Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #1

Default Tow vehicle vs trailer weights

Hello again, Hope to get some advice about tow vehicle vs trailer weights.
We have decided on the FF X210WBS and now need to decide on the tow vehicle.
Unfortunately we are stuck with parking spot size in our underground parking.
I would like a full size pick-up but they all seem to top 18 feet which won't fit our spot.
The smaller midsized pick-ups are somewhat shorter. I am concerned about the midsized weight being almost the same as the trailer if not a little less. Is this an issue of safety?
I am only familiar with large pop-ups, this will be our first hard side.
Thanks in advance

oshawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #2

We have a 2008 210wbs and I tow it with an 2008 Cadillac Esclade - but it's a tight fit in my garage.... So perhaps not a good choice for you

Kallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

Purchased our 2009 and pulled it the first year with a 2000 Dodge Dakota quad cab wth the larger V-8. Enough power but felt a little light. Longer wheel base was good, but bought the Chrysler Aspen with 5,7 Hemi and lots more power for mountains in Utah.
2009 Chrysler Aspen
Jim T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

Being the same weight or even lighter is not a large concern. My TV is almost identical in weight to the TT (see signature), right at 3 tons each. The trick is to have enough horsepower to get the job done, enough brakes to get it to stop and adequate weight distribution and tongue weight to keep it stable (aided by anti-sway devices or hitches).

Look at the HD pickups... Most of them are rated to tow way more weight than the weight of the pickup. RAM HD2500 with the Cumins Turbo diesel is rated to tow over 12,000 lbs., while the truck is less than half that. Weight of TV isn't directly bearing on the tow capacity or safety. More is better, but, not mandatory. The "build" of the TV is, however; you want horsepower, torque, frame rigidity and weight carrying capacity.

The longer wheel base on some vehicles aids greatly in towing control and maneuverability (a longer wheelbase will make backing the TT much easier). Any good sized SUV or smaller pickup can quite safely haul your TT if it has enough horsepower and a weight capacity to handle the passengers, cargo and tongue weight. Despite the most common chant "get a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup", they really aren't necessary unless you are planning on upgrading to a 5th wheel or a TT exceeding 28 or 30'...

Look around...you should be able to find a TV that fits your parking space and will still safely tow your trailer and it doesn't' have to be a pickup truck. My Commander will fit into any parking space not marked "compact cars only" and there are many other "non pickup truck" vehicles out there will do the job for you.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #5

Default Tow vehcile VS trailer weight

Thanks folks for all the good information.
I'll keep looking for the right tow vehicle.
Regards
oshawa is offline   Reply With Quote