Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Default New User - 2014 266KIRB

Hi. I have imported a US KIRB266 to Australia. It is cheaper to do that than buy a AU Travel Trailer (caravan).

We bought the unit as it has great space, two slides, light, and low priced compared to AU units. They would cost over AU$120K.

The down-side is the extremely poor quality of the the fittings. So far, the general build of the shell appears to be sound. This is let down by the unbelievably poor internal construction.

There are a lot of things that would not comply with AU safety standards. We will always be ahead as the price is good and any work I do will not exceed the cost of an AU trailer.

I wonder if others find similar issues with quality.?

Aussie Funfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:02 PM   #2

Aussie, the US made mass produced caravans are pretty good, but they are nothing like the Australian models. It is amazing to me that it was cheaper to buy a US trailer and ship it over than to buy an Australian unit. But that tells you something about the US components and assembly -- just adequate.

I don't know why we in the US can't get Australian trailers, or why there is no manufacturer in the US (a huge market!) that makes trailers of that quality for the luxury buyer. Some of us would save up our pennies to buy a really fine trailer.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Hello ! We purchased a 2015 kirb266 and I found pretty same quality issues as you described. Trim moldings inside barely nailed on, plumbing fittings under sink, shower,and bathroom sink not tightened all the way and a few other minor issues. But like you said, I also think it's overall construction isn't too bad which to me is most important. I have watched a lot of videos on many different travel trailers and to me it seems Blackstone trailers are at least the best equipt as far as I can tell. Meaning they come with 10 or 16 gal water heaters instead of 6 gal, 50amp service instead of 30, two ac units, larger tires, larger stoves and refrigerators, larger basement storage,better insulated,all led lights, backup camera, etc. Seems like wherever they can install an upgrade on the unit, they do. And they are really sharp looking trailers. Not sure how much more they cost but might be worth checking into to. Happy camping
Rhelfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

We have been reading a lot about the Grand Design brand RV,s. They have a good line including the Imagine which we are eyeing for the future.
We like their styling and features a lot.
Owners seem happy as well.
Grand Design RV Reviews

http://www.trailerlife.com/reviews/imagine-this/
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote