Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #21

Pics in post 11 are now showing.

snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlsmith View Post
Apparently if I post a link to a picture in my photobucket account it requires admin approval of the post.
Yes, pictures at first are that way.

And yes, the thermostat regulates the furnace. But it is also possible that your air conditioner has a heat strip installed. Nice when you have electric at your campsite that you already pay for. Saves your propane.

Also, it is quite possible that you may be able to get an owners manual online. Maybe on eBay or through other places.
We were lucky yo get all manuals with our trailer from the original owner even though we bought it used from a dealer. Also maybe someone on this forum or another one could copy pages for you. Refrigerator vents are outside the vehicle on the wall where the fridge is.
Tons of basic info on youtube and the various RV sites.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #23

CruiserRV sent me a manual that is lacking to say the least. They said they don't have model or even line specific manuals, just a general one that covers all RV's they sell. For AC, it just says some may have heat option. Thanks for that CruiserRV.

For the gas cooktop, it doesn't even mention how to use it, just what to look for if it isn't working.

The is the entire information provided for the furnace, but hwat is odd is that is refers to a model spefic manual that I was told didn't exist.

Quote:
Note: The furnace is a LP gas appliance. Please read the manufacturer’s manual for all safety and operational instructions. This manual is included as part of your informational packet with your unit. Failure to read the user’s information manual and follow the instructions could cause fire or explosion causing property damage, personal injury or death.

The furnace installed with your unit uses a sealed combustion system. The combustion chamber is completely sealed off from any contact with the interior atmosphere of your unit. All air for combustion is drawn from the outside, and all products of combustion are vented to the outside.

New furnaces may emit smoke and an odor during the first few minutes of your initial operation of your unit’s furnace. This is the result of paint burning off the surface of the heat chamber.
This is not a malfunction, but is to be expected in a new unit, and may actually not occur, since the furnace may have already received a test run during Pre-Delivery Inspection at the factory. Opening windows and the door prior to your initial lighting of the furnace will help you vent any odor or smoke.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:32 PM   #24

How can you tell if the AC has the optional heat strip?
Old 02-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #25

For appliances you need to refer to the manufacturer; Dometic, Atwood, etc. Cruiser just manufactures the chassis (coach, unit, etc.).
By the way, tires are extremely important! They may look good and still be unsafe. They have a date stamp on them... week and year. The last set after the Word DOT.
The age is what matters. Also tires should be covered with something if they are sitting in your yard. Sun degrades them.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #26

Went to the cooktop manu and there site was no help, can't find a manual for my model, or even a pic of it. I may need to do some disassembly to try to find a model number.

For the AC, a search with the model number and/or part number finds nothing. I will try to call them now that it is normal working hours.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #27

Quote:
How can you tell if the AC has the optional heat strip?
There will be controls on the unit. Plug the trailer in to shore power and operate the heat controls if they are there. If no controls or if no heat comes on, then you don't have it.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Went to the cooktop manu and there site was no help, can't find a manual for my model, or even a pic of it. I may need to do some disassembly to try to find a model number.

For the AC, a search with the model number and/or part number finds nothing. I will try to call them now that it is normal working hours.
You might post a photo on here of your appliances and someone may give you info. Cooktops snd air conditioners are pretty much the same for several years.
We may even have the same ones.
The cooktop needs to bleed air from the propane lines before you light a burner with a matchstick, etc. You also do that before lighting the furnace for the first time.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
...You also do that before lighting the furnace for the first time.
I think we may have just found the problem. I figured it would have an electric start like the fridge has.

Will go grab a couple pics of the appliances.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #30

Quote:
I posted yesterday, but it said it had to be approved by an admin.
Hi snlsmith, welcome to the Forum and I can understand your frustration...

From the web: RV Furnace Troubles - Fixing RV Frunace Problems
Fan runs but no heat.

If your furnace fan starts you can assume that the thermostat is working.

Possible problems are insufficient air flow through the furnace a bad propane valve at the furnace or a bad regulator at the propane tank.

A furnace contains an internal sail switch, that senses the air flow. If the air flow is not sufficient then the switch will prevent the furnace from igniting and the fan will run but you will get no heat. A slow motor speed could be caused by a low battery or other low voltage cause such as a bad connection in the wiring.

Low air flow could also be caused by a restriction in the ventilation system. Check to see if any heat registers are closed or blocked. Some furnaces will not tolerate even a partial closure of a heat register. .

If you have an electronic ignition check to see if the two contacts are touching or are too far apart. They should be about 1/8 apart.
Okay, I believe you most likely have electric ignition... Your Furnace cover and thermostat look like mine and I have an A/C on the roof, but my A/C does not have the heat strips. Do you have a wall switch for heat? If not, I am going to assume that that the above troubleshooting applies. Ensure you have the 12volt power switch turned on and either have battery/ies connected or plugged into shore power, my unit work on 12volts and the little internal sail switch mentioned above also works on 12volts... If this guy doesn't function for whatever reason, the propane will either turn off or not turn on... it is also a safety feature for you... if the unit failed to lite, this will also turn the gas off at the furnace.

BTW, when you bought your trailer, did the seller give you a "Trailer Book", often referred to as a "Build Book"; this should contain all the information on the accessories and appliances installed in your unit. If you purchased it from a dealer, he should be able to supply this for you. Mine came with a 2" binder full of data and I continue to add to it... I recommend you do the same.

