Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Adding a 12V Outlet?

One thing I miss in this new trailer is a 12v outlet (the 2008 X-160 had one).

A question about an inverter to charge the electronics (iPad, phone, camera, toothbrush, etc.) - does the actual inverter suck anything from the battery, or is the battery drain just what is being pulled by the devices?

Think the dealer would charge a lot to install one?
Heck, it's been in his shop for over 3 weeks now...wish I'd thought of this earlier.

I am curious about this because I carry a spare battery with a separate inverter just to charge those electronic things and it's VERY heavy and a PITA to schlep around. I don't want to carry around that spare battery.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 PM   #2

my opinion is to charge the phone, iPad in the truck. That's where I charge mine from on the rare occasion I need to be without mains shore power.
As to the electric toothbrush ( wow, we're getting down to details here ! ) my Oral-B ( Braun ) will easily work for a week without being re-charged ( 120VAC only ).

The one thing I would need an inverter for ( I have one that came from my photostudio ) is the waterpik that is 120V only.

To answer your question, yes, an inverter does consume some power in it's process to convert 12VDC into 120VAC. There is no such thing as a 100% efficient electronic device, so you do in fact loose some energy ( from the battery as source ) in the process to convert it to higher voltage and alternating current.
Wanna discuss the difference between "modified sine wave" and "pure sine wave" ??

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics
Wanna discuss the difference between "modified sine wave" and "pure sine wave" ??
No.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics
No.
...aw.....you're no fun !!!!!
Old 08-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #5

We did install a 12 volt outlet, and we added an inverter. Yes, it uses electricity. But on a rainy night, it is really handy to be able to charge a phone or a small laptop inside the trailer, without having to go into the truck. Just make sure you turn the inverter off when you are done using it. Please don't ask me how I learned this fact.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139
... Just make sure you turn the inverter off when you are done using it. Please don't ask me how I learned this fact.
Gotta ask. What happened?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

By not turning the inverter off in the morning and leaving it on all day while we were gone, I drained my battery. Not completely, but it was not good -- we had to run the generator to recover, and I do not like the generator noise. So we now have a note by the door of the trailer -- things to check before we leave to go hiking -- and turning off the inverter is on that list for sure.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

I have owned two FunFinders and both have a 12v "cigarette lighter" outlet on the back wall of the TV cabinet. This is for powering 12v TVs. We use it to power cell phones using the little 5v USB converters available anywhere for use with cigarette lighters in cars. Granted, the location is not too convenient.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #9

Michelle .... instead of carrying around the dead weight of a battery, I bought a portable power supply about 12 years ago used for jumping a car battery. It charges itself by plugging in a standard 110v extension cord at the back and outputs 12v with either the post cable clamps or the accessory socket on the front. It weighs about 12 lbs and has a nice carrying handle. It holds a charge for about 3 months and comes in super handy. Any 12v item that runs off an accessory socket works just fine with it (including the little USB chargers). I used it for 10 years to run the air pump to blow up our Zodiac inflatable RIB and more recently using the same 12v air pump to blow up our inflatable kayak. I'm currently using it to run the Fantastic Vent fan in the roof of our truck camper shell. I plug the fan into the 12v socket and then connect the power supply to the 110v at the campsite so that I can run the fan as long as I want without draining the power supply. This little guy has paid for itself many times over and has been bullet proof for over 12 years now. It can be stored in any position and typically travels on it's side under the driver's side seat in the truck. Oh yeah, did I mention ..... you can also start your truck with it should your battery ever get low

Old 08-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #10

I too have one of these jump start boxes with built in compressor. More than once it's saved the day. It stays in the truck at all times. Has an output port to USB also

Old 08-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #11

Default 12-volt outlet vs inverter

Maybe I missed something?
It is relatively easy to install a 12-volt outlet (and cheap). They're wired directly to a 12-volt source (battery, 12-volt wire powering a light). This allows you to plug in your 12-volt USB adapter (think cigarette lighter). Then you can plug in your USB cable to the adapter and charge small electronics (phone, iPad). Any time-no on/off, will only use power when something is plugged in.
What I did for a truck camper, was wire an inverter directly to the battery. I bought one that came with a wall-mounted power switch/plate. Easy to turn on/off. Then you've got several options. You can run an extension cord from the inverter to anywhere in the camper's interior to charge or power, just about anything. (We use it to run a Kuerig coffee maker in the morning! When not hooked to shore power.)
I went one step further and rather than using an extension cord, I cut the end off, added a new outlet that is only powered by the inverter.
And yes-turn off inverter when not in use.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #12

Our previous 2014 Ram and the current 2015 Ram has a built in 300 watt inverter right in the dash (110 outlet). I use it to charge my Canon Camera battery as it's not a USB type charger. I also have a 750 watt inverter that I can plug into the 12 volt accessory socket on the dash for additional charging, usually for my laptop while going down the road. Then there's two USB charging ports in the center console as well as a 12 volt accessory socket in the rear of the console which we'll use to power our ARB Freezer Fridge while on the road traveling. Oh yeah, did I mention .... we are Fun Finderless

Old 08-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #13

So, I had the dealer install a 12V outlet. I discussed its location with the "head" tech...you don't even want to know the things he has screwed up by "fixing" them...

Anyway, he came up with a good suggestion as to the location. I agreed. He installed it.

After spending the entire day culling all my crap (per not so gentle suggestions from my pal Geo) and playing with the new fridge, I thought I'd plug something into the new outlet. Tried a 200W inverter whose rocker switch was OFF and nothing was plugged into it. I "thought" i saw its green "power" light come on, but it was gone so quickly, I wasn't sure. I figured I had the rocker switch wrong. Nope. It was in the off position. I turned it on. No "power" light.

Tried a 140W inverter. Nope. Tried the Garmin GPS from my little car. Nope. ALL of these things work in the car and truck.

I saw a red light glowing from the power center. I did not recall seeing that before. If I count the fuses, the red light looks like it's coming from the 10th position, which is labeled as 1A for the CO detector.

I am BEYOND frustrated with this trailer, but I think more so - the damn dealer.

[/img]

Any thoughts/help or should I just go put some sort of explosive underneath this very frustrating trailer??? I just wanna go camping!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #14

The red light indicates the fuse for that circuit is blown. You need to replace the fuse (they pull out and a new one just pushes in). The fuses and a fuse puller are available at any auto parts store. The fuse puller makes it much easier for remove the fuse and install a new one.

The reason the fuse blew is because a 1 amp fuse is way, way to low of amp for a 12 volt lighter socket like that. I'd think a 10 amp would be minimum and 15 amp would be better.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #15

Head tech called me this morning and said he forgot to put in a 15A fuse. So, that's what I did. And all seems good to go. I think this guy might be a schmuck.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #16

You Think?
jtwcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
Head tech called me this morning and said he forgot to put in a 15A fuse. So, that's what I did. And all seems good to go. I think this guy might be a schmuck.

I think you are correct!

Old 08-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #18

I think these guys are called "disrepairmen" Poor service at the dealer level was one of the principal reasons I am now Fun Finderless

Old 08-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #19

I hear these horror stories about service at dealers and am thankful I've had no major issues and the few minor ones, I have the ability and tools to correct myself!

Not all bad being a certified Master Mechanic and a Jack of all Trades.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travels with Yoly
I think these guys are called "disrepairmen" Poor service at the dealer level was one of the principal reasons I am now Fun Finderless
LOL - didn't you get rid of 2 or 3 other trailers, too?

So it might be more fair to say "trailerless" ??