of Honda generators, the 2000i and the 2000i companion....because I also have other uses for one or both of them.

To be honest, seems all established campgrounds have electrical power and unless you are planning on 'boondocking' where there are no hookups for water, sewer and power or cable TV, no need for a generator.

Since 2012, I've only used my Honda generators, when camping, one time. However, they have served their purpose in other ventures.

HINT: IF you decide to purchase a generator, be sure to get an inverter style that provides 'clean' power' ~ very important for electronic power to run the TV, satellite receiver, computer, etc.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #3

Welcome Penny and DH We have a FF 214 WSD so not the same but similar enough. You can find out all about us from the links in my signature. If you're going to be traveling all around the country, maybe our paths will cross. Looking forward to meeting your doggies

Old 03-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

Hi, Penny!

Welcome to the Forum. You'll get lots of good advice here.

As far as a generator, you guys are the ones to decide, once you get your traveling feet wet.

Personally, I prefer to dry camp (boondock), so I need (only occasionally) a small generator (Hondda EU1000i). I also hae 2x100 watt solar panels to keep my battery(ies) charged.

You'll get the hang of your likes and dislikes. And if your ever in the NW corner of TN, stop by for a visit...got 30A service, water and a dump.

Welcome!
Old 03-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

Default Thank you

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I appreciate the advice on the Honda generators. We are building a log cabin in Northern Wisconsin, so it may come in handy there at times. I may take your advice and get two. Just in case. We get a lot of snow where were going to live. May as well be prepared!
Pennyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

Keep in mind that you can't mix a 1000 and a 2000 running in parallel. They both have to be the same size. For Honda, anyway. I don't know about the others.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #7

Also, on the topic of generators, you need around 3,500 watts to run a typical A/C unit on a camper. Many people get two Honda EU2000s which combined (connected together) produce all the power your camper would need and individually, they are light enough to move around easily, as compared to the weight of a stand alone 3,500 watt unit.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #8

welcome Pennyann. we've only had ours a few weeks..bet you will love it..enjoy! camping a bit different here in NZ..boon docking must be our "freedom Camping" (gas/LPG or battery only, no power?) don't see many generators here..we will definitely be looking at buying Solar tho.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #9

Kiwi, boondocking is a term that means camping out in the middle of nowehere -- no campground, no electricity, no water, just a self-contained RV. It is permitted in many US national forests (but not in the national parks). I like the term "freedom camping!" Are there remote areas in NZ where one is allowed to camp outside of campgrounds?
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #10

Hi, Ummm, well, that's pretty much the while country..hehe, yes with total pop. of NZ 4.471 million, & most living in the North Island (we are top of the South Island) there are many freedom camping in remote areas here, permitted your RV is fully self contained. Love seeing your camping pics!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:34 AM   #11

We are 2500 miles into our first trip with our Fun Finder 215WSK through Washington Oregon California and Arizona and are really enjoying the out door kitchen, which we use about 80% of the time. We also like that it is light and easy to tow and maneuver with our half ton pick-up. we are very happy with our choice and hope you will be too.