Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #1

Default 189FBR removing bunk drop down door

hi!

I am in the process of remodeling the interior of my 2008 189 FBR. I took the dinette out and replaced it with a couch with storage. I removed the dropdown part of the bunk so that I would have easier access to the stuff I store up there.

I want to hang a curtain in front of the stuff, has anyone done this and if so how did you attach a wire or curtain rod?

In case you're interested, I am posting the process of my mods on my blog, http://wackypup.blogspot.com/

Thanks for any help with the curtains!
Liz

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

I love the pipe insulation "hubby-proofing" ... I could use that on our 214WSD. The fabric cover on it really makes it awesome. You should sell those ... I'd buy one

I was hoping to see a photo of the finished couch project but all I found were lots of pictures of cute doggies

Neil

Old 04-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

thanks for checking out the blog! I am slowly getting pictures of the couch together, & I will definitely put them up so keep looking. how about I put up a picture of the finished couch today, and then keep posting the process after that? Just seems to take forever to get things ready to put on the blog. ....... (An hour passes) .... Ok, pictures are up!!! Check it out now, please let me know what you think!! http://wackypup.blogspot.com/

Liz
Old 04-16-2015, 07:55 AM   #4

Default hubby proofing

I will post pics of how to make the hubby proof edge
Old 04-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #5

I don't need instructions, I just wouldn't take the time to do it myself. I've never worked with fabric and I don't own a hot glue gun But, you never know ... maybe someday I'll tackle that project. Your description of how you did it is instruction enough

Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

Liz,

You may want to hit up your local RV supply store for curtin rail just like the stuff that is used for the shower curtin or the one that slides in front of the queen bed. You can run this along the ceiling above the edge of the bunk.

The other way you could go is take down the two latch plates on either side where the bunk would lock in the up position and replace them with some custom fabricated plates with an eye screw in each. You could then run wire across them. You should be able to get all the parts at your local hardware or big box hardware stores. IKEA makes some hooks with clips for wire curtin installations that would work great for this as well.

Good luck! I love new and exciting modifications!

Ed
Ed Venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #7

Thanks, Ed, for your ideas. I ended up buying an inexpensive cafe rod from Walmart for about $6 that extends to 8 feet! I hung it using cup hooks as suggested by another ff owner. Initially I tried just using one of the screws that was holding the latch plate to fasten a piece of picture wire across and it pulled the screw right out of the wall lol. I didn't like the way it sagged anyway I much prefer a cafe rod. (I know that is not what you suggested at all lol your idea it was much better but I thought I'd tell you what I did anyway)

Thank you for taking the time to send me your suggestions, eventually I will get more pictures posted of the new curtain and new shelving.

One unexpected bonus was that the shelf became extra counter space for the toaster oven and the crock pot while I was cooking. More than doubled the amount of counter space that I originally had.

We took the trailer out on a shakedown campout for a couple nights and all my designs worked! Most of them worked even better than I had hoped. The only thing that wasn't successful was a footstool I built, I just don't want to have to keep moving something around in that tiny space. I will eventually get more of the mods posted on my blog http:WackyPup.blogspot.com