Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 08:29 AM   #21

Thanks GTLA9, more confirmation I'm in good shape. Do I remember you from the old FF Site. You have been living in Mexico a long time. Were you the Guy that put the 5000 BTU AC in the escape window? I always like that idea. I have one of those sitting around here that I keep eyeing since I'm no longer using my water heater. I'm thinking about replacing my water heater with the small AC. I took out the big roof one and replaced it with a Fantastic Fan but I got this little AC just sitting there. Hmmm. Old mens minds just keep on spinning don't they? HH

Haole Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole Hiker View Post
Thanks GTLA9, more confirmation I'm in good shape. Do I remember you from the old FF Site. You have been living in Mexico a long time. Were you the Guy that put the 5000 BTU AC in the escape window? I always like that idea. I have one of those sitting around here that I keep eyeing since I'm no longer using my water heater. I'm thinking about replacing my water heater with the small AC. I took out the big roof one and replaced it with a Fantastic Fan but I got this little AC just sitting there. Hmmm. Old mens minds just keep on spinning don't they? HH
You have a very good memory. Yes, that window unit in my 189 worked extremely well.

Newer TTs that are under 20ft now use window a/c in a cabinet. Older Trailmanors, 2001 and before never had roof air. It was an a/c unit up to 12,000 btus depending on the size of the unit.

I am now thinking about removing the roof a/c from my 230DS, replacing it with a dome and adding a minisplit (high wall unit) on a reinforced bumper or on the hitch.

qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #23

Default Battery WAS good

First time out with a new used189fbs, everything worked fine, battery would be fine for a few days before we topped it up , then , one night it died and would not hold a charge for more than 1/2 a day, nothing is on but the fridge, not sure why it is dying without a draw(?). I don't have a meter with me, and I can manage for a few days with a gem set every morning, but I do lose the fridge every night.
Can a battery die this quick??
Thx

PAUL
Flintsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #24

When you say "nothing is on but the fridge" is it on 12 volt or propane? if it is on 12 volt it will drain the battery fast.
"Skinny people are easier to kidnap...eat more pie"
PieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #25

Well, I thought the fridge would go on gas automatically, perhaps I'm wrong , so I've ensured that the Fridge is now NOT on auto, and just gas( I thought in auto it would use the propane first) as well, I found that the club mate control switch was on, maybe got accidentally switched ?.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #26

Well, I thought the fridge would go on gas automatically, perhaps I'm wrong , so I've ensured that the Fridge is now NOT on auto, and just gas( I thought in auto it would use the propane first) as well, I found that the club mate control switch was on, maybe got accidentally switched ?.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #27

I'd love to have your 12V refrigerator. They're hard to come by these days. With solar anything is possible.

I've been boondocked in San Miguel de Allende Mexico now for four weeks. The solar just won't stop producing. It's cloudy and overcast right now and still coming in at 13.5. A big footprint panel helps I think.

If you have four batteries and a solar panel you will hardly ever need to switch to propane on the fridge.

Let us know how it goes.
qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #28

"Club mate control" --that might be a typo -- do you mean climate control switch?

The bigger question is your batteries -- did these come with the used trailer? If so, there is no way to know whether the former owner maintained them properly. And yes, if there is a bad cell, the battery can die real fast.

Many people have different battery setups that they recommend. Here is my personal setup (and we do a lot of off grid boondocking). I have two group 31 batteries. One is in use, and the other is a spare, and I swap them out when the first one drops to 12.1 or 12.2 volts. I check them every day with a little multi meter -- very cheap and easy.

At home, I keep them on a BatteryMinder Plus. I check the water every month. I check the specific gravity of the cells with a little cheap hydrometer -- it will warn you when a cell is going bad.

These batteries have lasted me four years of heavy use. But they do not last forever.

Good luck, and let us know if you have more questions.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote