Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #1

Default Anyone Seal Their Roof Yet??

I'm thinking it's probably time for me to be thinking of sealing my roof (2005 model)?? I did a search here but couldn't find any posts about it. Haven't any of you had to do this yet? How often do we do this ???

Remember, I am an extreme rookie!
Susan

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #2

welll..I am assuming the 47 people who read my post have never had to seal a roof...I guess that's good? Actually, yesterday I went to see the dealer that originally sold my 130FK to the PO...and we had a good talk about the rubber membrane roof...it seems it is two layers, a black roof membrane, covered by a white protective membrane on top. He says that you should never have to apply those expensive coatings until the protective white membrane starts to wear thru and the black is peeking thru. He did caution that you may have to check over the front and back edges as they tend to get a crack at the edge that needs caulking...he just stressed that after cleaninghte top thoroughly at least 2 times a year, you need to really look it over and check for any cracks in the seams along the front and back edges, and of course around any roof appliances. he said that the regular-coating ads are just a joke that is perpetualted on teh unknowing public...

So i guess I'm OK for now, as mine looks fine... (but getting up there to look is NOT fun!
Susan

Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

I was thinking of sealing the roof also ,the paint on type that comes with cleaner in gallon containers.
Any thoughts
2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Team

You really don't need to seal the roof. It should be cleaned periodically - I think the warranty that came with mine recommends twice a year.

You should also check all of seals around the edges of the roof membrane and around all of the stuff like AC, fans, vents, etc. (and the windows/doors/storage doors, lights) for peeling and cracking and reseal/repair any seals that have deteriorated. I check mine at least one a year. It's not unusual to find a some areas where the sealing material is starting to crack and needs touch up.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

Default sealing roof

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2008 FF 189FBS and although I have no signs of any water leaks anywhere I went ahead and ordered a 50' roll of the 4" Eternabond Roof Sealeant.
Per their instructions and after watching the youtube videos I installed the tape over the existing sealant after cleaning the roof and sealant with acetone. (Caution don't inhale to much of this stuff when on your trailer roof unless you can fly)
The tape went down easily and formed a very tight bond with virgin roof on every joint. It did take some time and creative work with a exacto knife to get a good fit around all the odd shaped fixtures on the roof but I was very satisfied with the result.
2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650
14 NRS RAft
14 NRS RAft
montanacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #6

Interesting thread as leaks are the enemy. Last year I was at Texas RV Supply in San Antonio and watched them putting on a new rubber roof on a Avion fifth wheel, cost $5000, Yikes!

I have also heard about and seen many photos of Eternabond. I am wondering if MontanaCamper could post some pictures of his roof work?

I am hoping this year to to take our 2008 230DS for a leak test and see what comes out of that. So far it appears the seams and roof are holding up well but that's how those nasty leaks work, you don't see them until it is too late.
qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #7

Default Resealed my roof with Eternabond

I will post some photos as soon as the snow melts off the roof. We are still having winter up here in Montana. The mutiple freeze-thaw cycles we have had this winter should be a good test on how Eternabond holds up. As I had no sign of leaking previously I will not be able to tell if it cured a leaking problem.
14 NRS RAft
Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #8

montanacamper

where did you buy the tape?
camping world has it online for $96.00
what brand cleaner did you buy ?
thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #9

Default Resealed my roof with Eternabond

I paid about $97 for a 50 ft 4" wide roll, including shipping, from Eternabond. This was enough to do every seam on my 189 with some left over.

I used acetone which cleans the existing sealant and roof material very easily and dries immediatly. You just need to watch fumes.

There are several very good videos on you tube that give exellent instructions I would recommend watching these before installation. Especially pay attention when they give you hints on how to remove the backing. It can be a little frustrating until you get the hang of it then it's a piece of cake. A good metal wall paper roller will be a big help as will good scissors and a x-acto knife.

It sticks very well to the roof and to itself so cutting small pieces to work around the vents and other odd shape took a little time but turned out good.

Good luck
14 NRS RAft
Old 03-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #10

I went to there websight its onsale for $61.18
http://eternabondroofrepair.com/eter...4x50-roll.aspx
I added a spray cleaner and tube of cork that brang the order to $79.00 that gets free shipping.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #11

Two years now since I put on the Eternabond and nary a droplet of water...I'm thinking this may well be a permanent fix...

Sure wish it wasn't so ugly so I could extend it dow nthe outer corner...

if it wouldn't make it look like it was wrapped in duct tape I'd consider it