Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #1

Default Question about Honda Ridgeline

I own a 2006 Honda ridgeline and looking at the Cruiser Rv Fun Finder X
My owners manual states that 5000 lbs is my max tow weight. I'm considering a 2011 214 WSD. IT's Dry weight is 4135. I would do sway control and weight distribution. Does anyone have experience towing with the Ridgline?? Will the Ridgeline handle this okay??

Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #2

Technically what you need to look at is the gross combined weight rating of the Ridgeline VS what your Ridgeline weighs, curb weight, what will be IN the Ridgeline when towing, then how much your trailer weighs and what will be IN your trailer.

A couple points...

My Xterra weighs 4200lbs, add me and my wife and our two german shephards and its 4760, travel supplies adds another 25lbs, to be 4785. Trailer weighs 4850, bedding, food, camp chairs, tools, clothes, camp supplies add 250lbs, 30 gallons of water adds another 240lbs, bringing the trailer up to 5340. Add weight of the equalizer hitch, another 100lbs puts it at 5440, plus truck equals 10,229lbs. It adds up quick!

That 4135 advertised is the base trailer with no options, no battery, no propane. A/C unit is an option, spare tire is an option, TV is an option, awning is an option, each increases the weight.

I had a experience with my 230DS trailer. Originally Funfinder said it weighed 3883lbs, a year later they changed it to 4400lbs. When I weighed it, it tipped the scales at 4850, it was exactly like when I drove it off the dealers lot.

To know for sure you have to weigh the trailer yourself.

I would bet your trailer, with the options installed, with battery and propane will weigh close to 4500 before you add one thing. And it is amazing how quickly weight grows when you add bedding, clothes, food, camping supplies, etc.

If you take it easy I would bet your Honda will do OK, but you will be at the limit. The big strains on a tow vehicle is pulling the sail area into the wind, up hills and stopping, and that last one is the most critical. Will it handle it, sure, will it handle it safely, I would imagine no.

Good luck!!

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

Default Towing with a Ridgeline

I agree with Keysor Soze about weighing the trailer and TV with both loaded. Also, I don't know how the auto manufacturers establish tow weights, but I think they are optimistic to say the least.

In addition to the weight/towing limits, consider where you will be traveling. A trip down the east coast, or midwest, or coastal california doesn't place the same stress on the TV as a trip through the Rockies, Smoky Mountains, or any number of other challenging places. You'll be glad to have the extra power, both engine and braking, when you tackle the mountains.
Patient and understanding wife
dlhilliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #4

Default Question about Honda Ridgeline

Thanks to both of you for the info. Based on my Ridgeline, What would you recommend as a good weight to consider to tow??
Old 09-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #5

What type of camping do you intend to persue? Dry camp, resort camp, KOA's???
Dry camping requires bring EVERYTHING, food, water, supplies, possible generator, so it involves the highest load factor. Water weighs 8lbs a gallon, most trailers hold 30 gallons, thats 240lbs.
Basic Hook Up, is where electricity and water are supplied by the campground. Some do and some don't have dump stations so you might be leaving with full blackwater and greywater tanks.
Full Hook Up, these locations have water, electricity, sewer dumps, some even WiFi, Satellite or cable. With these you can travel lighter, no need to bring water.

If you want to dry camp, your trailer needs to be 3500 to 3800 as equiped. If you are going with full hook ups, you can push that out to 4000 or 4250, as equiped. Remember that weight is what the trailer weighs, with a 60lb battery and full propane, including what ever style hitch you get. The Equl-i-zer Hitch weighs 100lbs, not sure what other hitches weigh.

We camp exclusively at Full hookup establishments, and mostly places catagorized as RV Resorts, we use our trailer as a alternative to hotels, we use our 4x4 to exploring, but return to all the creature comforts at days end. Thats us, your trailer needs to suit what you love.

The ideal weight is a trailer with a gross weight rating that is at or under your tow rating, problem is with a 5000# tow rating you are more limited. For me, I am comfortable using a trailer that is 1000# lighter than my tow rating, that gives a good safety margin for supplies, but you have to be mindful of what you load.

One option is a "Certified Weight" trailer. Skyline's Nomad, Joey, Aljo Ultra lite trailers and Keystone Passport ultra lite trailers are weighed before they're shipped out, and include a "Weight Certificate" that shows the true weight. Of the Fun Finder line, I'd say 189 or 210 series would be a good match depending what you intend to do, but in my experience, Fun Finder is not honest in their weights.

The Passport 195RB, or the Skyline Nomad 194, 210 or 248 are lite trailers, weight certified, and great quality.

I just traded our 230 for a Nomad 206. Its certified at 4320#, over 500# lighter than our 230DS, and a foot longer.

Don't get me wrong, Fun Finders are great trailers, we had 2-1/2 trouble free years, we covered over 15,000 miles and the trailer was in great shape when we traded it, but for the length they are heavy.
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #6

Default We have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline

We have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline, and we just purchased a 2010 210WBS. We had the Fun Finder dealer install a weight distribution hitch with sway control bars. As I recall the 210WBS is said to weigh about 3,500 (dry) in the company brochure.
We have never pulled a travel trailer, so I've not much to compare but the Ridgeline does seem to be working pretty hard going up hills.
We love the Ridgeline and would not consider anything else...we have also enjoyed the Fun Finder.
I'd suggest that you go to the Ridgeline Owners site, there is a Forum on camping and trailer towing that will give you more information.
Good luck.

Honda Ridgeline
bobandmuriel is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hello!! | hi »