Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Default A few Modifications

after 6 days out on "the road" I have a very few things that I want to improve. our camper has a heavy, large and cumbersome table that becomes the middle support for our bed. I think a different bed system is in order. something that slides out to complete the queen sized bed, and maybe eliminates the table.
I also must come up with a good "dog quarters". our dachshunds have been a real pain in the camper. I think some sleeping bags that keep them toasty in the van would be best. I won't go into the adventures and midnight antics that the past few days entailed. but it wasn't nice.

except for wrestling with the table and making the bed, the T139 is perfection

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Site Team

It took our dachshunds a couple of trips to get used to the trailer, but now they're used to it so it's no big deal anymore. They each have their 'spot' they go to at night.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Did someone say "lighter dinette table?" Here you go!

The LMIC (Look Mom I'm Camping): A Lighter Dinette Table (Baltic Birch Ply Instead of MDF and Formica)
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

Actually, Hilda, this just replaces the table but does not do away with it completely -- we like to eat dinner sitting down.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:40 PM   #5

Oh, that table is so pretty! my table has folding legs, not the pole in socket kind. I suppose we could switch the legs from the heavy table to a lighter one.

our dachshunds think our bed is "their spot" and we don't. They are rescues and seem happy in their crates when traveling and at night. the 139 is a bit tight for the crates. I'm going to take a cushy bed, maybe a baby gate and figure out a way to keep them comfy and warm in the camper with us.

most of the issues with the dogs this trip involved upset stomach issues. ugh. we had to throw out their beds the first night.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
Site Team

Our dachshunds also sleep in the bed, they trained us on that long ago. They each have one of those 'stadium blankets' - the ones you get for free from renewing a magazine subscription - and once they burrow in they stay there for the night. They stay at the foot of the bed so we aren't in their way.

We haven't had any upset stomach issues, but with the blankets we could just throw them in the washer at home if we did.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #7

I saw pictures of your little guys, they are adorable! they are standards? our are. we have a black and tan male and a red female. she was in a foster home and is sort of prickly at times. he was in the El Paso shelter, but was pulled by a rescue group, and I picked him up from the shelter. poor little guy has a terrible scar running down his back. He has the sweetest personality, and surprisingly few things bother him.
I would like to have ours sleep in our bed, but my husband just can't get used to the idea. when we just had one, she did. we had dachshunds when I was a kid, they are just so unique.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

We have a mini dachshund. She is 11 years old, sleeps in the bed with us and pretty much thinks she is in control of everything. She has always stayed in her crate when we leave the house so she also has a crate in the camper. The crate is security for her.

2015 FunFinder F214WSD
2008 F150 with Triton.
ChasWray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #9

Ha! don't they all? probably because they are in control
Old 04-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #10
Site Team

Wow, you don't see standard dachshunds very often. No wonder they don't fit in the bed so well. When I first met DW she had a standard and we tried to keep him from sleeping in the bed. But he would just wait until we fell asleep and then get in so we gave up.

One of ours is a true mini, Morgan the danger dachshund, the other, Petey Chiweenie is a mix, but looks mostly dachshund and is a bit bigger than a mini still but smaller than a standard. Both are rescues. Morgan from a rescue group in Casa Grande and Pete from the local pound.

Back to the original question. I'm not sure about the layout of your trailer, but is there space under the table when you set your bed up? Maybe you could fashion a crate of sorts underneath the bed by putting some sort of fence/gate across to keep them in?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #11

that is what we tried to do. the legs of the table sort of freak Penny, the girl doxie, out, so we tied them up. If we had a better way to keep them in, it would have worked. Also, a baby gate placed to keep them at one end of the trailer would work. It fits between the clothes closet and the bathroom door and would give them a nice big area for bed and water dish too. we would have to step over the gate in the middle of the night though. should be ok.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to anthonyx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
That is so much better than what the trailer comes with. I read about someone using something like that, but in two pieces, so the bed portion at the back could always be left as a bed if desired or set up to extend the table, and the front half used as a table for two, or down to extend the bed full size. The cushions also had to be modified to fit the new layout options, but well worth the effort for the added convenience and ease of setup.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #13

I really dislike the table our's came with. a backbreaker to set up and take down the bed. difficult to sit down to and get up from. I almost would rather not have a table at all than one that size. we cut 4 pieces of shelving, 12" x 30" and store under the dinette cushions, 2 under each side. to make the bed, we slide each into place and arrange cushions for bed. I took the legs off our boat anchor table, and put them on the smaller, lighter table that came in our rialta. It is a good size, although we will make a nice table like Dan's soon. I'm not sure we will make it as large as it needs to be to support the bed. I like more room between the seats.