Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #1

Thumbs up New to Travel Trailer

I found this forum and thought that I would join to gain some knowledge and helpful hints.. I do not own a Fun finder, but could not find another Cruisers Forum.... I own a Cruisers Radiance 26 VSB that I am sure is similar in many ways to the other Cruiser models...I will be towing it with a Chevrolet 2500 HD Gas motor.... No problem as I now tow a 25 foot boat with a dry weight of 5600 lbs plus the trailer.... Guess fully loaded the boat, trailer gear, fuel and water approximately 8000+... Looking forward to finding some new acquaintences and hopefully some good information on camping....

ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

Welcome! Are you going to tow the boat and the trailer at the same time? Wow! I am sure your truck can handle this load -- but it must be tricky to pull into a gas station with a 60 foot long train. I admire your skill!

If you ever plan to come out to the West, let me know -- I have a blog with a lot of travel info about most of the states west of the Rockies.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:12 AM   #3

Do not think it possible to tow both... I would not even want to think about that....That would really, really be the tail wagging the Dog...
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #4
APD

Welcome!
Some good info here and lots of solid ideas from nice folks.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #5

ysidive, I am glad to hear that you are not towing the boat and the trailer all at once. There are states in which this would be legal, and I have seen it on the interstates. It seems dangerous to me, and yet there are lots of semi trucks that pull double trailers, so it must be possible.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #6

Definitely would not be legal in Michigan unless it was a fifth wheel. But I dont think he meant he would tos both. Only saying the TV tows the boat fine.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #7

Triple towing is allowed in the following states:

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah

Exceptions To The Rule

Of course, nothing is ever straightforward and simple though.

Many of these states have a variety of restrictions which could still hamper your ability to tow two trailers.

For example, some states limit total length of all 3 units to 65 feet. In some instances, the limit is 70 feet or 75 feet total length.

In some states, triple towing is restricted to adding the second trailer only behind a 5th wheel trailer.

Many states limit the second trailer to recreational equipment, such as a boat, snowmobile, or ATV 4-wheelers.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

In Michigan....
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/re...le_21025_7.pdf
Old 12-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post

Just curious, how does that apply to a person from another state passing thru?
Old 12-04-2016, 04:49 PM   #10

I'm thinking you would have to obey the state's laws. But who knows.
I did find this...
"Of course, these resources should be looked at as basic guidelines. Keep in mind that laws change and information can get mixed up in translation. The only way to get completely accurate information about triple towing is to contact the Department of Transportation or Highway Patrol offices for your state and any states you plan on traveling through."
Old 12-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #11

Yes, I'm sure that would be the only way to find out for sure.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #12

I looked into the Idaho Tote and similar Totes that literally attach to the rear of the trailer and have one or two swivel wheels. I was thinking that something like this would work to haul my ATV... Wellll, I called a couple of the companies and they both told me that they would not install, nor should these be attached to a tongue-pull trailer; they said they would increase whip and could cause a control loss issue. I am assuming that unless your rig was designed and built to tow doubles, you could also fall into this category...

Eagle, you pulled park model trailers and obviously used a much heavier TV than a pick-up... any comments on towability of doubles with even a 1 ton pick-up TV???

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #13

Adding an Idaho Tote or similar loaded with an ATV of ?? pounds would reduce your tongue weight due to added weight on the very rear. Also unknown if the trailer frame could sustain the added weight.

When towing mobile homes up to 16 feet wide and 85 feet long, I drove a special made mobile home 'toter' designed specifically for that purpose with a very high GVW rating.

UPS tows doubles with a single axle tractor with a 5th wheel plate...and pintel hitch to the 2nd trailer. I've heard they are very unstable in windy conditions and horrible to control on ice. A tractor w/dual drive wheels would be a great advantage. I've seen the UPS tractors w/two trailers behind in the wind and they weave back and forth like a snake going down the road.

I've never towed doubles and don't care to which is the reason I purchased a toy hauler. Pulling one trailer at a time is enough.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

Hi Eagle,
The totes connect via a hinge mechanism... The particular one shown is not of choice, but helps explain to others...
The hinging mechanism, in this case, is the aft "pins" that connect the tote to the RV... This particular model has a single swiveling wheel; because the connection doesn't swing side to side by itself, it is considered part of, or rather an extension of the RV that is hinged up and down. This model used a single 2" connection "Tow Bar" to the RV trailer hitch... I would have used two connections, one at or close to each end of the "Tow Bar"...

Depending on the location of the wheel/s, a portion of the weight is carried by the wheel... It looks good on paper and in talking to several people that used them on the back of an RV or 5th wheel, they had noting to say but good.

On a tag-along Trailer, the story shifts and the manufactures of the companies I called, would not install them on these Trailers.

I built a lot of machinery and to drag a swivel-wheeled wheelbarrow, carrying an ATV, motorcycle, etc., behind my vehicle, I would have two bearinged connection points, two connection points to the RV, and two larger wheel assemblies.
Attached Thumbnails
RV Tote -- Rv to Tote Connection - 1200.jpg   RV Tote.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Welcome! Are you going to tow the boat and the trailer at the same time? Wow!

LOL, Dan. I had to read it twice, too. He meant BOAT trailer!