Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Adding Rear Bumper Storage Rack - anyone done this

While looking at a bunch of TT's before picking my Fun Finder I saw a Sport Trek that had a factory mounted fold up rear storage rack on the bumper. I loved this feature on that TT. While I have been trying to find out what options Cruiser offers (no luck with this by the way) I am thinking that I could fab one, but it would be easier to purchase a kit. Does anyone know if they were ever offered by Cruiser RV? Has anyone purchased an aftermarket one? if so where from.
Here is the one I saw at the dealership

and here is what I have to work with.

G-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #2

One question:

1. Why would you want an exposed rear storage rack where anything in it will be exposed to the elements including road grime/dirt - and theft?

Please don't take this as a smartazz comment, but when buying a new unit, it seems a slightly larger camper would have been better....but that is just my opinion.

??

Old 07-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
One question:

1. Why would you want an exposed rear storage rack where anything in it will be exposed to the elements including road grime/dirt - and theft?

Please don't take this as a smartazz comment, but when buying a new unit, it seems a slightly larger camper would have been better....but that is just my opinion.

??
No offense at all, the bumper mounted storage rack would be mainly for bike, extra dog kennel, and/or some wood. Items that I would not want to store in the trailer or if for some reason the back of the truck is lacking some room. And yes I was going for a larger TT but the wife talked some sense into me and only get a size we needed. Little does she know we will probably be wanting a bigger one in a few years, I just know how she likes room.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

and why doesn't the fun finder line come with a ladder, is the roof not rated to walk on??
Old 07-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

It seems that it would be best to have a frame mounted rack rather than a bumper mount. The bumper may not be rated to add more weight to it.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #6

Adding weight to the very back end of a trailer is not an ideal location. On the roof or hitch are not so great either. I hate it when my trailer starts wagging like a dog's tail.
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-money View Post
and why doesn't the fun finder line come with a ladder, is the roof not rated to walk on??
The roof is made to be walked on in order to clean it and/or service the A/C, skylights, vents, etc. I don't believe it's designed to carry a bunch of stuff piled on it...therefore no ladder which also keeps the cost down.

As for the bike rack on the back, I've read some horror stories about the bumper not being strong enough and them breaking/ falling off. There seems to have some success if the rack is welded directly to the frame leaving the question as to the amount of weight placed at the very rear of the camper too.

Some say the solve the problem by placing the bicycles/coolers or whatever inside the camper since no one is in it when moving anyway.

I believe it's possible neither a roof storage area w/ladder nor a rear bumper storage rack is provided due to some exceeding the weight limits.

Just a thought.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #8

Not sure where I made the impression that I was looking to load stuff on the roof, the question on the ladder was only for cleaning and maintanence.
I did Fong in some old threads some people have used the bolt on 2" hitch from E-Trailer to mount a bike rack, will probably be the way I go.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Not sure where I made the impression that I was looking to load stuff on the roof, the question on the ladder was only for cleaning and maintanence.
I did Fong in some old threads some people have used the bolt on 2" hitch from E-Trailer to mount a bike rack, will probably be the way I go.
OK - in error assumed ladder for roof storage from question about a rack on the back bumper.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:06 AM   #10

FYI ~ I carry a ladder with me should branches drop on the roof of the slide out or for some reason there is a need to get on the roof.

A telescoping ladder takes little space, is lightweight and serves the purpose.

They are available from several sources ~ this is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-Te...lescope+ladder

also available here and elsewhere -

Telescoping Ladder by Extend A Step

12 5ft Aluminium Multi Purpose Telescopic Ladder Extension Foldable Steps EN131 | eBay
Old 07-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
FYI ~ I carry a ladder with me should branches drop on the roof of the slide out or for some reason there is a need to get on the roof.

A telescoping ladder takes little space, is lightweight and serves the purpose.

They are available from several sources ~ this is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Telescopic-Te...lescope+ladder

also available here and elsewhere -

Telescoping Ladder by Extend A Step

12 5ft Aluminium Multi Purpose Telescopic Ladder Extension Foldable Steps EN131 | eBay
That's an awesome little add, I will be picking one of those up for sure. Thanks for the links.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #12

A word of caution. When collapsing the ladder be sure to keep your fingers from getting pinched!

Don't ask how I know. ;-O
Old 08-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
While looking at a bunch of TT's before picking my Fun Finder I saw a Sport Trek that had a factory mounted fold up rear storage rack on the bumper. I loved this feature on that TT. While I have been trying to find out what options Cruiser offers (no luck with this by the way) I am thinking that I could fab one, but it would be easier to purchase a kit. Does anyone know if they were ever offered by Cruiser RV? Has anyone purchased an aftermarket one? if so where from.
Here is the one I saw at the dealership

and here is what I have to work with.
One store that sells a foldup type rack is Harbor Freight. I think it is supposed to mount to 2 inch receiver but I'm sure a good tinkerer can figure out alternative mounting. Best of luck.
mthiker33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #14

Default My 2 cents

Why no ladder? Not sure exactly. But-all ladders need seriously reinforced mounting points. And it is very seldom used when on the road/camping. In all my camping days I hardly ever see anyone on their roof, sweeping it off, doing maintenance, etc. Most of the time that's done at home, in the driveway. Do those ladders come with weight ratings? I mean if rated at 200lbs and a guy weighing 210lbs with a bucket of water and tools rips the ladder off the mounts, what happens? Maybe it's liability. Heck-Half the time I'm traveling, anyone with a ladder, has another ladder bungee-corded to it or 2 lawn chairs. I even stopped carrying my telescoping ladder.
I doubt it's cost related-they could/would just add it to the total price, or charge as an option.
As for the bumper mounted rack-those rear bumpers are seldom welded all the way. Mine was welded with small strips, not a weld the entire length of the connecting point. I reinforced-but with the bouncing effect at the rear of the camper, it really stresses the mounts out.
Just my opinions.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #15

i bolted on a reese trailer hitch and it works fine...used for light bulky stuff

Who is happy? One who is satisfied with what they have.
The problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you're finished.
billyt is offline   Reply With Quote