Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 03:04 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to trailgrannie65@yahoo.com
Default New owner but old camper

Just found the forum. Been in Good Sam's in truck camper forum but felt a bit alienated as we have purchased a non vintage but old, 1990, shadow cruiser 9.5' hard side Shadow Cruiser truck camper and the bulk of them are name brand still manufacturing types.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #2

Welcome.
Working construction many, many years ago spent a fair amount of time in a hard sided pickup camper on of the fellows had at the job sites.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

We started years and years ago with a Fields short little camper, had tents, took an old Dreamer with us and three kids from Oklahoma to Oregon and back, fiver, back to tent, then pop up Shadow Cruiser, and finally were able to get the new old hard side slide in cab over. It's tag says 1990 and it's serial number is 1989, weird coincidence. It was a family deal so cheap and spent from last June until this week fixing, adding things and new water heater and holding tank. Roof excellent but resealed anyway as well as windows. Lots of stuff but have been able to use it since we bought it in between construction episodes and last bit was a Carefree Freedom awning and a DIY rear awning on the back. Don't know what I'll do for entertainment and busy work till we get to go camping again. Horse camping trip up next last week of next month at Robbers Cave. DH doesn't ride so he will fish instead.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:08 PM   #4

Well, my camping experiences started in high school, tenting it at a state park. And some in the US Army too. Later on hunting trips, several would rent a motorhome for hunting deer/antelope in western South Dakota.
Work and other obligations too precedence for some time then traveling on my Harley Davidson vacations, tenting entered the picture again.
But ~ these old bones got tired of crawling in/out of a tent so combined motorcycle riding and camping with a toy hauler. Works out swell too.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:18 PM   #5

Yeah, my "camping" started when I was five when my grandparents who raised my sister and I went with my Dad to Denver from Michigan in one of those old green Airstream type trailers for six months for Daddy to take fire fighter training at the air base there. He was fire chief in Oscoda, Michigan, Wurthsmith AFB for years. We started taking two week vacations every August in that old trailer in the UP for years till Granny got tired of the set up and they purchased a cabin, really decrepit with a wood cook stove and outhouse complete with bears, at Indian Lake near Manistique. After I moved here to Oklahoma in 67 and married we camped with the kids, ended up with five. We used our fiver for job site living too. DH brick mason for over 50 years now. At 72 he still runs a crew so we can afford to travel some. SS just pays an existence and no more. With all those kids and being self employed, no health insurance or public assistance back then, there was nothing left for retirement savings. No sob story, just fact of life you deal with. So far our health is good and as long as we can climb in the camper and drive safely we'll keep moving. Game plan is to work 4 months March thru June then off to kids in Grand Junction, Colorado and other parts July and August. Back home September thru December and then down to my brothers place in central Florida between Tampa and Orlando January and February. But then the best laid plans of nice and men.......remains to be seen how that lane flies. Sorry, long winded. All Star game kinda boring. DH and I big Thunder fans. At least enjoy then when they come to play, as a TEAM, not so much other times. LOL