Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Default Our New 214wsd

New owners of a Fun Finder 214WSD and we love it! We have seen FF for years and always have been interested as we only had a V6. Finally last year we started researching light weight trailers and were ready to make the plunge. We bought a V8 Toyota Sequoia which opened up our options a little more. We picked ours up May 2 from Happy Daze RV in Sacramento, they were great to deal with!! I would recommend them to anyone in CA looking to buy an RV or travel trailer. We left the dealership and went strait out on a 5 day road trip to break it in. We really broke it in! The dogs got skunked and we used the outside shower to wash them off. The front stabilizing jacks came loose on the highway, lucky for us we saw it when we stopped to get gas and there happened to be a Happy Daze RV location off the next exit and they had us fixed and back on the road in 10 min. Even checked all the other ones for us. Later we got a flat tire, fortunately it was in a beautiful camp ground and was not on the side of the highway. We did notice that the BBQ stand seemed a little weak so we ghetto rigged it and it has worked, we will probably travel with our Weber baby Q instead. We have been out camping every weekend since we got it. We did have a weird water pump last weekend, it sounded as if it had been sucking in some air. It was the day we were heading home so we figured we would look at it at home and oddly it just started working again once we were back. So we will stay turned on that issue and see if it re-surfaces. LOVE THIS TRAILER!!

panamawolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you are "go with the flow" folks with the issues you had on your first outing. I bought a 4 yr old 210wbs 2 months ago and went over it as soon as I got home and found 3 of my jacks loose. That was the only thing I found and am really pleased with the TT. Lots of great info and folks on the forum. Stay active, you won't regret it.

Kansas City, MO
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #3

Default 214WSD

Welcome panamawolff! Saw "Mammoth Lakes" and had to look ... we spent two weeks there at a USFS CG in a 15ft trailer for our honeymoon ... 40 years ago ... before we moved north ....

So, a new 214, FUN!! I recommend REALLY looking things over this first year and paying close attention to detail. We really like ours a lot, picked it up last August. But, not impressed with assembly and attention to detail. For instance:

1 - Forum noted that many folks had leaks in drain traps, so that was the 1st thing I checked after backing into the driveway. Yup, shower trap was very loose, kitchen sink was barely connected, only one connector ring in the bath vanity sink was tight, all the rest were loose, as in very.
2. - One of our stab jacks was loose too .. as in a bolt snaped off during assembly. I plan to replace them, as many others have, with Bal Scissor Jacks.
3. - The bracket holding the fresh water tank was improperly installed - angle steel support was not clamped down to the frame when tap-screwed and so it was not screwed firmly to the frame but was up in the air, being held up by the screws ....
4. - I always do a 'rain-test' ... by putting a hose with lawn sprinkler on the roof. Better to find those leaks in the driveway than up in Timbuktu!
Yup, bad leak in the slider, running into the trailer at the front side and across the floor by the bed. And one of the rain gutters improperly installed (bad joint) so 85% of water on street side of trailer running off over the bedroom window.
5. - Water pump poorly installed so as to not only vibrate against cabinet, but loosen plumbing to boot!
6. - A CURE FOR YOUR BBQ! Ours was ready to fall off after 2hrs of being installed (this I unfortunately did not see until our first outing). The hanger bracket is poorly installed and I made them reinstall with Moly bolts. But then I also installed a bracket on the frame under the trailer with 2 support rods. BBQ is hung on bracket, then support rods are set inplace to run from front of BBQ to bracket on frame. SOLID!
7. - We discovered a bad leak just last month in the curb side bedroom window during a rain .. in our driveway luckily. It has been in once, but is not yet cured so is going in again this week. I think the water is getting in from a poorly installed and sealed gutter/awning hanger. When the gutter up there fills, I think water is seeping into the gutter/awning hanger molding and into screw holes. Problem with water and the Filon siding is that if the bonding in the Filon weakens and the fiberglass and luan separate, the wall goes all to Hades!

Numerous other issues, but the dealer is making a real effort to correct them all. The service manager says I seem to be more adept at finding the small things than many owners - said as a compliments, because she says perhaps that way we'll end up with more years of enjoyment in it! [NOTE: - I have a 6 page document of all my issues and a CD with pictures that I turn in each time the trailer goes in. the Service mngr says I do half her work for her ... yes, but I document the heck out of these kinds of issues with close and detailed photos and descriptions so there is no question as to the date and type of problem.] Problem is that you need to find the problems before the warranty runs out! And, while I'm going to purchase an extended warranty, they do not cover the 'structural' (siding, frame, etc.) issues. All said, we still like the design a LOT, it is comfy and fills our need and tows great. Enough so that I'm moving forward on numerous upgrade modifications. (you can follow them on the Modifcations treads once I get my pictures posted!) OH fun!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote