Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #1

Default 189FBR Bathroom Wall/Door Mod - any tips? experience?

Hey! Don't you wish it would get warm and I would get off the computer? Here is my next project (while I wait for the recessed lights to arrive)

Trying to make this a comfortable as possible, since it's our home now. As mentioned, hubs is a big guy. He doesn't really fit in the bathroom. I've added a curtain to the front, so we can leave the door open and have a bit more room, BUT the angled wall still gets in the way. I took the toilet off to see if I could turn it a bit, but it only fits on the bolts straight out, can't angle it at all.

In the 189FBR the doorway is set at an angle across the bathroom. I want to remove the small section of the wall that interferes with the toilet alignment. This means I'll effectively lose the whole wall/door. Which is fine, I will put up a larger curtain on an arced ceiling rail.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience removing that little piece of wall. It's only about 6" long, but it's sturdy, since the door hinges are mounted to it. I think I'm just going to have to work from the outside in.

Liz
Attached Thumbnails
FF_bathWall_remove.jpg  

Old 01-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #2

ok, I don't know why I write posts asking questions, I'm not patient enough to wait for answers LOL. So, here you go - bathroom access widened.

One can now use the facilities without yoga moves. Haven't decided where I'm going to hang the curtain yet. I think I'm going to move it so it just covers the opening

Tips:

The sole plate is screwed to the floor, and you can access it when you remove the paneling.

The plastic door jamb is held on with double-sided adhesive and is hard to remove, but no nails/staples.

The top plate is screwed to the ceiling, but you can't access it until you remove the studs that are stapled to it. I pried the large staples out with a slim nail puller bar and a pair of pliers.

The small stud that is left after removing the first section is screwed together UNDER the wallboard that is on the other wall, so you have to pry it up to remove those screws.

So - much more accessible, and comfortable. Now I have to go deal with a water leak that suddenly appeared under the bathroom sink?? Maybe I crammed too many things under there LOL

Happy Modding!

Liz
Attached Thumbnails
tn_Opening_Bathroom_Wall_WackyPup_9.jpg   tn_Opening_Bathroom_Wall_WackyPup_1.jpg   tn_Opening_Bathroom_Wall_WackyPup_6d.jpg   tn_Opening_Bathroom_Wall_WackyPup_7d.jpg   tn_Opening_Bathroom_Wall_WackyPup_11.jpg  

Old 01-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #3

Wink

Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Opening_Bathroom_Wall_WackyPup_13.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1518

fixed the curtain

Liz
Old 01-02-2020, 05:11 PM   #4

So now that you don't have an actual door for the bathroom, here is a "privacy workaround." When one person is in the bathroom, the other person plays loud music!

Go ahead and laugh, but it works. We bring a little solar powered blue tooth speaker and an old iPod loaded up with old rock and roll. It's the opposite of white noise.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
So now that you don't have an actual door for the bathroom, here is a "privacy workaround." When one person is in the bathroom, the other person plays loud music!

Go ahead and laugh, but it works. We bring a little solar powered blue tooth speaker and an old iPod loaded up with old rock and roll. It's the opposite of white noise.

LOL. . I have missed you all!

Liz