Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 05:40 AM   #1

Default Anti-Freeze amount

Time to winterize my 2011 Viewfinder FB21V. Assuming a 50/50 mix, How many gallons of anti-freeze should I expect to use?

talltimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:08 AM   #2

Never have seen RV antifreeze a "50-50 mix" ??

Use it right out of the container without diluting with water.

Or are you planning to use regular automotive antifreeze? If so, WRONG CHOICE as it's toxic and not to be used in a potable water system.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

I play it safe and use 3 gallons rv antifreeze.
Remember to bypass water heater.
2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #4

I prefer to blow out the lines with air at each tap inside using a tire-inflater looking threaded adapter (from Camping World) at the city-water hose input - then after draining the fresh water tank and hot water heater I add a tiny bit of super-cheap vodka to the fresh tank. I found the taste and smell of the RV antifreeze stuff lingers forever, whereas the vodka leaves no flavor or odors - tho of course I flush the tank thoroughly in spring before first use.

2010 Shadow Cruiser 189FBS
2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4X
dpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #5

How's it working out? I over did my antifreeze last year because I followed the manual I received when I bought the camper and my fresh water tank is still funky even after flushing with bleach solution and fresh water it helped but it's still lingering.
Pc Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Never have seen RV antifreeze a "50-50 mix" ??

Use it right out of the container without diluting with water.

Or are you planning to use regular automotive antifreeze? If so, WRONG CHOICE as it's toxic and not to be used in a potable water system.
Fear not! No plans for automotive anti-freeze. this is my first time winterizing an RV - a few early online reads showed discussions of 50/50 mix, then I actually saw how cheap the RV antifreeze is - I'm going full strength!

I bought 4 gallons. I get that some don't like the after-smell/taste, didn't find it too bad this year (our first season - the lines did have the pink stuff...) I did do a bleach out of the tank before first use of the holding tank (first few trips were on city water).

I like the notion of blowing the lines out - but have reservations about mold growth in the empty, but damp, lines, as here in MD it won't stay hard frozen all winter.

And I know all about bypassing the water heater - now - because I didn't know about it the first few camps (it was still in bypass mode) and we didn't have hot water!

Thanks to all for the advice!
talltimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to tidalwave142003

Since my first year of paying for winterizing, i do it myself now, i use a air compressor set to 20 psi and connect it to the city line blow out all the lines from the closest line to the longest line open until air blows out the faucet with no water, then when you have done this two times thru nothing needed to put in the supply lines. just enough in each drain to keep the loop drain line filled. That it and no waterline failures in 9 years

tidalwave142003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti, anti-freeze, antifreeze, freeze, winterization