Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #1

Default Awning operation

Anybody has a link to a manual ? Looking to test open/close before we go camping.

Last time we tested, I ended up placing the support bar on the ground (got a generic manual). From pictures on this forum I have seen, the support bar sits on the wall of the trailer.

tractng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

You don't mention trailer model or manual / electric awning, but, I'm going to assume it is manual since you said you put the support bar on the ground (they can be used that way).

Here's a link to a good "generic" manual awning instruction with pictures:

Manual Awning Setup

Hope that is what you were looking for...

BTW; it always helps to state year and model of your trailer when asking for help. CruiserRV makes a boat load of models now and over the years, things change; i.e., in 2008 when I bought my 210WBS, they didn't offer a power awning on any of their models...no power stab jacks either

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #3

Thank you webslave. It is a 2007 funfinder X139 model. Awning is a manual setup.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Site Team

My awning (manual) can be set up either way. The support bars can be left against the side of the trailer or unhooked and set up vertically on the ground. They have holes in the feet so you anchor them with a tent peg.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #5

LJAZ is absolutely correct Most manual awnings can be set up with the support arms in the grounded position (usually referred as "patio mode") or with them remaining attached to the side of the trailer. I've even seen folks with them buried in a 5 gallon bucket of sand for a more "permanent" setup. One advantage of the patio mode; it gets the support arm verticle and out of "head banging" range Most electric awnings don't have that option, but, most electric awnings have their support arms much higher and there is reduced chance of "head banging" with them. My old trailer had a manual and my new one an electric. For me the jury is still out...I liked some of the features of the manual (sturdier, more adjustment, much easier to attach our "tacky" lights to, etc.), but, I like the ease and some of the features of the electric (10 seconds out, 10 seconds in, can pull it in without even going outside, beams are well above our heads when out).

One caveat with using the awning in the "patio" setup...in the event of a sudden storm or strong wind gust, the patio position is the least "sturdy" and the hardest to take down in a hurry. I'm the lazy type and like to leave the awning out until the last second and hardly ever used it in the patio mode.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #6

Finally got a chance to test it again. Just learned that you have to be careful when folding the awning up. First time, I let go the strap and it flew into the wall .

I do notice that when I put the awning back, the top portions doesn't sit on top of the support piece. What the previous owner did was used bungee cord and wrap the supporting bar (to safe guard the locking mechanism from coming off)
Old 07-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #7

We have a 2008 F2. When manual awning is retracted one side of the fabric is tighter than the other. Does anyone know how to adjust that? Thank you.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #8
APD

Talking

Hey Mary. A couple of things maybe....
Has your awning material ever been replaced? If so then it may not actually be the exact same length on both sides. (factory installed can be that way as well....)
Another can be that the roller is no longer square with the side of the camper. Check that it rolls the material evenly and doesn't "spiral" the material as it retracts. (hope I explained that right)
I replaced our awning material and had to slide the attachment at the side wall forward and backward till it matched with the roller when extended. Then it rolled up just fine.

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote