Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #1

Default 189FBR Structure and Strength

Hi all,

Does anyone know how the frame of the 189 FBR is built? Specifically the back wall. I was thinking of bolting something through the wall but was afraid that the torque from bouncing might just rip the wall off the camper. I know it has an aluminum frame but is the frame attached at the corners? I would assume so, but I have no idea and the factory video didn't really show it.

So my main question is how strong is the frame on this thing?

Thanks in advance!

Liz

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

What is it that you want to attach to the back wall?

The frame for the back wall that I have seen is 3/4 or 1 inch square aluminum tubing with foam between the "studs". This is overlaid with thin sheets of Luan plywood. This combination is the glued to the outside layer of Fiberglas.

The manufacturer does not usually attach ladders to the back of their trailers because of the overall strength of the wall and the fact that they would have to provide some form of blocking for attachment of the ladder. I don't know exactly how the wall corners are tied together, but I assume they weld them together with additional strength from overlap of the wall materials.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

I'm sure the frame is pretty strong, but the back wall is another question. I'm not sure if there is any aluminum framing in the back wall. I wanted to add some cleats but could not fine any aluminum in the corners.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

Twinster,

I just attached my backup camera to the aluminum frame on my back wall. I saw a couple studs but can't verify any more than that.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by N&K View Post
Twinster,

I just attached my backup camera to the aluminum frame on my back wall. I saw a couple studs but can't verify any more than that.
There must be at least a couple of studs where the spare tire is attached.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #6

I know there is an aluminum stud running across the top of the back wall because when I screwed my new shower liner to the wall across the top I was going into that stud.

I wondered if the back wall framing was actually soldered or screwed or bolted to the side wall framing. I would assume it would have to be. I know the walls are just really thin Luan sandwich over styrofoam.

I'm not sure what I want to screw to the back LOL I'm trying to find a way to carry the bikes on the back. I might get a receiver welded on but then the bikes would have to stick out farther than the spare tire, or move the tire.

If I was going to bolt a bike carrier or something on, I would go completely through the wall with a supporting plate on the inside of the camper so it shouldn't pull through the wall necessarily but it might pull the entire wall off LOL

We want to carry a larger kayak with us on our next trip so the bikes need to come out of the back of the truck. I really don't want to put them inside the camper as we used to do - I've gotten spoiled.

Ideally, I would like to have the bikes and some sort of a basket on the back to carry some tubs. I'm not really sure why - we seem to do fine the way we are but you know it could always be better LOL ( right now I am looking at electric clothes dryers to go with my new washer and trying to figure out how I can fit one of those in )

So has anybody figured out how to put bikes on the back with a nice basket for storage?

On a happy note I'm finished with the new improved removable awnings and will post pictures soon

Liz
PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #7

Wow .... not to be a smart butt, however have you given thought to a larger camper?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #8

Talking

[QUOTE=Eagle;19230]Wow .... not to be a smart butt, however have you given thought to a larger camper?[QUOTE]

Yep, and nope - this one is JUST THE WAY WE WANT IT . . . cozy queen memory foam bed w/down comforter, huge refrigerator, all cooking appliances, led lighting, washer (soon to be dryer) tons of storage, just made new cushions for storage couch, wifi TV, new tires, AND WE GET 13 MPG and CAN PARK ANYWHERE!

Liz
Old 04-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #9

OK !

Enjoy
Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #10

"Strong Travel Trailer" is an oxymoron and true of FF's. The aluminum framing in our FF's is very thin. You can actually cut through it with a sharp pocket knife. It gets what little strength it has from its rectangular shape. Even if you hit it with a screw or a bolt, it would not hold much. To confirm this, simple remove one of the central overhead light fixtures and look at the framing... its right there under the fixture and you can see it. (In a 189FBR.)

You cannot "solder" aluminum but you can weld it...but...our framing is so thin, I don't think your can weld it. So any joining of two pieces of aluminum would have to be screws or glue or both. Maybe they have some kind of spot welder that I don't know about. My guess is that the corners are single pieces of aluminum bent to shape.

If you need to fasten something to the back wall (not recommended), use a strong backer plate of heavy metal or plywood mounted on the INSIDE of the trailer and let your bolts run through it to the outside. The backer plate would spread the load and reduce the strain.

The steel under framing of our trailers is not "beefy" but it is adequate and better than my last trailer that lasted many many years.

On the UP side, the framing on our FF's does not rot.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
189fbr, construction, frame, strength