Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 06:57 AM   #21

30 lbs. to blow out the lines on your TT is good.
I'm winterizing with this method Saturday. Much simpler.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #22

The camper is all winterized. I used a portable air tank at 30lb. to blow out all the lines. Found the water heater by-pass under the pantry after removing the 4 screws. Mine just had one valve to turn, and it was marked "by-pass". Also drained the water heater by removing the anode and leaving it out for the winter.
Poured some Rv pink antifreeze in all the p-traps, drains and toilet.
It took about 20 minutes total, and about 1 gallon of anti freeze. Total cost $1.79 for the jug of anti freeze.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #23

So, here's my little air compressor.

Whenever I use it, BOTH gauges go up to 100 lbs. How do I adjust the one that has the business end to only put in 30 lbs or so to blow out the trailer's lines? (I'll assume the business end is the gauge on the right?)

I know it has something to do with the red knob, but not sure about the "how" of it...

Thanks for your help.

ON EDIT: Whenever I turn the red knob, BOTH gauges go to the same number. I thought you could load up the compressor with the 100 lbs, and then set the business end to say, the 30 lbs. ? ?
Old 11-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #24
Site Team

The smaller gauge on the left in your photo should be the tank pressure and the larger one on the right should be the line pressure to whatever tool you have connected to the hose. The large red knob should adjust the pressure at the hose end up or down.

If you have a tool attached to the hose, like a tire chuck, the pressure probably won't change until you bleed it off.

If you have the model number for the compressor you should be able to download a manual from Campbell Hausfeld's website.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #25

So, if I have the thing adjusted properly (say to 30 lbs), the gauge on the left should go up to 100 lbs, and the gauge on the right should only as far as 30 lbs?
Old 11-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #26
Site Team

Yes, it should. But the line will still hold 100 psi until you bleed off the excess pressure.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
So, here's my little air compressor.

Whenever I use it, BOTH gauges go up to 100 lbs. How do I adjust the one that has the business end to only put in 30 lbs or so to blow out the trailer's lines? (I'll assume the business end is the gauge on the right?)

I know it has something to do with the red knob, but not sure about the "how" of it...

Thanks for your help.

ON EDIT: Whenever I turn the red knob, BOTH gauges go to the same number. I thought you could load up the compressor with the 100 lbs, and then set the business end to say, the 30 lbs. ? ?
The red knob is the adjustment for your pressure regulator (out put pressure). Turn it to the + side and pressure will go up (only as high as tank pressure) turn it to the - and pressure will go down. Its easiest to use a blow gun to bleed off the pressure. Turn the pressure down, bleed off the pressure in the hose, let the pressure in the hose build back up, and see where your at. Then just keep adjusting until you get the psi you want. I got the same type adaptor but not one you can attach to an air hose. Where did you get yours? I would probably run 25 psi just to totally be sure I don't damage lines, but that just me.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #28

You could also use the pressure regulator that comes with new trailers for city water inlet, that will not allow the pressure to exceed a pre determined number,(45-50 psi) then no need to worry about adjusting knobs, gauges etc.

If 45-50 psi is safe tor city water inlet, it's also safe for blowing out your lines. $8.96 at Wally World
Old 11-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #29

I brought the little tank inside and turned the knob all the way down. Then I turned on the tank (I knew it had no air in it). I SLOWLY adjusted the red knob and got it to stop at 30 lbs.!

Thanks, guys. I think I didn't have enough patience to see it through previously.

I got my little adapter thing online several years ago - amazon, I think.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-Br.../dp/B002XL2IEA
Old 09-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #30

I also have used the air pressure method for years without any problems. I do make certain to either run the water pump to empty it or use the antifreeze siphon to put some in the pump. Personal experience says only a very small amount of water is needed to crack the water pump. Also a small crack will cause a small leak but eventually the carpet will get soggy.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #31

I blow my water lines out with air and then use the by pass valve and RV antifreeze in the lines and in the traps to avoid any issues in the spring since it can get to near 40 below zero here in the winter.

I ain't takin' no chances of a burst line.