Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Modifications, Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #21

I guess I'm not too particular at this point "how" it looks...more important to me is that it works reliably. I originally liked its sleek, modern look, too.

I have not been able to use the fridge long enough since I took delivery to see if it does not function properly while on gas. I think it's been in the shop more than it's been in my driveway.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #22

That really sucks and is not good way to start a relationship with Fun Finder. Although this is not their problem they need to figure it out.

I really suspect the solenoid since I had to turn the gas on and off several times or get the stove going to make sure it lit.

Now it seems good but thats no comfort when a fridge should be a reliable appliance.

Skripo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #23

As far as I recall, they checked the solenoid on the first fridge.

I don't even know what my recourse can be. Any thoughts? I've never been in this position before.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #24

I am researching some stuff for you, let me get back to you later.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #25

Just got this reply from dealer. I told him you were having the same problem and thought it might be the solenoid:

NOT the solenoid. There is gas there. We just need to make sure it is the right amount of gas.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #26

Actually it seems my problem resolved itself through use. I have not had one switching failure this trip.

In terms of your dealer:

The solenoid opens and closes the gas valve according to energy source. When on gas, the solenoid moves the valve to the open position, when on AC, it closes the valve.

When I had the issue all i had to do was turn the valve off and on manually, then restart the fridge. I called Atwood and discussed the issue at length and they had me check the voltage which I confirmed as correct.

My best guess is that some of these valves 'stick' when new and need to work themselves in. As to your dealer's comment, I agree. The gas has to be there so either the valve is not opening properly or there is an issue at the supply side.

I bet it's a valve issue because manually closing and opening it gets the fridge going.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #27

Dealer applied some sort of "machine" that measures the amount of gas in a term called (I think) column something or other. He said that was fine. Atwood is today saying it is the fault of the trailer, not the fault of two of their fridges.

the fridge does not fail when it's been hooked up to shore power for only a short time. The fail happens when it's been on power for a day or more. It lit all day today, but had failed Tuesday morning when it was hooked up to power over the long weekend.

All of it's above my pay grade!! I just wanna go camping!

So, yours was having the same exact issue - would fail when hooked up to power for more than a day?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #28

when you say "manually" opening the valve, how does that happen? The dealer said what they're doing is after the fridge goes into "CHECK" mode, they restart with the button on the fridge itself (the thing tries to light 3 times and then fails/check)...at least I think that's what he said.

So, how would one turn the valve manually?

ON EDIT: Why wouldn't you want a Dometic?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #29

Mine would fail when hooked up for a day or more. Once unplugged you would hear it click as it tried to spark the gas. It was clear that the gas was not flowing.

To manually reset I would go outside, remove the refrigerator access panel. To do this you simply use a quarter to rotate the black clips at the very top 1/4 turn.

Now locate the manual shutoff at the bottom right of the panel. it has a black rubber on it and indications for on/off. It is partially covered by a heat shield.

Turn to the off position, then on position. Go back inside and push the blue button to turn the fridge off, then on again. It would then spark up and all was good. Once started it would never fail and would easily switch to electricity when plugged in.

On my last outing, it went from electric to gas flawlessly. I believe that cycling the valve manually relieved back pressure on the solenoid valve allowing it to be in the proper position for the next cycle, After several cycles, it finally seemed to have resolved the issue.

I am NOT an engineer nor do I really understand why this worked, I can only guess. The bottom line is that it has worked for me. It is very simple thing to try so ask your dealer to do it 20 to 30 times in a row to see if it works. I would not wait a day between each cycle, I would do it one after the other in the hopes of loosening up whatever is sticking.

We are not the only ones to have this problem so it might be a small batch of the latest fridges produced (mine is in a 2015 242BDS).

Please see my previous post as to why I d'ont want a Dometic. I understand you want to go camping, I would be pissed too so maybe a Demotic is the best solution but before you go that route ask your dealer to try what worked for me.

I will PM you my phone number if you wish to discuss.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
Dealer applied some sort of "machine" that measures the amount of gas in a term called (I think) column something or other. He said that was fine. Atwood is today saying it is the fault of the trailer, not the fault of two of their fridges.
Year dealer was measuring the gas pressure in the line at the firidge. It's supposed to be 11 inches of water column. The fridge is designed not to start if the pressure is too high (14 inches) or too low (10 inches). The pressure can be adjusted at the regulator on the propane tank. So your dealer was verifying that the pressure of the gas delivered to the fridge is where it should be. He probably also measured the lock up pressure - that's the maximum pressure the regulator should deliver when the gas is turned on but all of the appliances are shut off. A faulty regulator could allow the lockup pressure to rise above 14 inches in which case none of the gas appliances should light.

