Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #1

Default New Member Checking In

Thank You, Moderators --

For allowing me to join this site.

We live in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California.

Looking to purchase likely a 189FBS.

Best,

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
D2D8C386-C19E-4E7B-BB87-B7655C55EDC0.jpg  

foakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #2

Welcome, Fred! I usually tell newbies to ask lots of questions (because us old-timers like to answer them). But it looks like you are not really a newbie at all -- judging by the picture you posted, you are an experienced truck camper-er. And life in a TC is much more rugged than in a trailer, so a trailer will be a piece of cake by comparison.

Good luck in your hunt for a 189! You already live in camping heaven -- other than the Sierra, where will you be headed in your new trailer?

Old 01-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #3

Thank You, Profdant --

I have owned a Class A, (3) travel trailers, and (3) cabover campers in the last 40+ years.

My wife and I enjoy the more out of the way places. We are also back-packers as well as day hikers.

We expect to use this trailer throughout the Southwest, Northwest, Coastal areas, and the higher mountains where we live.

It would be ideal to not have to haul the camper everywhere we go. Just unhitch and go explore -- then come back at night.

We will keep the camper as an All-Season, All-Terrain rig. The trailer will be for an easier usage -- or longer periods of time.

My tow vehicle is a '02 Toyota Tacoma, 3.4 V6, 5 spd., 4WD, extra cab. Bought the truck and camper new back in '02.

We looked at new trailers, and new trucks -- 25K + 50K $$$. Didn't make sense for us to spend that kind of money to use a trailer hopefully and honestly -- maybe on the high side -- 5 or 6 days a month.

So...figured the tax and license on a new truck at $5K. Set aside $5000 to go through the truck completely -- drive train, compression, axles, all wear items, cooling systems, etc...

Just about done at less than $1850. So decided to upgrade the sound system to a modern unit -- new seat covers, mats, a few other luxury items so the wife is satisfied since we did not get a new truck.

Spend what is left on going towards a trailer and adding to the amount.

Looking at a rig in the $8000 to $13000 range -- maybe 5 to 12 years old -- depending on the unit.

We like the 189FBS -- but maybe something else would work also?

Requirements for me would include aluminum wall framing, dual axles, Queen bed up front, a decent galley, and creature comforts, separate toilet not in the shower, good storage for gear.

The truck already has 1 ton leaf springs, air-helper bags, HD shocks and springs, 10 ply AT2 Michelin Mud & Snows, etc.

It is set up to tow 5000 pounds -- so I would be comfortable with a unit about 3000 pounds -- with gear and wet it might be 3800 to 4000 -- keeping me at 20% below max.

So, if someone hears of a good rig that has not been used heavily, is in good condition, and not smoked in -- please let me know. Our time frame is between now -- and 3-4 months from now. Just looking for a nice unit that will fit our lifestyle.

We are not fancy folks -- my wife is a retired Special Ed teacher. I wore a suit and tie daily for 40 years -- and now it is Levis and a work shirt.

One thing that I have done for 40+ years -- is restore old, vintage quality, fishing reels for folks worldwide. Specialize in DAM Quicks, Mitchells, Penns, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals.

Keeps me out of trouble. Generally have a backlog of 60 to 80 reels waiting to hit the bench from folks around the globe.

Best,

Fred
Old 01-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #4

That's exactly how we use our trailer -- as a base camp for daily explorations with our truck. We hike all day and then come back to a comfortable (if small) trailer in the late afternoon, usually boondocking. We usually change campsites every week or so.

Here is a link to our blog -- I bet that a lot of the places we go look pretty familiar to you!

Look, Mom, We're Camping!
Old 01-04-2020, 11:26 PM   #5

Yep, we likely need to get together sometime.

Absolutely beautiful compilation of your trips over the years! Very well written as well as Professional grade photography.

Our main Sierra adventures have mostly been on both the West and East sides.

Primarily from Sonora Pass -- down to Death Valley -- on the Eastern range.

Then from Yosemite to Kings Canyon on the Western slope.

We generally prefer to stay out of the National Parks -- less people, less restrictions.

We live almost exactly halfway between Yosemite and Kings Canyon -- in the Sierra National Forest at 4400'.

We know both sides fairly well.

Best,

Fred
Old 01-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #6

Welcome to Funfinders! We have a 189fbs and love it. The full size queen bed is nice if you get an upgraded mattress and the slide gives you the extra room you need. We moved from Oregon to Dayton outside of Carson City and have camped near Markleeville in the Sierras. Plan to do more this spring and summer. Pulls nicely with our 2018 Nissan Frontier truck.
Kfalls189fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #7

Thanks for your reply, KFalls --

It is good to know how much you are enjoying your 189FBS.

Do you run sway bars on yours with the Nissan?

I just installed an electric brake controller last week -- so now we are ready to find, pay for, and bring home a 189FBS.

We have Craiglist searches saved and bookmarked for (11) Western states.

Also, RVTrader seems to be a possible source.

Are there other sources that we should/could look at?

We also really like the Queen bed set up.

If anyone hears of, or has a nice 189FBS available -- please let me know.

Best,

Fred
Old 01-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #8

Foakes, we do use a simple friction bar sway control, although I have towed it without one with no problem. I use it for insurance! This website has Funfinders for sale and 189s come up fairly often. I found mine on Craigslist, however. RVT.com seems to be another good site for listings.
Kfalls189fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #9

Default Thanks!

Thanks, KFalls!

Best,

Fred
Old 07-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #10

Picked up our new to us -- 2009 FunFinder 189FBS a few days ago.

Always covered -- came with a new cover also.

Very lightly used. Came with Eazilift hitch, bars, and sway bar, BBQ never used, table never used, all accessories, new Temperpedic mattress pads, and much, much more. Still smells brand new. Drove it back from Denver to California -- 1441 miles -- tows great with the Tacoma V6 and a 5-Spd transmission.

Will be doing a few mods that this site has recommended -- and just ordered a new Honda eu2200i generator. It came with all cords, adapters, etc.

It has never been off the asphalt -- but we will change that.

Also. installed a set of new Goodyears before leaving Colorado because the existing tires were weather checked. Seller split the cost with us at Americas Tire.

Just an update -- since I hate it when a newbie comes on a site to get information -- then never gives feedback to the forum.

Best Always,

Fred

https://www.funfinderclub.com/forums...1&d=1595690304

https://www.funfinderclub.com/forums...1&d=1595690833

https://www.funfinderclub.com/forums...1&d=1595691409

https://www.funfinderclub.com/forums...1&d=1595691556
Attached Thumbnails
FADBE625-EA09-4C58-92A6-ABBF43BCACC7.jpeg   045FD15A-2C7D-487A-8D29-C7645D04D55E.jpeg   5AB5C24A-2791-46F1-B0DC-C7449DAA70D0.jpeg   5E6C942E-4911-489C-8C3A-D8A293A1B731.jpeg  
Old 07-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #11

Beautiful! Well done. You probably already know this, but drain the carb on the Honda after use, and "exercise" it once a month under load. Both will keep the carb clean, despite the effect of ethanol in the gas.

Enjoy!!
Old 07-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #12

Thanks PD139 --

Good advice --

I have always done that on outboards, chainsaws, wood splitters, pressure washers, lawnmowers, weedeaters, DR's, etc. At least the running dry part -- but have seldom started them once a month after running dry and stored.

But I will on this generator -- since it will work for both the trailer and the camper. The Six-Pac camper will be used for more access in rough country. The FF for easier trips.

The FF should be just the right timing for getting out during this pandemic time.

Regardless of what government agencies or leaders are telling us -- it will be more than a little while before we feel comfortable in restaurants, movie theaters, or hotels/motels.

I will likely have some questions about this 189FBS.

All the Best,

Fred