Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Default New to us 2010 215wsk

We are very excited about the new FF. We purchased in May and have only been able to take it out for a weekend "try it out trip" so far. It seems to be the correct size for us and our 2 hound dogs. The person we bought it from got it new in 2012 and never even used the bathroom. Its like brand new. I think I am definitely going to replace the new looking tires as they are the originals. We will be heading out again in sept for another tune up trip before our trip to Camp Gulf in October.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #2

Welcome!! What brand are the tires? If they are one of the off brand items originally provided by Cruiser, we had bad luck with them -- very rapid wear. We replaced them with Goodyear Marathons -- get the highest load rating that will fit on your rims.

Some people swear by Maxxis. Other folks use truck tires. I use trailer tires -- I figure that the manufacturers know what they are saying when they say that trailer tires are specially built so that the sidewalls can withstand the extra heat of towing.

Good luck! And be sure to ask questions -- we love 'em.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Site Team

For sure you want to use trailer tires as Dan said. You can check the age from the tire code stamped into the sidewall. The last 4 digits are the week and the year the tire was made. Something like ####2612 would have been made in the 26th week of 2012. If the tires are 5 years old or more I would replace them. If they are less than that and aren't cracked or otherwise degraded you should be OK.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

I am a little over cautious when it comes to tires and bearings.

I replace tires after 5 years. NOW this depends on if the trailer sits during the winter. As all tires are made to "rotate" and while doing this the chemical in the tires lubricates the tires. If the tire sits still then no lubrication. Thus the 5 year replacement.

Also each spring when I get the trailer out out "inside" storage I take it to schwab (west coast) and have the bearings packed and brake shoes checked.

So far no problems from tires and bearings, and also we are not overloaded.
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote