Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #1

Default want to put a heat element in the ac anyone done this?

just found my 2008 funfinder 189fbr seems to be a nice little travel trailer had to have it ac has optional heat setting i think i want to put the heat element in wondering where to get it and is it a pain?

wrenchbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Site Team

This is on my list of things to do as well, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I did an internet search a while ago and I think the best price I found was around $60. I downloaded the instructions and doesn't seem like it would be hard to do, but can't say for sure since I haven't done it yet.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #3

Default Heater strip install

I have a 210 with ducted A/C. Bought a strip online for $60 bucks 2 months ago. I went in through the top by removing the shroud and a sheet metal panel. The strip slips into a pre-drilled hole on one side and is held in place with a sheet metal screw on the other. The screw is the reason it is basically impossible to install from below - the unit will slide up in easy but no way to fit your hand, hold the screw, hold the unit, and a screwdriver in that space. Still have to remove the duct on the inside to connect the wire harness. Allow at least an hour start to finish mostly to put the shroud back on - a little bit of wrestling and a lot of screws!
My unit was already wired for a heater strip on the thermostat so no issues there.
It was about 45 deg in the barn and when I tested the unit - the air definitely felt warmer after 30 secs - the strip itself was too hot to touch.

Nice unit to take the morning chill off but won't heat the camper like the furnace.
eplater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #4

well ok i put it in and it is 20f and it will maintain at 64f in the travel trailer so it was easy to do $60 dollar kit and all i had to do is remove the inside cover and put the element in with 2 screws that came with the element the holes was predrilled and plug it in then put inside cover back on less than 10 min. turn it on works! now i agree with the statment it is great to take the chill out but it wont take place of the furnace but if you ran out of propane and had electric you can maintain 64f until you get propane. I can say this about the 189FBR funfinder thanks for the help everone just needed some direction!
Old 12-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #5

Everyone finds their own pluses and minuses in modifications.. so whatever works for the individual is cool! I used to think I wanted to put a heat strip in the AC. Instead I opted for purchasing a nice (about $30 at WAL-MART) omni-directional ceramic heater. I have a 20ft TT... and it keeps me very comfortable without running my AC fan or furnace.

I have used the heater with outside temps as low as 30.. and kept the camper around 72 degrees. One time I woke up sweating.. I had mis-adjusted the heater's thermostat.. and it was about 80 inside the TT.

I haven't turned on the furnace since buying the heater.
chuck9997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

yes i agree i thought about the walmart $30 heater! then i went to look at them they was made cheap if you seen the heat package that i purchased made in usa and built with a safety package + safety package in the ac unit then it is wired factory dont need to think about the cord getting overheated or kicking it over on the way to the bathroom and lets face it not alot of space for the heater to be sitting around in the floor. just my thoughts on the wal mart heater keep usa strong fun finder usa ac usa truck to pull it all silverado driver usa
Old 12-17-2010, 11:22 PM   #7

Not sure how to break the news.. but a bunch of stuff in the FunFinder.. and in the Silverado are not true USA. Gonna be hard to live buying only USA. But some of that is our fault.. we have sent many good jobs out of the country with our never ending demand for MORE $$$.

My heater is well built.. pulls less than 10 amps.. and shuts off if its tipped over. Not sure where it was made.

I am not against the AC heat strip.. just didnt wanna run the AC unit year round.

chuck9997 is offline   Reply With Quote