Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Default New owner of gently used 2005 T139

After a six month search for something lightweight, small, and in our budget we purchased a 2005 T139 last weekend. Haven't had it on the road yet as I need to get a brake controller, insurance, check out the battery (only holding a weak charge), and figure out if the LP detector is working. Will be towing with a 2009 Kia Borrego (their truck based SUV that was only sold in 2009). Its rated at 5,000lb towing capacity so the T139 GVWR should match up well.

Two quick questions:
1. The frig is gas or electric. Does it run off the battery when the trailer is under tow or do you leave the gas on and let it run on LP?
2. Saw article about replacing single battery with two for more elec storage. Can someone tell me how a 2 battery setup is wired?

Looking forward to long weekends at first and then a grand tour maybe next year.

Vinc in Albuquerque, NM

abqvince52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #2

Welcome Vinc !
Your frig runs on 110V electric when hooked to shore power or propane when no shore power is available. Whether you want to run it on propane as you roll down the road is a decision you have to make. Many folks do so. Others say it is a safety hazard....after all, it is an open flame. Whatever, for safety reasons, it should not be on when at a gas station, and in fact is illegal to have an open flame while at the gas station.

As for wiring two batteries, that will depend on whether you plan on using two 6 volt batteries or two 12 volt batteries. A pair of 6 volt batts would have to be wired in 'series' to get the required 12V out. A pair of 12V would be wired in 'parallel', to net 12V out. If you google "how to wire two batteries in a RV', you will get numerous hits to help you thru that.

Congrats on the camper, and have fun with it ! And post up some pics ! .....we LIKE pics around here !

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply and the info. I would agree that traveling with the propane firing doesn't seem like something I would want to do, so the fridge really isn't that useful when traveling. I can see a workaround on weekend trips but long touring trips may be a challenge. How well does the typical RV fridge hold the cold? I think I'll do some more research.

Vinc
abqvince52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Default Fridge holding cold

Hey, and welcome!

We have had a PuP, a Trailmanor, each of which had a 3.5 cuft fridge and our FF214WSD with its much larger fridge and have never traveled with the fridge operating. The PuP and TM both had the 12 volt option and we never used it and as gmw notes, the propane is the only option with the FF. We have nfever had any issues with the contents warming significantly; meaning the stuff in the freezer stayed frozen, even a small ice cream has remained cold enough not to be a 'milkshake' and we are often on the road for at least 6-8 hours before firing the fridge back up.

Now we live in the Northwest (N.Idaho) and we are 'allergic' to hot climates , so we are not generally in 100+ degree heat. That said, we have traveled in the Pup and TM in 90s with same results. Part of trick is not to have the fridge nearly empty. Be sure it is at least 1/2+ full, pre-cool it for a day or two, and put already frozen items in the freezer before launch. Oh, and we don't fill the icecube trays during travel, just in case! But we've goofedon that before and not had a mess!

Hope that helps!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote