Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Default 2012 Fun Finder Xtra 276 Endless Problems

Update: I'm still have problems with my trailer so I'm Still moving forward in smalls claims court. I purchased a new 2012 Fun Finder Xtra 276 Toy Hauler in Jan. 2013 with the rear garage. Nothing but one problem after another for 2 years.

I have found an attorney that is going to take my case and move it to District Court. I had told him about others having similar issues with this manufacture and he agrees it would be great to do a class action against Cruiser RV. He indicates we need more than three to go that direction and issues only have to be similar. If you are interested please let me know and we can exchange information.

It appears most if not all the problems with Cruiser RVs are related to shoddy construction and workmanship. The frame looks to be the driving force to other problems with the trailer. My frame was flexing and twisting so Lippert cane out and welded an additional 4 support beams onto the frame.. My damage includes the following: Lippert installing 4 additional support beams to the frame. The welds were poor consisting of holes and cracks. An area on the frame bent. Everything was coming apart. The kitchen cabinets started pulling away from the ceiling. The Bathroom wall came loose from the floor, all the wallpaper began to bind around the windows, doors, ceiling, Shower Sun Dome and corners. The windows are hard to open, the doors and screen doors would hit the top of the door opening, the door locks would not fully engage, the floors squeak and crack when walked on, the toilet flus system water line was kinked, shower walls bowed and separated from the walls. Ceiling casing and batons either detached or pulled away from walls. The tub put in backwards, bathroom sink cabinet pulled away from the wall and the sink was not glued into the cabinet top, bathroom towel cabinet door warped, shower head will not shut off to conserve water, kitchen faucet dripped, Frig doors show stress cracks on the plastic corners. The speakers were not hooked up. The exterior windows are not flush and not sealed, the outside shower leaked. The toy lock was put in upside down and could not open it. The frig outside access door was not sealed on the bottom, the storage compartment door was not sealed on the bottom, the wheel covers separated from the trailer, each outside doorway plastic cover between the stairs and door bottom buckled and warped, the rear L-Metal piece at the back of the trailer screws have worked themselves out and the caulking has separated, the space of the slide out is different at the top of the trailer from the bottom when fully in, the roof has an area where it slopes down by the bathroom vents and there is a 1/2" separation in the plywood which is not secured to the frame, there is a soft spot that gives and squeak by the rear garage Roof vent, the rubber roof started to stretch and become loose in the corners, they tried to fix it but they did not reseal it very well, the front cap seam on both sides has pulled away from the trailers side walls and is the worst at the top. The diamond plate that goes around the bottom sides of the garage pulled away from the walls and buckled. The diamond plate that goes around the outside of the trailer on the exterior was never attached to the L-brackets so it flapped in the wind while you drove down the freeway. The garage bed was wired backwards and cut off the stop bolt. Now the Elec Jack only works when it wants to. It Either Makes so sound or makes a grinding sound. I really don't know what else could go wrong.

If you know how to add pictures let me know and I will add some.

Thanks for taking the time to read my nightmare. I wish I was you Eagle.
Take care.

TTlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
roy

Wow! That's an extensive list of problems. I've had my share of 276 issues but luckily none that severe. Most I've been able to fix myself and yes about 90% were simply shoddy workmanship. All it would take is a frame issue for me and I would be suing them. That IMO is unacceptable in this day and time. Lippert has turned out some junk in the last 10-15 years on various models with other brands. No excuse for this.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

Roy. One would think Cruiser would get these things fixed. I at first only saw the cosmetic results of the frame issue until my neighbor a certified weld inspector recomended we look under the trailer with some lights. Then the problem was clear when he started pointing out the problems. Lippert sent out a welder to add the additional support beams but his welds have not held up with cracks and holes. Lipperts welder blamed it on Cruiser not putting in enough support beams and Cruiser blames Lippert. And I'm out $30,000 in my retirement money while it sits. What a joke. Nothing like having your money stolen from you.
TTlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #4
roy

I have been under mine numerous times due to issues and while the welding and certain supports look questionable to date it's held up to almost 25k miles traveled. I'm probably at the gross load limit almost always. The only tight turning I do is when backing it down the driveway off the Main Street at my house. I try not to bind up the trailer anymore than necessary as I know the history of Lippert frames.

I really hate reading stuff like this. Pisses me off a company can be so irresponsible with their product. Consumers take the fall financially and emotionally alway.

Good luck to you!

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #5

Sorry to hear your problems. I suspect not all Cruiser's products are this way. I know mine isn't and my neighbor's 276XT has been trouble free.

Lemon's are made every day, in every industry, sorry you had to get one.
It does seem like much of the problems you have had could and should have been caught and fixed at time of sale by the dealer. But, that does not exclude Cruiser's from the blame, as it should never have left the factory like it did.

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip5
Sorry to hear your problems. I suspect not all Cruiser's products are this way. I know mine isn't and my neighbor's 276XT has been trouble free.

Lemon's are made every day, in every industry, sorry you had to get one.
It does seem like much of the problems you have had could and should have been caught and fixed at time of sale by the dealer. But, that does not exclude Cruiser's from the blame, as it should never have left the factory like it did.

Best of luck to you.
I echo Rip5's comments above.

Also, I believe it is the selling dealers responsibility to find/correct any factory defects BEFORE delivery to the product purchaser. That, in itself, would be a great step in reducing such issues you have encountered.

Best to you.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #7

I have a 2013 Fun Finder 189FD. Bought brand new. Nothing but problems! Here are just a few things that failed:

Lippert Flex Guard (the plastic strap that guides the wires and LPG hose under slide-out) failed just 13 months after I bought the trailer! The Flex Guard broke and fell off. The wires and hose got caught between the spinning tire and road and everything got RIPPED out and LPG was spewing down the road from the LPG hose!

Cabinet doors hinges kept coming lose. Finally replaced all plastic inserts with wood dowels and used screws to attach doors.

Replaced bath sink faucet and shower head.

Replaced electric tongue jack.

Reversed bath vanity door as you could not get into vanity!

All four Lippert electric stabilizer jacks filled up with water! I was able to save 3 of the 4 but one was beyond saving. Bought two BAL C-Jacks to replaced the front 2 jacks.
Kept the third Lippert Jack as spare.

Refrigerator kept freezing. Replace the refrigerator thermistor.

Entryway door hydraulic closer just fell off!

Had to move the four stabilizer c-jack switches as they were located in the outside storage area dead center! I had to crawl up into the storage area to get to them! That is just plain stupid!!!

Styrofoam balls were falling into all overhead lights! Removed all lights and sealed with foil tape.

Styrofoam balls were coming from air-conditioner vent. Sealed off with foil tape.

Radio broke but this was replaced under warrantee.

Tire fender covers cracked where the screws fastened them to the trailer. New replacements were almost $400!!! I made my own. Doesn't look as good but not spending $400 every 3-4 years to replace the cheap crap Fun Finder uses!!!

Good thing I am a retired Electronic Mechanic! Let me say this, my 2013 189FD Fun Finder is cheaply made using the cheapest labor and materials possible! Besides the things that have just plain broken I have done some 40 upgrades and improvements to the point where I can now say my Fun Finder is a decent trailer! Would I every buy another Cruiser RV??? In a word...NO, NO and HELL NO!!!
jdhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #8

Sorry about your challenges. I'm guessing there isn't a mass production trailer made that is completely error free. And Cruiser RV and it's FunFinder line are in the middle to lower price range. So-while it sounds harsh, we get what we pay for. But your problem list does sound excessive.
I've had a 2012 210UDS. And knock on the fake wood-it hasn't given me any issues that were too bad. Even new cars get taken back to the dealership for warranty repairs-but I guess there's a lemon law for the excessive problem-prone cars.
It's the industry as a whole. The owner's boards for every other manufacturer has it's horror stories.
Hope you get resolution.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

Welcome to the Forum jdhog,
I'm sorry to hear of all the issues with your trailer... I am only assuming that your dealer did not repair anything..

