Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #1

Default Trying to decide on my first Travel Trailer

Hey everyone just thought I would chime in and say hi. I'm in the market for my first travel trailer, and looking for something that I can tow behind my 2010 Tacoma 4x4 v-6 with tow package, I really like the 24.6 model of the fun finder and the 21.6 model the only other Model I have found that is light is the 2265 Takena by Chalet. Heres the thing I'm going to full time in whatever I get, me my wife and the 60# dog. Yes a bigger tow veihicle would be great but thats not in the cards, I plan on going all over. I read on here and rv forums people saying a V-6 can't handle it. but then I go to the Tacoma forum and people are towing 26ft trailers on the cascades in Oregon and passes in Canada, there is so much conflicting info.I know I will get crappy gas milage 7-12 while towing and won't be a speed demon,But I can deal with that. So any info you guys have would be greatly appriciated.

subnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #2

While you may be able to stay within the towing weight limits with a larger trailer, that's not the whole story. The bigger the trailer, the less enjoyable and more expensive it is to tow. I have a 16 ft FunFinder that I tow with a V8 Explorer, so I don't need weight distribution hitch or sway control. The frontal area of the trailer is similar to most TTs so you do feel the parachute effect especially in a head wind. I also have a folding Aliner camper and that is really nice to tow behind the Explorer. Thus for longer trips I find I take the Aliner since its great to tow and the gas mileage increases significantly.

You must decide how large of a TT that you really need to do what you intend. Myself, I'm much more of a traveler than a one spot camper.

No pets - Sponser Child https://www.childfund.org
gheicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #3

Default I thought the frontal area of the funfinder might be to much

I have been looking and the truck can handle the weight but I'm not sure about the wind resistance. I'm thinking the scamp, casitas and esapes and even the takenas would be better, lower slimmer profile. Its a tough choice, I really like the fun finder layout.But the takena 2265 has about everything it lighter, 4500 gvrw, has a pass through storage, queen walk around and slide out. and a lower slimmer profile.
subnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

Default Re: I thought the frontal area of the funfinder might be to

Quote:
Originally Posted by subnate
I have been looking and the truck can handle the weight but I'm not sure about the wind resistance. I'm thinking the scamp, casitas and esapes and even the takenas would be better, lower slimmer profile. Its a tough choice, I really like the fun finder layout.But the takena 2265 has about everything it lighter, 4500 gvrw, has a pass through storage, queen walk around and slide out. and a lower slimmer profile.
NO NO NO To big , 189 FDS FF Its matched with my TRD Sport Tocoma V6 That has a class 4 tow PAK OIL & TRANS Cooler Will Tow 6500 LBS Its in the Owners Manuel , But someone said about the Head Wind and HE is right & going up hill The Wind is the KEY , I allso pulled with my Company Truck thats a F-250 I think my V-6 in my Toyota pulls just as good , But just like in my Toyota the Wind gives the Ford HELL to , I live in Page AZ , I'm in the middle of all the Parks in AZ & UT that we like, So we don't drive to far , But if I was going more then a few States away ? I'll bring my Tent and leve the camper at home. GAS$$$$ Just my 2 cents
Megabusa is offline   Reply With Quote