Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Default Am I not finding an LP switch?

Bought an XT-200 and taking it out for the first time this weekend. Went to turn on the heat (that PO said it had) last night and it only blew cold air. All research was very inconclusive as to whether it would just have a heat strip or a heat pump, although my last trailer that had an almost identical ceiling unit was a heat strip.

While investigating the possible use of LP gas for the heater (tanks were turned off last night when trying to use the heat), I noticed I don't even have gas to the stove top burners. I have gauges on both tanks that shows they are about 80 and 90 per cent full, so that isn't the issue. I have opened up every access panel, looked underneath, and am just at a loss for what the issue could be, both with the gas and the heater (as long as it does have the heat option).

RV: Fun Finder XT-200
A/C: Brisk Air DuoTherm 57915.541 / prod # 991760426

snlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

I am sure you have thought of this, but I find that when I light my stove for the first time in a while, it takes about a minute for the air to purge and gas to emerge. I hold the lighter over the burner till it is burning cleanly. After that, I can light my furnace or water heater or fridge -- but not till the stove has gotten rid of the air.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #3

hadn't thought about that, but someone else locally suggested the same thing at almost the same time you posted. I did get each burner to light, but was partially thrown off by nothing happening when I put the switch to the "Lite" position. Figured it would have an igniter or something to start it in that position. Apparently it just puts it on very low so you can manually light it. Have to run to a gas station tonight to buy a lighter (borrowed one for testing) so I can cook my eggs in the morning.

Still haven't figured out the heater issue, wondering of the thermostat on the wall is bad. Coincidentally, there is an RV show about 30 miles away that we may hit tomorrow if I can't figure it out.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #4

So after you have lit the stove, turn it off. Then switch on the thermostat and wait. First, cold air will come out of the furnace. It takes a good two or three minutes for the air to get warm.

By the way, keep asking questions! Us old timers enjoy saving newbies from our own newbie mistakes. Please don't ask how long it took me to figure out how to purge the air from the gas line.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlsmith View Post

While investigating the possible use of LP gas for the heater (tanks were turned off last night when trying to use the heat), I noticed I don't even have gas to the stovetop burners.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you intended to say, but by what you DID say was the LP tanks were turned OFF. If LP tanks are turned off there can be no gas going to heater or stove! Hence no heat or gas for the stove.

Am I'm missing something here?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnie View Post
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you intended to say, but by what you DID say was the LP tanks were turned OFF. If LP tanks are turned off there can be no gas going to heater or stove! Hence no heat or gas for the stove.

Am I'm missing something here?
Yes, he said "(tanks were turned off last night when trying to use the heat), I noticed I don't even have gas to the stove top burners. "
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #7

Cool

So...isn't that the obvious reason why they didn't work??
Old 02-19-2017, 09:06 AM   #8

Red face

Quote:
So...isn't that the obvious reason why they didn't work??
Seems reasonable.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #9

It can't be that simple. Snlsmith, help us out! And if it is true that the tanks were off, we can all laugh together -- believe me, I have done many similar things, only no one was around to watch.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
It can't be that simple. Snlsmith, help us out! And if it is true that the tanks were off, we can all laugh together -- believe me, I have done many similar things, only no one was around to watch.
Yes! We definitely have!!! Lol!
Old 02-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #11

They had been off that first night I was trying to get heat, not realizing the system may be heated by the LP gas.

After doing some research that night and realizing the heat may be gas powered, the following day when troubleshooting I had the gas tanks ON. Once I got a lighter I have confirmed that the gas IS working (and cooked eggs this morning), but I still have not been able to get any heat from the overhead unit, it just blows cool air even after running for 10 minutes and the thermostat turned to high.

In this pic, the right cover is the fuse panel, middle is the water heater, and I thought the left was the fridge, but am unsure now. I see a gas line, so wondering if it the furnace as the fridge gas line is access via an outside panel.

This is a pic of the thermostat. There is no ON, OFF HEAT/COOL, or anything like that. Only the adjustable lever on the top to change temp. So far, thinking this may be the culprit, although if that lower left panel cover is a furnace, maybe the pilot just isn't lighting.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #12

I did it once... turned on heater and only got cold air. I was ticked thinking my tanks were empty... till I finally realized they weren't turned on!!!

And I laughed and laughed... at my stupidity...😜😂😝
Old 02-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #13

Talking

Quote:
I did it once... turned on heater and only got cold air. I was ticked thinking my tanks were empty... till I finally realized they weren't turned on!!!

And I laughed and laughed... at my stupidity...😜😂😝
No one is invincible from goofs!!!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #14

I posted yesterday, but it said it had to be approved by an admin.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by snlsmith View Post
I posted yesterday, but it said it had to be approved by an admin.
Hmmmmm....I wonder why? So what did you figure out?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #16

So first, to address the elephant in the room, the gas was OFF that first night when I was trying to get the heater to work, not realizing the heat may be LP powered since the roof unit I had in my previous trailer was electric only.

After doing some research that night that indicated mine may possibly be LP powered, the following morning I did have both tanks turned ON (and gas level gauges showed tanks were 80-90% full) when troubleshooting.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #17

After getting the stove running (tested all 3 burners), I tried to run the heater position again with no luck. Tried a few different times over the weekend, even running it for 10 minutes with no heat out of the ceiling unit. If you have a furnace and thermostat, will the heat still come out of the ceiling unit or somewhere else?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #18

Isn't your air conditioner on the ceiling? Ours is. Ours has an option for heat (a heat strip) but we don't have it. The controls are on the air conditioner itself.
Our propane furnace has a grill near the floor. Some models have central heating vents though.
So if your air conditioner has a heat strip it would be run off of electric, not propane.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #19

From the research I did, since I have a thermostat, then it should be the furnace doing the heating duty.

This pic is the area below the fridge. Right panel is the fuse box, middle is the water heater access, and I think the left is the furnace. Thought it was the fridge, but the fridge LP access is via a panel on the outside.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #20

Apparently if I post a link to a picture in my photobucket account it requires admin approval of the post.