Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #1

Default New to site, not new to FunFinders

Hi All

New to this site, but, not new to FunFinders. Currently own a 2008 X210WBS that we've put about 28,000 miles on since buying new in '07 and thoroughly enjoy the quality of the build and comfort it provides us on our travels with our three cats

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #2

Welcome!!! nice looking combo!!

deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #3

Wow! 28,000 miles. Can't wait to put some under my rig. We are cat people as well. Only one and very interested in how your's travel. Could ask dozens of questions, but anxious to learn what interaction you get with cats and camper.
George & Karen

2011 FF X-189FDS
2009 Toyota V6 Highlander
lowcountry4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #4

Looks like the cats travel in style. Where do they let you sleep?
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #5

They each have their "place"

J-Lo likes the cubby under the television shelf, Coco likes the couch and Ragamuffin likes the shelf by the window in the slide...we, of course, like the bed

That's for night time usage...during the day, Coco gets the shelf by the window in the slide, J-Lo likes the cabinet above the bed (we have to leave a door for it open) and Rags likes to lay by the window in the front where she can watch comings and goings in the CG. When we get back from sightseeing, they automatically adjust to the "night" scheme, if they aren't sitting in someone's lap

They travel very well, the back of the Jeep is theirs while on the road and then we transfer them to the trailer once we are set up. Infrequently, they'll stay in the trailer and before anyone "objects"; they would actually prefer to stay in the trailer...we tested the "travel in trailer" mode and they were quite happy. Loaded them in, drove for about an hour and stopped to check on them. Coco (the old man) and J-Lo were curled up together on the bed asleep and Ragamuffin was asleep on the couch. Quite content, but, we, on the otherhand, are more used to having them in the car with us (kind of missed them). We had two homes for about 18 years and got used to them riding with us in the car every weekend going back and forth between the two homes.

They are indoor cats and prefer to sit or lay around looking out the windows wherever we happen to be...they are usually a "hit" with all the kids and quite a few adults once people notice them and start counting...

Don
Bronwyn

Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #6

loved hearing about the cats!!! Glad they get to travel with you. We are dog and cat people.. but only the dogs go camping.

Your JEEP obviusly tows the 210 ok.. Whats the tow rating foer the Jeep? the 210WSB is one of my possible choices when new TT time arrives. I have a 2006 crew cab 4X4 frontier (mid size PU).. with V6, automatic. Its rated to tow 6100lbs.. the 210 should be ok.. I am just wondering how well it will do.
chuck9997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #7

The Hemi Jeep is rated for 7200 lbs. in the 4x4 configuration (like mine) and the 4x2 version is rated at 7400 lbs. It picks up 200 lbs in the 4x2 version because it isn't hauling the extra drive train for the front wheels. The Hemi is the same as the one used in the RAM pickup trucks and has more than ample power for towing. Comes with Tow/Haul and electronic stability control...perfect for our 210WBS. When we go for a couple of months, we are heavy at around 6000 lbs. We have some friends that liked the setup so well they went out and found an '08 Hemi Limited Commander and have ordered the 214 WSD (due in January). Copycats... The Jeep tows well and is really nice riding, both hitched and unhitched for sightseeing.

Your V6... I think you'll find that the 210WBS is going to be right at the top end of what it can handle and it will complain mightily in the hills. The biggest problem you might have is tongue weight...my tongue weight comes in right at 738 lbs. If take a lot of stuff and people with you, you may find that you exceed the load capacity of the truck before you exceed the tow capacity of the drivetrain...

Don
Bronwyn

Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #8

Thanks for your comments.

Have you been able to determine the actual dry weight of the 210WBS? Specs on the website say less than 3400lbs.. Based on that figure.. the 210WBS weighs about 400 lbs more than the Jayco I am pulling now. Granted.. the factory specs for dry weight may be low.. but they are probably low on my Jayco too.

Anyway.. lets say the 210wbs weighs 3700lbs dry.. I would probably carry about 800 lbs of stuff. I never tow with anything in the tanks. That puts me at approx 4500lbs. I think you are right.. I wouldnt want to pull much more. I like being at least 1000 lbs under what my TV is rated to pull. These estimated numbers will put me at 1600 pounds less. If my figures are close to correct.. the tongue weight should be ok too.

By the way.. the V6 in the Nissan is 265hp.. its a pretty strong engine.. and pulls my 3000 lb JAYCO with no problems.
chuck9997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #9

The 210WBS that we ordered, optioned up and with full LPG tanks and battery came in right at 3740 lbs. Since we are retired and go for months at a time, we tow heavy. Always empty tanks, but, I pack enough tools to build a TT and with all the cat food (cans) and our accessories (she weaves - we even take a spinning wheel), bicycles on the back, etc, we come in just shy of 5900 lbs. loaded, just about the max on the trailer's loading.

Your V6 has the power, for hauling, though on the hills you'll pay... You are far more likely, though, to exceed the "load" limit of the truck if you aren't careful. The truck's load capacity is calculated with a single person (the driver) at 150 lbs. You have to figure everything that goes into the truck; options, passengers, cargo and hitch weight. At a tad less than 6000 lbs, my hitch weight is ~728 lbs. give or take. Utilizing a WD hitch, I'm transferring about 25% of that back to the TT axles, which means that just by hooking up, I've dropped the equivalent of ~550 lbs into the "cargo area" of the Jeep. Like stacking a pile of cinder blocks in the back seat area... While my Hemi V8 is way more than qualified to tow my TT's weight, I'm right at the load limit (weight of the tow vehicle). That's what you'll need to be concerned with...the total weight that the truck is carrying, not so much as the weight it is pulling... You definitely have adequate horsepower, but, you need to keep an eye on the capacity of the truck's frame, suspension and tire loading.

As an aside...most "towing capacity" is calculated using a flat bed utility trailer with the "weight as specified", i.e., my Jeep is rated at 7200 lbs of flat bed utility trailer weight...much different than pulling that weight in the form of a flat faced travel trailer. A lot of companies will also specify a "sail area" capability, like 6x6 or 4x5, to allow for wind resistance. As the square footage of the front of your trailer increases, the amount of horsepower needed just to defeat wind resistance also increases. I've towed 6800 lbs on a utility trailer with my Jeep...it pulled much easier than the 6000 lbs of my FunFinderX just because of the lack of frontal area...

Don
Bronwyn