It sounds like Atwood is blaming the problem on the regulator. I suppose its possible that over 24 hrs the pressure could creep up over 14 inches with a faulty regulator. An easy test would be to swap out the regulator and see if that fixes the problem. Assuming the dealer hasn't done that already.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #31

Here is the email I received from my dealer this morning:

Atwood has called this morning and is asking us to do a few more checks. After checking what they asked, we are to leave it on electric for over 24 hours and then try switching it again. We’ll keep you updated.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #32

Before leaving for work I unplugged my fridge to test it and sure enough, it switched to gas without a hitch. It even started in 3 'clicks' when it normally took 10 or more.

The point I am trying to make is that I believe some of the valves have a tendency to stick when new. Lets review:

1) I had the exact same issue as you
2) When I manually turned the valve on and off it worked
3) The problem persisted for 2 trips
4) The problem disappeared with use
5) You dealer validated that the correct pressure was delivered
6) Your dealer changed the fridge
7) The problem persists

The last thing you can do is have him cycle the fridge 20 times, or better yet, use a 12V source to power the solenoid on and off to break it in then retest. If that doesn't work, ask for the Dometic.

I could be completely wrong and far from an expert, but my problem disappeared with simple use.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #33

Check this out:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/27930374.cfm
Old 09-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #34

I may not have a trailer yet (STILL in the shop), but I have a garage well on it's way to being completed for its protection from the relentless TN sun, should the trailer EVER make it back home...

Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #35

So, yesterday, while starting to prepare for an upcoming trip, I went out to the trailer at 6:00 in the evening. The dinette table was absolutely flooded with a leak in the slide (see other thread on THAT).

Dealer emails me this morning and tells me to bring it BACK up to them so they could look for and fix the leak. Roger.

I unplug from shore power and sure enough - the Atwood fridge DOES NOT switch over to gas! Grrrrr. Went to "check" mode. I turned it off and back on manually - still would not light. So I just left the damn thing in check/beep mode!

While I'm at the dealer while they're fixing the leak, Atwood management calls the dealer (Andrew is guy's name). Andrew comes out to me in the waiting room and says that Atwood would like to speak with me! ?

Get on the phone. She introduces herself as so and so, such and such management position. Mind you - Atwood kept telling dealer that it's not their fridge (even though both fridges (original and replacement) failed and that dealer should blame Cruiser. Cruiser blamed Atwood. Round and round they went, leaving me frustrated beyond belief!

Well, if I was told the truth this morning, turns out it IS Atwood's fault (indirectly). Supposedly, a supplier of theirs changed some spec by 1/16 of an inch, which has caused all these problems, not with just me, but with many. It was supposedly just enough of an extra gap that something did not recognize that gas was flowing. Atwood's engineering people only discovered this unknown change just yesterday. Cruiser had escalated my issue to Atwood Management and that is how this woman got involved. She is overnighting a replacement part to dealer, which will hopefully arrive on Monday. I can stop by on my way out camping on Tuesday and they can install it (should take no more than 30 minutes). Atwood lady actually asked dealer if we wanted another new fridge, or just the part. JUST THE PART - dealer had to remove window to get new fridge inside the trailer!

So, with the leak SUPPOSEDLY being fixed, and the fridge about to hopfully be fixed, I'm back to being a happy camper. I do hope this nightmare is over and I can once again become a fan of Fun Finders!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:43 PM   #36

Good for you.

Just think how boring life would be without these 'little events' happening?

Your 'heads up' on the frig event should assist any others with the same issue.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #37

Now, after a few more hard rains (to make sure leak is fixed), I'll be able to store the little thing in its brand new, and as of yet, unfinished, garage! (no door, no gutters)

Also, just got a telephone call from Gentry at Cruiser...he was calling to make sure I was satisfied with the results of today's dealer visit. I told him if this fridge fix worked, I would once again be a Happy Camper and Fun Finder Fan!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #38

Yay! I will call them Monday to get my replacement.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #39

Just a thought I would ask the dealer to do a leak down test with a water column gauge on the LP gas line (5 min. minimum) there should be no leaks! Sounds to me like there is a minute leak that is interrupting the normal start sequence.
TV: 2015 Silverado 3500 HD
Duramax
thefarside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #40

Default You are very patient!

Sounds like the Book of Michelle should be added to the Bible right after the Book of Job. What a hassle! I commend you for your patience and positive nature through all this.

Kevin & Kate is offline   Reply With Quote