Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #1

Default 2003 T139 TV Mount

I want to take the bunk off the wall (not needed), and add a flat panel TV mount on the left side of the camper, on the wall. Are there studs between the inner and outer walls, that I can attach the mount to? Probably going with a 22" TV/DVD combo. would you think I could leave the TV up while traveling, or should I be safe and pack it separately. I'll probably add some shelves on the opposite wall.

Thanks,
Steve

BauerHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #2

Default There are studs, but . . . .

I'm not sure whether there are aluminum or wood studs on the 2009 model, but it doesn't matter. In either event, it is hard to find them. And if they are aluminum, it's hard to drill into them. And if they are wooden, they are very small and not very strong.

If you get a chance, check out my blog:

[url]http://lookmomimcamping.blogspot.com[url]

Scroll down to the discussion of my shelving units, which I anchored with plastic spiral molly anchors. Instead of looking for studs, I simply anchored everything into the luan siding.

Having said that, I would never travel with the TV on the wall – we always stow anything breakable, because the trailer bounces so much on the rough California freeways.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

but........?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #4

Good question. I have the same camper and the bunk has already been removed. I bought a 19" TV/DVD combo and would like to mount it on the right side, where the antenna and cable hook ups are, but have decided to leave it on the stand for now and transport it in my tow vehicle or packed in pillows in the camper and just put it on the counter when I want to watch. The good news is I put the antenna up and hooked it up and did a channel scan and I'm pulling 40+ channels of hi-def digital signal over the air for free. What the Hell am I paying for cable for? I might just install an antenna on my house. I don't watch that much TV anyways.
kujobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #5

Wow!! 40 + channels. That's awesome. I haven't even hooked a TV up to mine yet, as I just got the camper. Got a bid going on a 22" TV/DVD combo right now on Ebay. Maybe someone who knows, will weigh in on our question soon.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #6

Default There are studes -- here is the missing language

I tried to post this earlier, but the text dropped out. Here is what I tried to say:

I'm not sure whether there are aluminum or wood studs on the 2009 model, but it doesn't matter. In either event, it is hard to find them. And if they are aluminum, it's hard to drill into them. And if they are wooden, they are very small and not very strong.

I am having trouble posting a link to my blog, which is lookmomimcamping@blogspot.com -- if you paste that into your browser and scroll down to the discussion of my shelving units, you will see how I used plastic spiral molly anchors. Instead of looking for studs, I simply anchored everything into the luan siding.

Having said that, I would never travel with the TV on the wall – we always stow anything breakable, because the trailer bounces so much on the rough California freeways.

Good luck!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #7

The frame in your FunFinder should be aluminum. I believe, if my old memory serves me correctly, that by '08, the FunFinder line had completed the conversion to all aluminum framing. As was mentioned above, the bad thing, wood or aluminum, is that the framing is narrow.

In most instances, where mounting a television is "factory", the factory installs a bridging blocker panel between two studs and behind the luan used for the wall surface. That blocker is thick enough to take the number of screws necessary for the mounting plate (6-12 depending on the design and the weight of the television) and is supported by the two studs.

While the area that you want to hang your television from wasn't designed for it (no blocker behind the wall), you can achieve the same result if you are reasonably handy with woodworking. Instead of the blocker hidden behind the wall, you could (I've done it) make a decorative "blocker" designed to be mounted on the wall. It needs to be a hardwood, long enough to span two studs with about an inch over on each side. The height should be ~4" higher on each side of the bracket you are using (this prevents stress fracturing of the edges and reduces some of the leverage loading). If you have the tools, you can even route the edges decoratively, or, if you don't have a router, you can buy molding to make a "frame" around the edges. Depending on your skill level, you can make it as simple as a plain flat board, or with the proper tools, a work of art.
Mount the board to both studs with 3-6 screws on each side (aim for 2" separation between screws, you'll want at least 3 on each side, preferably 4 or more...). If you are sure of your position, i.e., you don't think you'll ever want to move it, you can even "reinforce" the mounting with some construction adhesive between your board and the wall for added stability. Once you have the board mounted, if you countersunk the screw holes, you can fill with wood putty and then sand it smooth and stain/paint the wood to closely match the interior decor of your trailer.

Once that is done, you'll have a perfectly adequate, both in strength and visual appeal, surface to mount your flat panel television brackets onto. You won't need to take it down for travel...it is, in essence, mounted the same as the factory does it and there are many thousands of us traveling daily with wall mounted televisions without giving them a second thought.

The above is what I did to install a 22" Vizio flat panel LED television on a MORyde dual flex wall system in my 2008 FunFinder 210WBS. Had almost 50,000 miles on it when I traded it in and around 40,000 of them was with the television mounted to the wall and never taken down.

It can be done, and can be done virtually the same as the factory would do it, but, is a little more complicated than just screwing the bracket to the wall and hitting the road

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:25 AM   #8

Not really related to your question, but I bought a Viore 19" TV/DVD combo from Wally World for $150. It has a really nice picture and works great so far.
kujobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying an articulating TV mount, and mounted it to the outer vertical edge of the cabinets that are above the fridge. Perfect. Very sturdy. AND it actually gives me more freedom as to which way the TV is aimed.

Steve
Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #10

Has my 139-FK had the space I would have gone that way too.( mounting on the wood is soooo much easier...)..but once I started actually standing before it I realized it just wouldn't work and I had to use the back wall.

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to smokjump
Default TV mount

I am also having a devil of a time finding the studs to mount a TV. Webslave talked of a "sonar" type stud dectector? I have a very good digital stusfinder (Zircon) but it is not very reliable in the camper. Any details on the sonar type stud dectector? Brand, make?
smokjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #12

Default TV Mount

Okay I have put a 23" Samsung in my 2007 139 and it is really easy. I put all my audio visual stuff in the cabinet where the antenna control is and mounted an arm right on the cabinet between the cabinet door and the sound system. If I want to watch in bed I just pull it out and turn it sideways and down and if I need in the cabinet just push it over to the side and the same for the sound system. The mount has a very short arm so it does not move around all that much and I put a small band around the TV and hook it on the cabinet door knob to hold it to one side when we are traveling. All the cables just fed through the cabinet wall in back of the TV mount and out the hole under the cabinet where the sound system cables come out naturally. It really works great for us. If the grand kids are in the bunk then they can see also. If you wand some pictures just email me your address and Ill send what I did.

Camp for fun but live for Jesus
Ledets is offline   Reply With Quote