Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

Default Alarm sounding

We bought a 97 Shadow Cruiser slide in camper a few weeks ago, we know pretty much next to nothing about this type of camping; we are graduates of tent camping.

The camper has been sitting for a couple weeks, not hooked up to any electric and not being used; two days ago we heard an alarm going off inside, it was the carbon monoxide alarm. It wasn't that annoying little "tweet" that you hear when the backup battery is getting low, this was a full scale alarm. We couldn't figure out what the problem was, finally we plugged it in to the house electric and the alarm stopped immediately.

Is it normal that the alarm should sound when the RV battery is low?

Also, there are two detectors, one for propane, the other for carbon monoxide. One of them (can't tell which) is now making the "tweet" sound, like we need to change the battery. Is there a battery for these detectors? We can't figure out how to find it and are afraid to pry too hard on the cover that we might break it.

Thank you.
Vicki

VicTimOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #2

Our trailer does the same thing when the RV battery is getting low on charge. One thing to look for is the 12v disconnect switch. I am not sure if they had them in the campers, but the Cruiser RV Trailers have them and it helps keep the battery from running down as quick, also prevents those alarms from going off! Check in storage compartments, and in the back of cabinets and shelves for a 3 to 4 inch rectangle box, about 2 inches tall with a silver knob. If you find it, push the knob in to disconnect the battery from the trailer circuitry.

Hope this helps!

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip, we'll look around for a disconnect switch.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #4

if it helps my disscont knob is in the passenger side front compartmant, the one yuo opne from outside
Old 06-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #5

Hello JeepGuy, what year is your camper? I'll look in the compartment you mentioned and see if ours is in there.

Anyone know how we can change the CO2 detector battery? We went camping this past weekend and the darn thing chirped all night!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #6

I had the same problem. I thought I was the only one!!!

My alarm went off when the trailer was hooked up to house power. Under battery power, it was fine. And pressing the mute button would work - for about 1 minute. Then it would squeal again.

How did I solve it?

I bought a new alarm. I was told the alarms go bad every few years. I found the exact model on Amazon, since it was a few years old. I wanted the same model so I wouldn't need to cut new holes. It was risky, since if that didn't work, I'd have TWO bad alarms. But it did work, and how, I'm a HAPPY CAMPER!

Until you buy a new one, disconnect it.
paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:06 AM   #7

BTW-

To disconnect it, we did it the old-fashioned way. We unscrewed it from the wall and disconnected the wires. The wires were meshed together, and we just untwisted them.
paulitzlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #8

Default Wailing LPG detector

I thought that I would revive this thread, since my propane detector is wailing while there appears to be no leak or other source of propane.

The instructions that came with the trailer say that the detector will beep-beep-beep if the RV battery is low, and that it will beeeeeeeeeeep if it is detecting propane.

The trailer is parked, outdoors, all closed up, no shore power. Starting yesterday, beeeeeeeeeep, loud enough that I could hear it more than 50 feet from the closed trailer. I opened the door and sniffed -- nothing. I made sure that all the gas appliances were off -- they were. I made sure that the propane tanks themselves were shut off -- they were.

The only way to kill the deafening beeeeeeeeep was to disconnect the RV battery.

So -- do I have a leak that I cannot discern? Do I have a bad detector?
UsedCookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #9

Greetings Used Cookies, BTW, that is a great screen name!!

If the propane tanks are closed, I can't see how the detector could detect anything. It has to be a faulty propane detector. Find out what make/model and Google it, should be able to replace it for $30.00 to $50.00.
Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #10

Default It's the Fuse at the Battery!

We have a 2006 T-139 and the problem you may be having is the fuse that runs between the battery and the trailer. On ours there is a fuse attached to the positive wire right as the wire enters the battery case, outside of the trailer. Open the cap of the fuse holder by the battery and remove the fuse. Our dealer told us that the day we purchased it and the "beep" reminded me of his words when it started. The dealer stated that, anytime the unit is to be stored, remove the fuse or the drain on the battery will start the CO2 alarm. Now that I do that there is no "beep". Hope that helps!

kegbender is offline   Reply With Quote