Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #1

Default Newbie (Fun Finder 210 UDS) and need advice..thanks!!!

Hi. We are about to graduate from tent camping. Fell in love with the Fun Finder 210UDS (large slide, interior, walk around bed, all the windows) ...any resources you can direct us to so we are asking the right questions and not getting taken advantage of with the price. Also, any known issues we should be aware of with this model (slide leaks, roof issues, etc). And, more importantly if you own one do you love it? Thanks so much!!!!

Mrs Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the FunFinder family! Well, almost anyway!

We put 48,000 miles on a 210WBS ('08 model) and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of owning it. Ours was built well, well appointed (especially considering its price point) and held up quite well. Never a serious problem with either build or its equipment. We did have a slight window leak on the front window, around the frame, but, that was my own fault. Any trailer, by any manufacturer, is prone to leaks at the caulking points. Doesn't matter if it is the cheapest Shadow Cruiser or the most expensive Prevost motor home. I missed a slight crack in the caulking at the top corner of the window in my semi-annual caulk inspection. Caught the first drip, found the problem, re-caulked and that was the end of the issue. All RVs require diligence in staying on top of potential problems; you can't just buy one, drive it off the lot and it expect it to be trouble free for the rest of your life...you are purchasing a lightweight mobile "house" that will bounce down some of the worst roads in America, much like subjecting your home to earthquakes, one after another, year in, year out.

As for price... I'm always amused at the stories I hear about "I demanded 35% off MSRP and left when they wouldn't give it to me" or the same line and then that's what they got... A lot of the "quality" issues with RVs is that type of "bullying" of the dealer. If the dealer has to give 35% off, guess what? He isn't going to soak up that 35% discount, neither is the manufacturer. They'll put 35% less material or build quality in the unit, leave the price the same and happily give you 35% off. Folks will blame the manufacturer for the decline in quality, while, in truth, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Find the unit you like. Deal them down, they expect that, but, stop beating a dead horse when you feel that you have a fair deal; a price that you can live with, a price that is fair for what you are getting and a price that the dealer can make a profit so that he's still in business when you need a repair or warranty work. No you shouldn't pay MSRP, but, you also shouldn't expect to pay less than what it costs them to make it. As far as a "source" for finding the best price? There are many "web front" dealers that advertise RVs for "cost". You'll have to travel a good distance (unless you are lucky to live near one) to get it from them and then woe unto you if you need warranty work. While in theory, you could buy one from them and then have your neighborhood dealer do the warranty work, you'll find that it probably won't be that easy. Your local dealer will know he didn't sell it to you, so, you won't be a customer that he's got a "good will" stake in and you'll get your work done, but, you'll be at the bottom of the priority list and you'll probably get less than stellar work done.

Bottom line? Only you can determine what you want to pay and who you want to pay it to. I buy my RVs locally. I may pay a bit more, but, my dealer and I are on a first name basis, I didn't "beat" him on the price, he's happy, I'm happy; I can pick up the phone and order an accessory without prepayment or hassle and if it is something that I'd rather have him install (like my second A/C unit), as soon as he has the item, I bring the trailer up, sit in the office and shoot the breeze while they install it (or they'll even give me the use of a company car if they need the truck and trailer together) and then I take the trailer home. There are many things in buying an RV that aren't reflected in the bottom line price. Work a deal that all parties are happy with...don't let the dealer walk on you, but, extend him the same courtesy.

Sorry, sometimes (well most of the time, I guess) I tend to get a little "long winded"...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Site Team

+1 on Webslave's comments.

As for some resources I've found some good info here:

http://rvbasics.com/

Somewhat generic, but if helpful if you're new to it all. And here for towing info:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-learn-type-tt.shtml

Here's a source you can try for MSRP:

www.willrepinc.com

Good luck with your shopping!
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #4

Default Thanks!!!

Appreciate both of your replies!!! We are getting very close to purchasing...thanks for helping to educate us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave
Welcome to the FunFinder family! Well, almost anyway!

We put 48,000 miles on a 210WBS ('08 model) and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of owning it. Ours was built well, well appointed (especially considering its price point) and held up quite well. Never a serious problem with either build or its equipment. We did have a slight window leak on the front window, around the frame, but, that was my own fault. Any trailer, by any manufacturer, is prone to leaks at the caulking points. Doesn't matter if it is the cheapest Shadow Cruiser or the most expensive Prevost motor home. I missed a slight crack in the caulking at the top corner of the window in my semi-annual caulk inspection. Caught the first drip, found the problem, re-caulked and that was the end of the issue. All RVs require diligence in staying on top of potential problems; you can't just buy one, drive it off the lot and it expect it to be trouble free for the rest of your life...you are purchasing a lightweight mobile "house" that will bounce down some of the worst roads in America, much like subjecting your home to earthquakes, one after another, year in, year out.

As for price... I'm always amused at the stories I hear about "I demanded 35% off MSRP and left when they wouldn't give it to me" or the same line and then that's what they got... A lot of the "quality" issues with RVs is that type of "bullying" of the dealer. If the dealer has to give 35% off, guess what? He isn't going to soak up that 35% discount, neither is the manufacturer. They'll put 35% less material or build quality in the unit, leave the price the same and happily give you 35% off. Folks will blame the manufacturer for the decline in quality, while, in truth, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Find the unit you like. Deal them down, they expect that, but, stop beating a dead horse when you feel that you have a fair deal; a price that you can live with, a price that is fair for what you are getting and a price that the dealer can make a profit so that he's still in business when you need a repair or warranty work. No you shouldn't pay MSRP, but, you also shouldn't expect to pay less than what it costs them to make it. As far as a "source" for finding the best price? There are many "web front" dealers that advertise RVs for "cost". You'll have to travel a good distance (unless you are lucky to live near one) to get it from them and then woe unto you if you need warranty work. While in theory, you could buy one from them and then have your neighborhood dealer do the warranty work, you'll find that it probably won't be that easy. Your local dealer will know he didn't sell it to you, so, you won't be a customer that he's got a "good will" stake in and you'll get your work done, but, you'll be at the bottom of the priority list and you'll probably get less than stellar work done.

Bottom line? Only you can determine what you want to pay and who you want to pay it to. I buy my RVs locally. I may pay a bit more, but, my dealer and I are on a first name basis, I didn't "beat" him on the price, he's happy, I'm happy; I can pick up the phone and order an accessory without prepayment or hassle and if it is something that I'd rather have him install (like my second A/C unit), as soon as he has the item, I bring the trailer up, sit in the office and shoot the breeze while they install it (or they'll even give me the use of a company car if they need the truck and trailer together) and then I take the trailer home. There are many things in buying an RV that aren't reflected in the bottom line price. Work a deal that all parties are happy with...don't let the dealer walk on you, but, extend him the same courtesy.

Sorry, sometimes (well most of the time, I guess) I tend to get a little "long winded"...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #5

Default 210UDS Frig Access?

The 210UDS is one of the Fun Finder models that we are considering. Do you know if you can access the Frig when the slide is in? We travel with 3 dogs and when on the road and stopping to eat we usually get our food to go and eat in the camper!
2006 Dodge Durango Hemi
Palmerton Pa
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #6

Default frig access

Hi. I read on someone's post that that's the one downside with this model. I don't know for sure as we didn't ask the dealer because for us its not a big concern. Apparently the slide out is really smooth and easy so your alternative is to slide out when stopping or maybe a cooler? None of the refrigerators seem super big. Maybe call a dealer and ask...?[/b]
Old 04-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #7

The slide must be opened partially but it only involves the push of a button. This has not been an issue for us.