Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 PM   #21

Apostle, that a nice looking setup. Is that an ARE brand bed topper ? I am giving serious thought to a cover like that, as it sure would be nice to have a lockable, weathertight bed area.

Basically, all the advantages of a SUV, plus all the advantages of a truck.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #22

I have a high profile ARE topper, exactly like the one in the picture at the top of the page. We love it -- the side "windors" open up and out, and I can reach in and get cargo from the sides as well as the back. Lots of cargo capacity. And with the raised top, I can crawl in if necessary and move around. (I rarely do that, though -- usually not necessary, and it is tough on my knees.)

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #23

My personal opinion is that some of manufacturer's tow ratings are gamed. Like the gas mileage tests that used to be flat courses on calm no head wind days, super smooth test tracks to really boost the mileage claims.
Tow ratings are on level roads, no head winds, balanced well with regards to the tongue weight.
In the real world if you use the manufacturer's tow ratings to get a camper to/from a campground on a level route, maybe 2-3 hours from home, no worries.
But - deal with head winds and mountains. The need for on ramp acceleration and fighting cross-winds, asking a lightweight vehicle to control (braking/steering) a heavy camper, all it takes it one "perfect storm" to result in poor outcome.
I towed our 210UDS with a V8 Titan. I towed hard and long days. Heat resulted in cracked left exhaust manifold, then right exhaust manifold. Then had a leaking driver's side rear axle seal and then the passenger side. Going through the Rockies, those long drawn out grades-speed dwindled to 35mph.
But that's me sharing my thoughts only.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:19 AM   #24

Hi Apostle,
That is a nice looking rig you have there... I am curious as to the GWR of the trailer, would you post it for me please?

Your trailer looks to be large enough to be comfortable and offer a bit of private space for you and your XYL, yet small enough to still be cozy. It is a bit larger than my needs/wants at this time (Mine is only a 19-1/2 footer with a 16-1/2 foot livable box), but something to keep in the back of my mind...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #25

michellep - For some reason I didn't find the info about the Tacoma having the ability to tow more than 3500lbs. I still would have gotten my Frontier between the two. I liked the looks and the handling better when I test drove them.

gmw - Yes, it is an ARE shell. My wife made fun of me for getting it. She said it makes it look like a grandpa's truck. I reminder her I am a grandpa! LOL It has been a blessing and she recognizes the usefulness of it especially in traveling. It's not as fancy as profdant139's though. I traded my flip-bak for it on Craigslist and had my local paint shop match the color.

runner421 - I always had the opposite view thinking they under rated the towing capacity for safety reasons. I thank you for sharing your thought and experience.

John_C - The Dry Weight is 5135 and the Load Max is 2310. I'm not positive, but are these two numbers together the GWR?
Old 06-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #26

Been meaning to ask...what does your wife do and are you looking for another job?
Old 06-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #27

Kansas - My wife had a full time job taking care of me. Since I worked shift work I wanted her to be off when I was so we could spend that time together. I'm not looking real hard right now, just enjoying being out of the rat race. I do have a few lines out, but no bites as of yet. Since my job was moved over seas I'm waiting on the Trade Adjustment Assistance. The government will pay me unemployment and pay for school for two years. It would seem more logical if they made it better for companies to stay here instead of driving them to other countries then paying unemployment and schooling.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:17 AM   #28

I wish you both luck and I agree that the government/corporate America should take care of those of us that helped make the country and their businesses great!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post

John_C - The Dry Weight is 5135 and the Load Max is 2310. I'm not positive, but are these two numbers together the GWR?
Hi Apostle,
1st, I probably should have said GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)... My apologies...

My trailer came with a book that explained the weights...
GVWR ............. 6095 (The same as listed on the trailer data plate)
Cargo ............. 2705 (Not on Data Plate) (This number [In my case] is affected by trailer Options*)
Dry Weight*.... 3390 (Not on Data Plate)

The * goes below the chart and says Dry Weight DOES NOT include Options. The A/C, Stove, Heater, Larger and Dual Batteries, etc., are not included in the dry weight; therefore, my trailer could have close to a 500 lbs. of options Unaccounted for. All this means is the Gross Weight Rating (GVWR) is the number to be your upper limit and it is best to weigh your trailer both loaded and empty (No Cargo, tanks empty, etc.) to know the real weights... After this, you will know what the trailer weighs and how much stuff you can carry and still be within the GVWR. Anyway, don't assume that adding these two (Load and Dry) will add up to your GVWR, although, they probably do, but if like mine the Load would include the options onboard reducing one's assumed added weight... food, water, bedding, etc. The GVR is okay, but the actual Load needs to be reduced by the Options ... Therefore, actual weights tell the story...

Anyway, My truck's tow limit, is rated at a Max Trailer GVWR of 10,900 lbs., this means I am within the rated limits. The point I am trying to make is check the trailer data plate for the GVWR and check that this falls within the TV's Max Trailer GVWR (Max tow weight).

I hope this make sense... Good luck and I am sorry for the long winded answer to what you probably already know...
Attached Thumbnails
FF Data Plae -- GVWR.gif   Trailer Book Information -- GVWR.gif  

Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #30

Hey John, I found the tag on the outside that has the GVWR listed. It is 7445#
I did consider weighing it at the truck stop scales just to see where I am on weight, but just didn't take the time to do it. Thanks for the "Long winded answer" You learned me some things in doing so.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Hey John, I found the tag on the outside that has the GVWR listed. It is 7445#
I did consider weighing it at the truck stop scales just to see where I am on weight, but just didn't take the time to do it. Thanks for the "Long winded answer" You learned me some things in doing so.
Hey Apostle...
I'm glad I could help... I'll make this one shorter... Good luck to you two... attach lots of pics and above all... BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN...