Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #1

Default Adding an access panel to slideout

I have a Shadow Cruiser S225RBS and the wife is frustrated with the access to the under seat stowage in the dining table area. The dining table is in the slide out. She would like to install an access hatch on the outside which would allow us to get into that storage area without pulling up seat cushions and crawling around in a limited space.

It seems like a good idea but I'm not sure about the mechanical issues involved. I am assuming that I could buy a hatch which could be installed but I am concerned about compromising the structural integrity of the trailer. If I had a better idea about how the trailer is constructed I could probably find a way to do the job but I'm reluctant to just start cutting. I think that framing in a hatch should be feasible even if it requires installing a header but would like to know if anyone has more knowledge about the issues involved or has actually done anything like this.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #2

I have a small 210UDS with a similar setup. There is storage under the dinette's slide bench seat. I think it would be more accessible to put in the hatch and get to it from outside. I researched it and found a source for the door/frame assembly. Then I thought about it - we store extra dry goods there: paper towels, plastic silverware, napkins, toilet paper, k-cups, etc. And it would probably be more inconvenient to have to go outside to get the items to restock. So-I ended up thinking it was a great idea - but . . . probably not?

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #3

You have a good point. In our case, we find it so inconvenient to get into that locker that we don't use it at all. After I made this post I contacted our manufacturer, Shadow Cruiser, and they were very helpful. They looked at the drawings for the slideout and determined that there was an aluminum panel where I wanted to make the opening and that cutting into that would probably compromise the integrity of the slideout so I have decided not to do it after all. I will probably just put in some sliding panels in the front of the locker and that will provide easier access than moving all the cushions and lifting the lid.