Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Default anode rod

Well just opened up the xt-245 from winter storage. As directed for winter storage I drained hot water tank and then stored my anode rod in the tank. This seems to have caused a brand new anode rod to have been eaten away. Seems to be decintegrating already and I only used it 1 time last year to test my FF after I purchased it. So my question is what is the best way to store the camper when it won't be used every weekend. With water in Hot water tank or drained? Also in winter pull it or leave it in. I will purchase a spare to have on hand how should I store it to keep it good for when I need it which I am thinking will bee soon. Are there better grades of these to watch for? My Hot water model is a sw6de.

Thanks for anything you can share with me. I am a new FF owner bought this late in the season last year and have not had it out yet.

PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #2

If you are going camping once a month during the season or more frequently (hopefully ), just leave the water in it. Won't hurt anything and you won't have to fill the tank before you go just to make sure it is still water tight.

Wear on your anode rod, whether in water or not (there is humidity in the air inside the tank) is normal; that's what it is supposed to do. Pitting and cratering is nothing to be concerned about, just normal "sacrificing" instead of the same thing happening to the surface of your tank, and trying to keep an anode "pristine" is an exercise in futility...just let it do its job. Unless it is wrapped in plastic (that's how they are shipped from the manufacturer of the rod), it will corrode just sitting on a shelf. Most people also tend to replace an anode well before it is necessary, based on "how bad it looks". It, as opposed to the inside of your tank is supposed to look that way. You shouldn't have to replace an anode until you can see the rod it is built around (yep, there is actually a steel rod inside the zinc) and you will normally see it first at the junction of the rod and the nut. Just because it is pitted and lumpy (kind of like me), you don't need to replace it (nor am I in need of replacing, despite my looks! )

Always store it "installed" into your tank...it won't do the tank any good if it is sitting in the garage or storage bay. Put it in the tank (keeps critters out also), let it corrode (that means it is corroding and not your tank) and let it get really rotten looking (you should see the rod) before replacing. The anode rod in my old '08 210WBS was never replaced, spent well over a year and a half's worth of days in it, all across the country, in every type of water imaginable, and it is still going strong for the fellow that bought it when I got the 5ver.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #3

Default thanks

Thanks for sharing I was not aware what this was going to look like when I put it away it was brand new. Good info thanks for sharing. I'm pitting any grey myself just part of life I hear.
Thanks again
PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #4

You're quite welcome

99.8% of the population doesn't even know that their water heater has an anode, let alone what one looks like, new or used. Now you are in that privileged top .2%

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote