Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Smile Newbies purchasing a FF 21RB 2018

Hello FF members... my husband and I are seriously looking at buying our first TT (FF 21RB 201. Before we finalize the deal, is there anything specific we should know or be aware of in terms of issues, what to look for, etc.? Any tips and tricks would be helpful and welcomed. Thank you!!

Happy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #2

Welcome! What kind of a tow vehicle do you have?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

We bought a 2017 21RB last year- we have been extremely happy with our purchase. Have the dealer check all pumping as many fittings/bowls/connections were only hand tight on our unit. Once we sweep the travel and made sure all fittings were tight- we have not had any further issues with our trailer.
JButze100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #4

Hi... GMC Sierra 150
Old 03-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #5

Hello again profdant139... not familiar with the forum, I hit the button too quickly... our truck is a GMC Sierra 150 (tow capacity 9200 pounds).
Old 03-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Thank you JButze100! We will double check with the dealer for sure! Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are so excited and we strongly believe this is a great TT (set-up) for a couple. Can’t wait for the camping season to begin! With a -8 degree celsius today, we will have to be patient and wait a couple of months! Thanks again!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

That is a great tow vehicle -- you are all set! Are you experienced Rvers? If not, be sure to ask lots of questions -- hopefully, you can avoid some of the mistakes we made long ago!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Site Team

When you pick it up make sure that you have the dealer give you a thorough walk through. Make sure you understand how to operate all of the systems, and that they work properly, before you leave the lot. Plan at least an hour minimum. Get a checklist to keep track of what you've checked and take notes. Here's a link to one checklist, but there's plenty out there on the internet.
A Checklist for Buying an RV - RV Basics .com
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #9

As LJAZ stated above and there will be lots of info for take notes or video on one of those 'smart phones' if available to reference later.
LOOK CLOSELY and the fit and finish too as adjustments/replacement could be required... like a scrape in the ceiling, staples that didn't hold, etc.
Ask if the wheels/tires have been balanced ... they should be for a better ride and reduction in wear/tear on the suspension.
Your selling dealer is the one you will deal with for any repairs/warranty work so a good working relationship is important.

Best and happy camping
Old 03-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #10

Like Eagle has mentioned look at how things are finished. Our 210uds was relatively trouble free I still had a few repairs from new. One was the frame for one of the outside baggage compartments was not 100% sealed at the top near the awning frame. Small amounts of water could migrate in while driving, that took a little while to find. Also all the plumbing and wiring that is run through the flooring had to be sealed with spray foam. One under kitchen sink, bathroom sink and under the fridge. Also the entrance door frame was not sealed to my satisfaction so I sealed it while I was at it. Silverado

Also there is a thread" Frustrated with Quality" you can search for on this forum that gives some good insight and things to consider.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
When you pick it up make sure that you have the dealer give you a thorough walk through. Make sure you understand how to operate all of the systems, and that they work properly, before you leave the lot. Plan at least an hour minimum. Get a checklist to keep track of what you've checked and take notes. Here's a link to one checklist, but there's plenty out there on the internet.
A Checklist for Buying an RV - RV Basics .com
Thank you very much LJAZ! I saved the list and will be ready when it’s pick up time
Old 03-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #12

Thank you Eagle and Silverado for the tips... we’ll be on the look out for sure!! Enjoy the upcoming camping season!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #13

One more question for the forum... any feedback on the CIPA extension mirrors for a GMC Sierra 2017 truck? Good or bad?

10951-cipa-miroir-gmc-sierra-silverado
Old 03-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #14

I thought about getting those mirror extensions when had my Ram 1500 but opted for the factory towing mirrors instead....located on Ebay at far less than the dealership.

It was a wise choice IMO as factory tow mirrors are rock solid* and also, as the regular mirrors were, they were heated/adjustable from inside the cab, both drivers and passenger mirrors.

*a rock solid mount without vibration/wind jiggle gives you a clear picture of your towed unit...no guessing if anything may be lose or ??
Old 03-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #15

Great... thank you!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #16
Site Team

I have the CIPA extensions for my 2011 Silverado. I really like them. They are well designed and are really easy to put on and take off. They don't vibrate at all so you get a nice clear image.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
One more question for the forum... any feedback on the CIPA extension mirrors for a GMC Sierra 2017 truck? Good or bad?

10951-cipa-miroir-gmc-sierra-silverado
I also have a set for my 2014 GMC and think they are great. Have had them for two years.
Pro's- Price
Fit well
Look Stock
Do not shake or vibrate
Easy to install
Con's-Need to store when not in use.