I have an '08 Cruiser FF (Made by Cruiser) and have not had any real issues, sure it is built light and many of the building materials are not what I would want used (an almost cardboard for paneling, plastic faucets, etc.), and unfortunately, as the rest of the market, all too often, material that I feel is inferior in quality. But I must add that I bought the trailer used and have put over 10,000 miles on it the last two years and other that a few upgrades and maintenance, it works well for me.

I owned a '65 (I think) cabover camper I bought used about '73. It was used and used, but totally fixable... a couple sheets of alum siding, a good cleaning and interior refinish, and it was ready to go. The structure was solid wood, interior cabinets were made of real plywood (Not chip-cr@p), and the paneling was again real plywood that I sanded and refinished...
Many of the older items were build to stay together, and today... it seems to be cost and quantity... I can't say for sure, but it sometimes seems that way...

I hope you find a rig that is built better next time... Look it over well and have the dealer/owner go over every detail...

BTW... I know Good Sam often goes to bat for RV/TT owners when they have extensive issues...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #10

Yes, my dealership indeed made things much much worse!!! Every time I took my trailer in for repairs they either broke something unrelated or they screwed up what they fixed! Here is a good example. When I bought my trailer brand new, they replaced the rear cap (outside rear panel) under warrantee. I got home and discovered a rather large bubble under my rubber roof where they had not reattached the roofing material properly and also the inside air conditioner shroud was cracked! How did that happen??? I took the trailer back and they fixed their screw-ups. They then told me I needed a new front cap as well because there was a slight wave in it. They replaced the front cap under warrantee. That was about six months into the 1 year warrantee period.

8 months later I was traveling down I-5 in California and the temperature was 105 degrees. Another couple that was traveling behind us called me on my cell and asked if I had a rag on my roof? I pulled over and discovered that my rubber roof had pulled away from the front of the trailer and ripped a 6 foot tear in the material! I stopped at a hardware store and bought some tacks and tape to do a field repair to get back home. Got home and discovered that my dealership screwed up the front cap repair and did not properly terminate the TPO membrane under the front termination bar! 50% of the membrane (drivers side) was held down only with self-leveling lap sealant! No mechanical attachment whatsoever!!! So, the lap sealant got hot and soft in the summer heat and air found its way under the TPO membrane and then ripped the membrane to shreds! Fun Finder said sorry but you are two months past warrantee. My dealership said not our problem, out of warrantee! My only option at this point was to repair the roof myself and take them to court later.

Camping World wanted $4000 to replace the roof and could not do it for another 3 weeks. So I purchased some EDPM rubber membrane, glue, lap sealant and whatever else on the internet and did the repair myself for less than $500. And, at this point, I really had a bad taste in my mouth for dealerships and their shoddy workmanship! I Removed the air conditioner and all other components from the roof. Cleaned, sanded and repaired any voids in the plywood roofing material. Cleaned all the trim etc. Glued down the the new EDPM roofing material, cut out the holes for components, reattached the air conditioner, vents etc. And ya know what? I even put the rubber membrane material UNDER the front termination bar and mechanically fastened down the bar with screws! Sealed everything up nice and pretty with Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. This roof will last for a long, long time! It's like the old saying, "If you want something done right do it yourself"!

So, take a Fun Finder trailer that's built, "economically" and then add in a totally, TOTALLY incompetent dealership and what you have is pure hell! I am fortunate to be mechanically and electrically skilled to the point where I can repair 98% of anything that needs attention on my trailer. I now feel that I do indeed have a fairly decent trailer that is dependable and comfortable!

I have other stories and modifications to share...maybe down the road?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #11

Just returned from my trip to the 76th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota.

My BIL and I loaded our Harley's in my 2012 XT-276 and off we went. We spent 3 days at the rally, saw loads of motorcycles of every style/description, rode thu the Black Hills, lost a few $$ gambling in Deadwood, etc. but had a great time again.

