Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #1

Default Adding skylight

I love the amount of light the bathroom bubble skylight lets in and I would like to install another one in the living area. Has anyone done this? I found a guy on eBay that makes nice ones but they don't come with the cowling to mount them. Any ideas?
17 x 25 RV Trailer White Thicker New Skylight Lexan Polycarbonate 14 x 22 ID | eBay

Old 10-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #2

My instinct would be that, depending on the time of year, you may end up just making your trailer much hotter inside. I love the light as well, but for any off grid camping, extra heat in the summer would be a no-no for me as the A.C only works when you're plugged in. I've also noticed since I'm Fall camping right now (going down near 0 Celcius 32 F some nights) that the bathroom with the skylight is MUCH colder than the main room in the morning. Could be because of the location of the heater (under stove top) but I'd be afraid up here in Canada of cutting a hole in the roof and somehow lessening the strength of the roof for snow load. For this winter I've found some indoor storage, but may not be able to keep that up in the long haul, but figured it was worth it for my first winter, given the 'quirks' I've found in the trailer so far.

dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #3

Good points! I don't live where there's snow (but might travel there) but it sure gets hot here. I could do a double pane, maybe . . . But I think you have a point about weakening the roof. Thanks!

Liz

Tags
light, mod, skylight