You should also be able to get the Serial & Model number off your furnace and look it up on the Suburban Site... Good luck and if purchased at a dealer, get him/her involved...

Your Picture attached (I marked it up as mine functions)...
Attached Thumbnails
Suburb T-Stat.jpg  

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #31

BTW, Your gas bottles have a safety (Major Leak) feature in them, if you turn the valve on too quickly, it will shut the gas back off...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #32

Quote:
I think we may have just found the problem. I figured it would have an electric start like the fridge has.

Will go grab a couple pics of the appliances.
Nope, not electronic. Okay.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #33

Roof AC unit.

Here is my AC roof unit.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #34

Gas stove

Old 02-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Roof AC unit.

Here is my AC roof unit.

In the car now heading home. Manuals at home. I see heat on your dial but it looks like there is a connector with no wiring connected. Maybe for heat tape. Your stove looks like yours but not sure. Will check with our manual at home.

Someone else may chime in.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #36

Okay. Home now.
Re: Airconditioner- yours is like ours. That middle plug is for the optional heat strip. You don't have one. So it is just pre-wired for one. The manual does say the heat strip does not take the place of a propane furnace. Most of us use a small ocellating electric fan to save on propane costs. Our airconditioner is a Dometic (Duo-Therm). The manual we have covers your model. Let me know if you need instructions, but it should be self explanatory.
----
Your cooktop has a different name on it than ours. We have a Suburban model SDN2-SDN3 manual for ours. But yours may be the same product with a different name on it. They all should operate similarly. Let me know if you need PDF 's of operating instructions emailed.
--------
We also have a Suburban direct vent gas water heater.
The manual covers various models. Again, let me know if you want a PDF.
---------
Our refrigerator is a Dometic DM2652. We have a manual for this as well.
------
Furnace is a Suburban . We have manual for models NT-16SE and NT20SE
-----
Our pump is a Shurflo potable water pump.
We have the manual.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #37

Thumbs down

Quote:
Gas stove

Your stove top is exactly like mine. They do not self ignite. You turn knob to the lite setting then use a match or lighter to light it to get flame. Once you have flame, turn knob down to the desired flame setting to cook. Don't cook on the 'lite' setting. Sort of like a BBQ setting.

Your ac ceiling unit is like mine as well with the heat option. But like you, I don't have the 'accessory' heat option installed.

And as said by previous poster, when hooked to shore power at a camp site, I use a small electric heater for heat rather than the propane RV heater to save my propane. And that is much quieter as well. RV furnace is noisy as hell. And I use small electric fan for cooling/air circulation. I only turn the noisy AC on to get humidity out (especially if I am using cook top stove.
Even if the stove vent hood fan is on, it can heat up quick and create lots of humidity inside when boiling veggies or something), I put AC on then turn AC off for sleeping but leave my electric fan on.

Word of advice... I'm assuming most RVs are alike here but I could be wrong... however, if using cook stove inside and you turn on the vent hood fan, make sure to go outside and 'unlatch' the vent hood vent flap so steam/and Odours can escape. On my RV, it's 2 little tabs to push aside so flap opens. Vent hood won't work otherwise and humidity will build up fast inside. As another member here fondly says, 'don't ask me how I know this!' Lol.

2nd piece of advice... when packing up to leave a site, make sure those 2 tabs are locked into place on the outside vent before heading down the highway! Add that to check list of things to do!

You mentioned fridge... mine runs on propane or shore power and has auto button which automatically detects when shore power available and switch to that instead of propane. My RV is in storage right now but I believe it is Dometic model.

For example, when I'm home my RV is plugged into shore power ( with LP tanks turned off) to keep fridge cold. That way I can leave some things in fridge( condiments etc) rather than empty it completely after each trip.

When I leave for a trip I turn LP tanks on and, of course, I'm disconnected from shore power and my fridge will click a few times as it switches to LP. I ALWAYS check to make sure it DID switch over. Sometimes it doesn't but I just have to press the off button on fridge then the auto button. You can hear it click and know it's working.

When I get to camp site and plug into shore power I do the same and make sure it did, in fact, recognize shore power and switch to that.

The thermostat on wall only controls the RV furnace under your fridge. It doesn't control the AC unit on ceiling at all.

Hope some of this helps and not redundant info you already know.

When I got my trailer I asked questions and did a LOT of google searches to answer my questions. Oodles of you tube 'how to' videos out there

The best part tho? Even at a camp site you can ask a complete stranger for advice or assistance and you'll always get help.

As said many times before... everyone is happy to help the next person avoid the mistakes or dumb ass moves we've all made... ��

... and one day... soon... you'll have your own dumb ass storey to tell... �� Lol. Happens to us all...
Old 02-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
BTW, when you bought your trailer, did the seller give you a "Trailer Book", often referred to as a "Build Book"; this should contain all the information on the accessories and appliances installed in your unit. If you purchased it from a dealer, he should be able to supply this for you. Mine came with a 2" binder full of data and I continue to add to it... I recommend you do the same.
Thanks, I was surprised when I was told by the manu that this type of information didn't exist. I will get with the seller to see if they have it. Not sure if the were the original owners or not.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Nope, not electronic. Okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Okay, I believe you most likely have electric ignition...
Well, that makes it clear as mud.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Well, that makes it clear as mud.
Hehe, I meant not electric ignition, have to light it manually. Sorry!!!