Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #1

Default Back up camera

Anyone wired up a Back Up camera to the back of the trailer? If so, how did you activate the camera - reverse lights or switch? Picked up a cheapo set up from Cambodian Tire ( actually it seems very good!) and figured it would be good on back of trailer to assist the missus when she backs up the trailer. I didn't see any back up light circuits for the FBR189T 2004 and don't think they every had such a thing?

rewindgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #2

I've never seen back up lights on a travel trailer, and don't think they're avalable on FF's. Just use a toggle switch mounted within reach of driver. You'll have to run video signal from camera to tow vehicle, be easy to run switched power lead at the same time. You have any info on the camera you can post?

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

Camera is cheapo from Canadian Tire. It is wireless. I will probably have to run an extra 2 wire connector to trigger the Camera from a toggle switch. Since the wifie will be pulling the trailer also, I wanted it to be very easy as she has been known to drive away with trailers wiring calbes still attached before! Now there will be an extra cable to unplug #@*!&^
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser soze
I've never seen back up lights on a travel trailer, and don't think they're avalable on FF's. Just use a toggle switch mounted within reach of driver. You'll have to run video signal from camera to tow vehicle, be easy to run switched power lead at the same time. You have any info on the camera you can post?
I have a 189fbr trailer and i did add holigen white fog lights to the back of it cuz i was constantly backing it up in the dark and couldnt see sh*t anyways you pull vehicle should already be set up with the back up like wire for the trailer and the plug on the trailer will have the wire for the back up lights just cut off at the end of the cord anyways i put the back up likes on and also got a camera for the back and hooked up all up to that back up light wire. works perfect. the center prong of the plug is the backup lights connection and the wire coming out of the end of the cord on the trailer should be purple. if its the plug with the spade conections if it has the round connections its the very bottom connection and the wire is still purple
queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the information: trailer is at home for Easter weekend and I will hook it up!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #6

Default Back up Camera

Okay - there is no purple wire in the trailer connector or wiring. So, my 2004 has not exisiting wiring for reverse lights / back up camera. The Honda Ridgeline does have it wired to the plug. I just ran an extra 2 prong plug and now camera transmitter powers up nicely. Was kinda a pain extending the coaxial cable from transmitter to camera - but I finally got it done. I do notice that if you have Factory tinted windows it will interfere with the signal from moniter to transmitter - open the back sliding window and everything is crystal clear - keep it closed and there is snow on the screen?
All in all I think that it is a good investment ($100.00) and the wife can now back up without smacking into things!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #7

Default Re: Back up Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
Okay - there is no purple wire in the trailer connector or wiring. So, my 2004 has not exisiting wiring for reverse lights / back up camera. The Honda Ridgeline does have it wired to the plug. I just ran an extra 2 prong plug and now camera transmitter powers up nicely. Was kinda a pain extending the coaxial cable from transmitter to camera - but I finally got it done. I do notice that if you have Factory tinted windows it will interfere with the signal from moniter to transmitter - open the back sliding window and everything is crystal clear - keep it closed and there is snow on the screen?
All in all I think that it is a good investment ($100.00) and the wife can now back up without smacking into things!
Im glad you got it working that sucks your cord didn't already ave the wire in it. Mine did and it made things go alot smother and i don't have to worry about seperate conections.
queball110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #8

check this link out

http://www.rvcams.com/
Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #9

Why not just rig the camera to be on whenever the Truck is on? That's how I'm wiring mine up. It'll help see what's going on back there all the time, instead of just when backing up.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #10

I couldn't get mine to work with the distance involved. Worked OK at the back of the vehicle, but the cheap wireless just didn't work with that distance to the back of the trailer. I tried to mount in to the side of the trailer and power it from inside the trailer, but these cheap cameras are not meant to be left on. Mine overheated and died. I thought I could use mine while I was driving so that I could see the traffic around me better. I think they were just designed to be used for backing up only.