The Fun Finder functioned flawlessly again so am extremely pleased with my investment in the unit. It was purchased new, March of 2012 & never been back to the dealership.

Best to all.
2012 Fun Finder XT 276 Toy Hauler & Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with Condor wheel chock
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 AT 4X4 Crew Cab 6.4 L Hemi, 373 gears, tow package, Rambox option, Revolver X2 tonneau cover, Equal-I-zer anti-sway hitch.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #12

JDHog, just reading your sad saga makes me upset. No one should have to go through that kind of misery with something they paid so much money for. If someone was not as skilled and persevering as you are, then they would be totally screwed. It does seem like most things are made more shoddily now. The bottom line seems to be profit and how to get out of any responsibility for the product. When we buy used there is at least a hope that serious problems have already been dealt with and we don't lose that huge chunk of money that occurs when you drive out of the dealers lot. But when we see that shiny new unit sitting on that lot we are often easily pusuaded to think it will be trouble free. Our next one will be used and probably be at least 10 years old. Again, sorry to hear all of your troubles.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #13

Ironically, most RV's are manufactured in Northern Indiana and the predominant labor is Amish. So I ask you, who knows more about modern electricity and plumbing than the Amish? The answer is practically everyone.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #14

Actually many Mennonites live in that area. They use electricity.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #15

I originally posted on another thread... I thought I would repost here due to the discussion regarding quality...

Hi all,
I am not sure if these guys are legit or what, but you might want to research their site... I saw where someone posted the link on another RV/Trailer Forum:
http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

They posted this on their ABOUT US page:
About Us
Since our debut on the World Wide Web in 2000, LemonLawAmerica.com has been a premier lemon law resource for thousands of consumers with defective cars, trucks, vans, SUV's, motorcycles, boats, RV's, motor homes, computers and other consumer products. Our affiliated attorneys have helped frustrated "lemon" owners receive millions of dollars in refunds, new vehicles, or cash compensation most without charging attorneys' fees, as these are paid for by the manufacturer or defendant if a lemon law claim is successful.

LemonLawAmerica.com has been featured on CNN Headline News, on the USA Today website as a featured "Hot Site", in Forbes magazine and is linked to hundreds of consumer websites as a reference for lemon law information and assistance.

Good luck and if you research it, give us some feedback...

Here is the site and thread I found the information regarding LEMON LAW and RV's...
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18772
Good luck all...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #16

Thought I would share this photo. This is my TPO roof after Happy Daze RV in Sacramento CA replaced my rear cap under warrentee. Between Happy Daze and Cruiser RV my 189FDS has been a nightmare! Look at the sloppy work in the corner!
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3006.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	284
Old 08-22-2016, 09:25 PM   #17

That is terrible work! What happened after you saw this? I sincerely hope you told them you were not accepting this.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:47 AM   #18

I did take it back and they did correct the repair. Happy Daze RV screwed-up everything the touched! If you read my earlier post you know that they replaced the front cap as well and that caused a catastrophic roof failure after it was just out of warrantee. I ended up replacing the entire roof myself! I should have taken them to court but I just didn't want to expend the time and energy. And, I have too much invested in upgrades and repairs to return it for a refund.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #19

jdhog ~ although I've not had any major issues, the minor ones encountered and adjustments were all done personally....so I know they were done correctly.

However, any major issue when corrected under warranty by any service center, MUST be done correctly. The center that repaired your unit must have been staffed by those 'warm bodies filling a slot' I've mentioned in other posts.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #20

@jdhog - Sorry your having these issues, I would hope that somehow they make it right. They claim to be a dealer that is for the customer. I bought my Fun Finder from Happy Daze in Livermore (after walking the model in the SAC yard). Seems that warm bodies is more true than not. Most of the dealers in the SAC area are all holding job fairs and looking for staff.
Hope all of your troubles are well behind you now.

G-money is offline   Reply With Quote