Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #1

Default New FunFinder XT276

We just picked up our new FunFinder XT276 and gave it a first try at one of our dirtbike races in northern Minnesota. We traded a Winnebago Access motorhome. Towing a trailer this big is a new experience with my E350 van but it seems to do OK with the addition of the Timbren load levelers and a weight distribution hitch. The trailer has a very nice layout for our type of camping at the races. The only thing that didn't work so well on the maiden voyage was the new generator we got at the dealer. It's going back and we are planning to get a Honda. Does anyone have some good model recommendations for the XT276 which will handle the AC unit as well as microwave?

crashmonkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Team

I have the Honda Eu3000is. It runs the AC no problem and will last nearly 9 hours so I can fill it up before going to bed and it will run the AC all night. And its quiet! You can easily carry on a conversation standing next to it. From inside the trailer you can barely hear it at all.

I don't run both the AC and the microwave at the same time though. The starting wattage for the AC is close to 3000 watts capacity so I just shut it off for the couple of minutes that I run the microwave. The microwave needs about 1000 watts on its own.

It you want to run both at the same time you'd need to run two 3000's in parallel or the 6500. That's really way more power than you need for 95% of the time.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
I have the Honda Eu3000is. It runs the AC no problem and will last nearly 9 hours so I can fill it up before going to bed and it will run the AC all night. And its quiet! You can easily carry on a conversation standing next to it. From inside the trailer you can barely hear it at all.

I don't run both the AC and the microwave at the same time though. The starting wattage for the AC is close to 3000 watts capacity so I just shut it off for the couple of minutes that I run the microwave. The microwave needs about 1000 watts on its own.

It you want to run both at the same time you'd need to run two 3000's in parallel or the 6500. That's really way more power than you need for 95% of the time.
This is the one I was looking at online and thought it would be good. Thanks for the feedback. You are right. I'll shut down the AC to run the microwave.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

Default Re: New FunFinder XT276

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmonkey85
We just picked up our new FunFinder XT276 and gave it a first try at one of our dirtbike races in northern Minnesota. We traded a Winnebago Access motorhome. Towing a trailer this big is a new experience with my E350 van but it seems to do OK with the addition of the Timbren load levelers and a weight distribution hitch. The trailer has a very nice layout for our type of camping at the races. The only thing that didn't work so well on the maiden voyage was the new generator we got at the dealer. It's going back and we are planning to get a Honda. Does anyone have some good model recommendations for the XT276 which will handle the AC unit as well as microwave?
My 2012 XT276 has no factory generator wiring so opted for the Honda EU2000i and the companion EU2000i so together have a rating of 4,000. I haven't used them yet as every campground we have been at has had electrical hookups.

I would 'think' hooked together they should carry the A/C and microwave at the same time...but

I reason I opted for the two units was space, weight and use of the single unit in other applications.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Depending on the size of the microwave you might be able to run both with 2 2000's. Honda's web page has a little calculator where you can plug in what equipment you're running and it will show you the peak and run watts so you can get a pretty good idea what size generator you need.

The downside to the eu3000 is the weight. It's about 130 lbs. where the 2000 is only about 50 lbs. The plus for me is that it will run the AC for at least 9 hrs straight on a tankful where the 2000 will only run for about 4 hrs. The places I dry camp can sometimes be above 100 degrees all night so AC is a must.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #6

I see your necessity when camping under such heat conditions that I probably would not encounter.

Otherwise, for extended generator run time, there is always this:

http://www.amazon.com/IPI-Industries...lary+fuel+tank

but I must admit, the price seems a bit extravagant IMHO.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

Default Re: New FunFinder XT276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmonkey85
My 2012 XT276 has no factory generator wiring so opted for the Honda EU2000i and the companion EU2000i so together have a rating of 4,000. I haven't used them yet as every campground we have been at has had electrical hookups.

I would 'think' hooked together they should carry the A/C and microwave at the same time...but

I reason I opted for the two units was space, weight and use of the single unit in other applications.
Please post your experience with the companion setup. I am curious as to what kind of fuel range you will get on the two while running AC. I am wondering if the specs would still be accurate while units are paralleled. I am concerned that with the small tanks these compact units carry that they would not make it through the night before running out of fuel.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
Depending on the size of the microwave you might be able to run both with 2 2000's. Honda's web page has a little calculator where you can plug in what equipment you're running and it will show you the peak and run watts so you can get a pretty good idea what size generator you need.

The downside to the eu3000 is the weight. It's about 130 lbs. where the 2000 is only about 50 lbs. The plus for me is that it will run the AC for at least 9 hrs straight on a tankful where the 2000 will only run for about 4 hrs. The places I dry camp can sometimes be above 100 degrees all night so AC is a must.
I am assuming that even if using two Companions paralleled that each would still only provide 4 hours on run time and not extend the runtime. We also have the need for all night AC so this is important. I have also been looking at the space and weight of the two units. We carry dirtbikes in the garage of the XT276 and the 2000 units would fit nicely on the sides where the 3000 might be a bigger challenge and we might loose the ability to load a 4th bike.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
Site Team

With two 2000 units in parallel you would still only get 4 hours of run time. You would have to get one or possibly two of those extended run kits like Eagle posted to run more than 4 hours.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #10

Here is the run time as listed in the EU2000i specifications:

CONTINUOUS OPERATION TIME 4HRS. @ RATED LOAD, 9.6 HRS. @ 1/4 LOAD

I wouldn't 'think' running the A/C all night would required the units to operate are their full rated load the entire night ....... as the A/C unit will kick in or out according to thermostat setting. However, under heavy load at high temps, one may not have adequate fuel for 7 or 8 hour uninterrupted run time.

As for the 6 gallon auxiliary fuel tank, a tank will feed one generator only. Two auxiliary tanks would be needed to get extended run time from two generators.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
roy

I use the EU3000 with the optional wheel kit. Rolls around easy and fits right at the back door in the 276 tied off with 4 ratchet straps to keep it from rolling around. We don't use it much but still carry it every trip as back up. Have not ran it with AC on and microwave at same time but I already knew the ac would need to be cut off. Our old coachmen blast 150 had a 11,000 AC and the EU3000 would run the AC and microbe at the same time.

Wonderful generator and I use it at home when we have power outages to keep two refrigerators running. Excellent fuel economy on the thing.

Picture of how I store it behind the motorcycles in the 276.

Very easy to load and unload and it doesn't get in the way where its at. Everything rides in place and looks just like this after a 500 mile trip. Plus the weight is on the extreme tail of the hauler. I carry the extra gas can(s) in the bed of my truck.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to shadow

we opted for 2000 and companion along with extended run thank and it will run GENs no problem we get about 12 hours, more than enough. Opted for the 2000 since 0rice for 2 was about that of 3000, lighter and get more power and use only one when needed
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #13

Honda also has the tri fuel kit so the generators can run on propane.....but don't know how long on how much propane?

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/...i_Tri_Fuel_Kit

Anyone have this set-up and how does it work out?

Edit to add I found a fuel consumption chart for the eu3000i and the difference between gasoline and propane is near nil.

Also, there are extended run fuel tanks with dual discharge hoses so one tank will feed two generators.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #14

Can the 3000 fit on the front rack of the trailer or not ? And if it can is it a safe spot to leave it there while running all night , thanks
securityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityman
Can the 3000 fit on the front rack of the trailer or not ? And if it can is it a safe spot to leave it there while running all night , thanks
I don't think so. Its way wider than that tray up front on tongue.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote